Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning bolt holes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I blow out with compressed air; if gunk is stuck in there, I have some old gun cleaning brass brushes I chuck into a drill and run that in the hole, and then again, compressed air. If there's no thread damage, I wouldn't run a tap in it, although thread chasers can help as long as you have the right size. You can clean bolts with brake cleaner, won't always work, just keep it away from the bike. I have a grinder with a wire brush on one side, use that to clean gunky bolts, just don't get carried away, will eventually remove metal, too (and throw your bolt across the room if you're not real careful). I replace bolts with any damage or pitting, unless they're big, expensive ones, and then it's a judgement call. Look at the threads on a bolt; if they have a flat side, or noticeably more angle on side, it's been over torqued badly, and then it might be a good idea to run a tap in the hole, since those treads probably got stretched, too. Think about that the next time you want to crank a bolt down without a torque wrench. You'll probably only get away with repairing threads once.

If I don't know the bolt size, and feel too lazy to dig the thread gage out, I press the tap against the bolt; you can tell if the threads match, and compare widths. If it's really tight and doesn't want to go in, drop a size. If it goes in and wiggles, up a size. Just never force the tap. If you do use a tap, keep it lubricated (motor oil works), and don't force the tap; break one off, and you'll probably have a shop get it out, if they can. When/if it gets tight (like a bolt getting tight), back it out, clean the shavings, oil again, and go back in just a little farther, and repeat. You can "nibble" with more success than just playing gorilla with it. I've taken over an hour to clean out a bore in hard metal, making over a dozen "nibbles" for each turn. When you're working with something that costs tens of thousands of dollars, the time doesn't matter. If it costs way less, but it's yours, it's worth it, too.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Aire
Most of the time if you use a regular tap to clean threads you end up removing metal as well & that can lead to loose fitting threads. A thread chaser tap is better for this.

A brass wire or nylon wire pistol barrel type brush used with brake cleaner & blown out with compressed air does a good job & doesnt damage the original threads.
+1 that this is the way to go! Sears has an SAE and metric set, both chaser taps and dies, for $50.00.

Here is an excellent article about this very subject...

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=44321.0

With a regular tap & die you risk cutting metal that you don't want to lose!

Steve

Old 02-08-2012, 02:57 PM
cp1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide to use the tap set be careful not to bottom the tap out and break it. Or worse yet rethread the holes. Bolt with slots works and the price is right

Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I use a brass or plastic brush and parts cleaning solvent. Be careful using compressed air as it will blow stuff back at you.
I have used the slotted bolt method for chasing threads that were filled with paint. Usually it doesn't take much to clean the little bit of gunk out of threads unless the hole was open in very dirty conditions.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Bolt holes

Originally Posted by iclick
I've never used a tap set, although that's probably the best idea. Instead, I spray some solvent (naphtha) in the hole and loosen the crud with a q-tip, blowing out the excess solvent with compressed air.
I'm with iclick on this.

I wouldn't go trying to re-tap anything unless I had known damaged threads. The issue is gunk. I typically use naphtha. Better known as lighter fluid. It cleans as well as brake cleaner without the fumes of brake cleaner which are bound to set off every smoke detector in your house.

Naphtha is almost odorless and very effective. Compressed air, brush, tethered the clean bolts in and out and clean again.

Did you ever by mistake go to tap something and realize you grabbed the wrong tap?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I blow out with compressed air; if gunk is stuck in there, I have some old gun cleaning brass brushes I chuck into a drill and run that in the hole, and then again, compressed air. can clean bolts with brake cleaner
I agree.
There's no need to chase the holes with a tap unless there is some old Loctite in the threads.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 02-08-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't tap perfectly good threads, I use a wire brush, works for me.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
Did you ever by mistake go to tap something and realize you grabbed the wrong tap?
Not yet.

I don't use regular taps to clean threads either. I have two thread chaser tap sets, one for fine threads and one for course threads. Jims sells the course thread set for about 50 bucks, but you can find the same thing from Jegs for about 15 bucks.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,955 Likes on 19,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
Do NOT use taps if you can keep from it. There are reasonably priced thread chaser sets out there that won't remove metal, only the gunk. They will also reshape damaged threads to a certain extent.
+1 ... Yep! ... We have a winner! "Lakerat" is 100% correct! ..... NEVER use a tap to clean out undamaged threaded holes .... a thread chaser is designed to clean out the hole and the threads without removing any metal!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the Craftsman thread chaser kit, SAE fine and coarse, metric, tap and die. Will not cut any metal, just clean up the threads.

Quick Reply: Cleaning bolt holes