Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On a scale of 1-10, how hard is a complete exhaust swap on a 2012 FLHX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say absolutely no higher than a 4, and that's pushing it.

It depends on what type you are putting on. TDs are extremely easy. My Power Duals were a Pain In The A$$ to get lined up. Not hard, just a pain.

Like mentioned, ensure you do not have any leaks. Tighten from front to back, but not until it's all assembled. The "leading bolt" (front cylinder, closest to frame) can be a royal pain to tighten depending on how your heat shields are designed.

Other than that, piece of cake. Take your time and read the directions.

If you have chrome, don't forget to clean it with Windex or something to get the fingerprints off before you fire it up.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
LOL! Well that just depends on YOUR ability doesnt it? For me, somethings might be a 2 but for you a 10, or vice versa. Seems like every time I try to do anything for the first time, I later find out how I did it wrong or could have done it better or faster. Experience is the BEST teacher. Good luck on your swap out. Now if I can just get this thingee back in there with that other thingee......
Ditto on that one. Generally speakIng, if you are competent with a wrench then it's a 2.5. I prefer using a crows foot for the front exhaust, FYI.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:44 PM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By yourself its a 4-5, with a friend helping its a 2-3. A couple things to remember... 1) DO NOT over tighten your header bolts when you install your new exhaust. 2) Leave all of your bolts, brackets, etc loose until everything is on and fit nicely, then go back through and tighten everything. Its easier if you can move parts a little bit one way or the other. My new Sinister Industries 2into1 pipe is 5 bolts... takes me 4 minutes to take it off.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

If you're working with a metric rider/racer...probably ~9-10, but solo w/right tools, parts & beer it's a easy 2-3...

Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Approximately a 2. Hardest part is removing the slipons from the headpipe.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never done it before... got my 2011 SG, didnt want to fork out 3 hours of labour, took task to replace myself... not very difficult.. id say 2-3... just take your time... will feel proud once your done. do some reading, make sure you remove stock gaskets and replace with new ones, its true like others mentioned, hardest part to align exhaust inlets to cylinders,,, i was alone, did it, but 2 would of been a piece of cake. if it dont work out for you,, just ride to HD and let them install it after you taken your stock pipes off.... but !!... wear earplugs lol...

Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend is an expert mechanic I'd say. He has swapped an LS2 into a 1790 Chevelle and he road races a GSXR and he does all of his own maintenance to his track bike.

I want to not be afraid to work on this thing!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:13 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have the mechanical inclination to already own a torque wrench, you can easily do the job. Figure 3 hours for a first timer. Its really straight forward. Get a service manual so you have all the torque values and enjoy the experience. If you can change your own oil, you can swap out the exhaust.

If you get stuck, post a question here...you'll get lots of help.

Good luck.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

What kind of pipes are going to use? Not that it matters but the power duals are a little harder to line up then others.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Dresser Duals and Rinehart 4" slip-ons.
I found this video and its making me really anxious to put them on!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQpj7...eature=related

Quick Reply: On a scale of 1-10, how hard is a complete exhaust swap on a 2012 FLHX?