Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Lwood Classic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Change Question

I have a friend who has an '09 FLHTC wheel for sale and was wondering if it would fit on my '01 FLHTC. I know there was a major change to the bike in '09. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the wheel bearings are different sizes between the two. I don't know if they can be swapped out for yours or not. I know they are different part numbers between my 07 and the 09.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM
dsw1519
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm not mistaken the axles on the 09 are different than the 01. I had custom wheels on my 07, and they wouldn't fit on my 10.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

been several threads on this forum, use the search function to capture all info. my experience is as follows: different wheel bearings, late model 25MM, early models 3/4 of inch up to a certain year, think it was 00 or 01. then 1 inch until 07. The 08 and up have 25 MM wheel bearing and the bearings are different widths, than the one inch, 08 up, 25mm thinner than 07 down. second is axle, obviously axle size matches bearing size. third is spacers. 07 down bikes, one front wheel spacer longer than the other. 08 up bikes both spacers same size. Fork legs, same from 00 up thru 12, go figure.

now for the exceptions, if it is a stock harley wheel you have to adapt either the bearings to the axle, or the axle to the bearings, in either case as long as it is a stock harley wheel you will need new spacers. So you have to adapt two out of three components. For my money, i put a 10 wheel on a 04 bike. i purchased a 25mm axle and 08 spacers, did not change bearings and it bolted right up. Still got old axle and spacers in case i want to go back at some point.

now if it is an aftermarket wheel, say a billet wheel made by who ever, the bearings are still thinner and are 25 mm. You can purchase a new hub for an older model and change nothing else (expensive $250 +) or buy a new axle. With some billet wheels, you have to use the old spacers as they need the longer spacer on one side.

long story short, it is a little bit of trial an error.

if you go stock, it is easier, if you go billet custom, it may take more than one try. carefully think it through. a new axle can be had for about $80 new (think hidden front axle, time for an upgrade), new spacers are about $40. so potential of $120 if you do not change bearings. new bearings about $30 bucks online, then you have to pay someone to change them or buy the tool to change them yourself, so maybe equal dollars, who knows.

i did not address rotors. since the wheel i got did not have any. but they may be different.

probably more than you want to know.

my .02

Last edited by bigskyroadglide; 02-07-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old 02-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Lwood Classic
Advanced

That's what I love about this forum. You guys are awesome! Thanks very much for the info.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

you didn't mention if it were a front or rear wheel. front wheel, bigsky is dead on. rear wheel, aint happening. at least not for a reasonable amount of money.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

01 has a narrower swing arm also so may have to upgrade to an 02 or newer.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Lwood Classic
Advanced

Sorry. Yes it is a front wheel. I had seen a thread about this somewhere on the forum but couldn't find it via the search engine. One of the reasons I have so few posts is because if one just does a basic search you can find just about any answer to just about any question you might have. I didn't really want to ask this question because I knew the answer was there somewhere, but . . .

Thanks again. I am always amazed at the generosity of forum members to share knowledge and great advice.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brake calipers are different also.

mikebaby

Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 PM
dsw1519
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one other thing that might be helpful. I put SE wheels on my 2010 SG, and my buddy wanted to put my stockers on his 2010 Ultra Limited, but his bike has ABS but my bike doesn't. The wheels wouldn't fit because the wheel bearings are different for some reason.

Quick Reply: Wheel Change Question