Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bass and knees hurt after riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Jon0807
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put bars on before adding a backrest. Tho my comfort level was 10000 times better I still had some back pain cause I tend to slouch when riding for a while. After adding the backrest any pain I've felt is gone. I haven't gone very long distance but I have no doubt that it would be very comfortable with my set up

Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bass says he's sore as hell after riding too, and that I should have left him in the lake where I found him.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 AM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bars: Wild one 570's stopped pain between shoulders and wrists. Sundowner seat moves me forward to much (6'1", 33" inseam) like backrest but not the look of it

Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Backrest for sure. Highway pegs to stretch the legs. Bars are more for arms/neck and maybe upper back. If you go all chrome, yes, nearly $1,000 with HCC, pre-wired, preinstalled controls and perches.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Apes are comfortable, backrest really can add some comfort....

But I doubt that either one of those will address a sore *** or knees.

For the butt the absolute best thing I have found is the airhawk seat pad, it is amazingly comfortable. It is also UGLY. For me it is worth it on my touring ride.

The next best thing is modifying your seat with some comfort foam, or getting a different seat.

For the knees you gotta stretch them out some...either a little with the harley goodies floorboard extensions, or more with some highway pegs.

I have both on my ride.

The pic below shows the highway pegs I am running...so in addition to getting the legs stretched out for the knees...those pegs are adjustable while riding and I have an infinite # of foot positions.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:42 AM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Apes are comfortable, backrest really can add some comfort....

But I doubt that either one of those will address a sore *** or knees.

For the butt the absolute best thing I have found is the airhawk seat pad, it is amazingly comfortable. It is also UGLY. For me it is worth it on my touring ride.

The next best thing is modifying your seat with some comfort foam, or getting a different seat.

For the knees you gotta stretch them out some...either a little with the harley goodies floorboard extensions, or more with some highway pegs.

I have both on my ride.

The pic below shows the highway pegs I am running...so in addition to getting the legs stretched out for the knees...those pegs are adjustable while riding and I have an infinite # of foot positions.

Holy crap! Those look like a set of Shimano DX pedals from the 80's. Nice!!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:01 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by cubalz
Holy crap! Those look like a set of Shimano DX pedals from the 80's. Nice!!!!
Thanks man!

Here is a video of a bunch of different style pegs.

These pegs are produced specifically to increase comfort while riding by giving lots of adjust-ability AND a larger platform than a traditional peg ...and too look good! Oh, and for the go-fast guys, with the trap and traction pin style, no more foot slipping off the peg at speed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7cptFNnYeU

Old 02-08-2012, 03:24 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Adjustable backrest was the best aftermarket investment I've ever made. Get a backrest & some highway pegs and you should be good to go, IMO.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

If it's your butt and knees that hurt, you need a better seat, and some pegs to stretch
out your legs, like most have already said.
I have a bad back, and could not ride without a backrest, with properly placed
highway pegs, you can push your back into the rest for maximum comfort.
With my back, I tried a few seats, the best was my corbin close solo, custom order
with softer foam than they normally use. Their regular foam is hard as a rock,
and takes some time to break in. With the softer foam, the seat was comfortable right out of the box! Man, I love that seat!
Secondly was a mustang backrest, very adjustable, and comfortable.
I have a corbin backrest too, but it's not as comfortable as the mustang.
I use the HD short angle highway peg mounts, but they are mounted low, so I don't have
extra strain on the back from having the legs too high.
I could never see how it would be comfortable with the highway pegs some folks have.
Looks like they are on the OBGYN table, ready for an inspection. LOL

The more options you have to move your legs around the better, riding stuck in one position for hours can be very painful.

Last edited by Ragtop; 02-08-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyeking48
Hey all.. After a day of riding my butt and knees both hurt. I have a 09 street glide. I am thinking of getting a drivers backrest. I have a stock seat and a sundowner seat. The sundowner seat seems to give me more support but I don't like the look of it. I usually only have it on when the old lady is with me. I know what you are gonna say, put apes on it. I would like to but I don't have 1000 bucks right now. Does anybody else have any opinions?
Need to know more first.

Does the bike "fit" you properly? How tall are you, and how long of an inseam do you have?

Might not be a bad idea to take your bike to a dealer that has a "fit shop" and have them take a look at your riding position.

Quick Reply: Bass and knees hurt after riding