Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reckless fairing

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You can do it, just plan it out before you cut anything.

I'm working on adding handle bar controls for the stereo. Thats +8 wires for a total of 12 to go to the fairing.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM
ellisj1@comcast.net
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
You can do it, just plan it out before you cut anything.

I'm working on adding handle bar controls for the stereo. Thats +8 wires for a total of 12 to go to the fairing.

where did you find the handle bar controls? i have been searching.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

My 2009 Road King came with cruise, the switch housing have spots for the cruise and stereo controls. The stereo control holes have cover plugs over them.

I have the switches already, it just the matter of opening the controls, mounting the switches and getting the wire down through the handle bars. (yes, my control wires are in the handle bars)

Once you have the wires into the fairing your going to have to pick up either a PAC steering wheel control interphase which converts the input from the switches to the pulse code for the radio of your choice.

Or one from Biketronic which does the same thing. The biketronic has one feature that the PAC converter doesn't. The Biketronics has a automatic volume control that works off the speed signal of the bike and it basically adjusts the volume to match your speed. The PAC is around $50.00 and the Biketronics is around $160.00. For an extra fee Biketronics will put a plug on the converter to match the plug in the radio.

Biketronic has a system that is called a Nomad which has everything to put switches on your control and control a wired remote ready stereo. The switches mount to the bottom of your control with a heavy duty 3M tape.

This is the simplest but also the most expensive Apx $375.00.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM
ellisj1@comcast.net
Intermediate

i found this:
http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.p...products_id=31

i know you can get a housing from harley that has the openings for the audio controls. i just havent been able to locate part number for the switches

Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

The problem with Hawg Wired interphase is i is designed to plug into the HD factory stereo harness which the Road King does not have.

I can look up the factory switch part no. Biketronics can also supply the switches you need.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 AM
ellisj1@comcast.net
Intermediate

after searching for all the parts needed for the handle bar controlls, the cost was starting to run up pretty high. thought about looking at a swap meet for the switches and wiring harness. so i started thinking about this more. the stereo comes with a wireless IR remote. which is terrible in sunlight, has to have line of sight to the receiver and is not weatherproof. after a pot of coffee and a pack of smokes, i came up with a solution. i found and completely waterproof remote that is the size of a key fob and its RF. completely programable. comes with a small mount that the remote clips into. there are only 8 buttons. the range is about 100 feet. so i can take it off and still controll the radio. i thought that might be cool if you were parked somewhere and want to listen to the radio. it only cost 90.00

Old 03-07-2012, 11:45 AM
ellisj1@comcast.net
Intermediate

here is a pic of the remote

Attached Thumbnails reckless fairing-rue-m1rf.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 AM
amarini
Stage I

Have a Reckless fairing...wondering if anyone knows if i can use my HD windshield on a Reckless fairing or do I have to purchase additional fairings from Reckless????

Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

Pretty much all the aftermarket fairing companys use 1996 and later Harley Davidson 3 bolt pattern. The exception is some of the Chinese Fairings you see on E-bay that use a 5 bolt pattern.

So pretty much your unlimited to what windshield you use.

I do recommend the "Long Ride Shields" (LRS) Flip Up Shields as they seem to devert the air streem well over the top of your head or helmet. Also they are very well priced compaired to anything Harley sells.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 AM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Trumpking how's the fairing coming along? Any pics?