Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No BRAKE light!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 AM
dreamweaver
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No BRAKE light!!! help

I took the bike out for a spin the other day and noticed the brake light is not working. All running light, blinkers, etc are working just fine. I checked the bulb and all fuses but just cant seem to find what is causing this. Any suggestions?

Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the light not working with both front and rear brakes? The switches are separate, that's why I ask. Guessing you checked the bulb with an ohm meter or in another bike to see if the bulb is indeed good? I would start looking at connectors - mine did something similar in that the fender mounted brake light stopped working but the tour pack brake lights still worked - turned out to be corrosion on a connector under the seat.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

There is a recall on the rear brake switch on newer bikes, not sure how far back it goes.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

What bike do you have? Have you tried both the front and rear brakes

Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

the plug your bulb plugs into is removable and plugs in behind the assembly to another wire that small plug could be bad, and harley carries it. Seen it happen to a few bikes.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:43 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Taillight and no brake light....or just no brake light. The reason I ask is I swapped levers a while back and ended up braking off the little pin in the control housing. Here is how I think it works. When you pull the brake lever the pin extends and turns on the brake light When the lever is let go, it contacts the pin and pushes it in which turns off the brake light.
Luckiliy I had a set of LED taillights so it was easy to notice but I have a friend who did the same thing and thought his brake lights were not working becaus when he steped on his brake lever the light stayed the same, but it was actually the brake light we were seeing "on" rather than the tail light being on. We replaced the pin in the switch housing (what a biatch) and all was fine after.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:15 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Answer all of the above questions to be more specific. Newer bikes have recall on the rear brake light switch only, so your light would work using the front lever. I think it's '09 and newer.
Tell us the year of your bike.
Check to see if your front lever activates the light.
Do a thorough voltage check at the lamp fixture to isolate it to the bulb or elswhere.
Switch good bulbs for bad, etc.
There's a lot of simple logic to follow to narrow down the possibilities.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

According to the little tag below his screen name, he has a 2008 Road King Classic.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:23 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The recall is on 09's and newer The cat in the exhaust is close to the location of the rear brake switch and melts the switch. HD is simply swapping to a switch with a higher melting point ( still getting hot there) There is a good article in the Feb Thunder Press about it. I did however just had to change the switch on my 08 RKC. Switch went bad. Cruise would not disengage either when I tapped the rear brake. Simple job and 19.00

Old 02-07-2012, 03:24 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

This post made me go out into the garage & check both bikes.

Quick Reply: No BRAKE light!!! help