Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy top end on 2011 FLHR 103

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 AM
mac0478
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Noisy top end on 2011 FLHR 103

Hi guys.

I purchased a 2011 FLHR Roadking 103 on December 29, 2011 that had 100 kilometers on the clock. I commented to the salesman and the workshop bloke that was doing the handover that the top end seemed noisy compared to my old TC88 Deuce. They said that this is normal for the 103 engine.

I had it serviced as required at 1600k (three weeks ago) and nothing was said to be out of the ordinary. During the ride to work today (2400k on the odometer) I noticed that the noise from the top end seems to be getting louder with a ticking noise that seems to be comming from the gearbox ( or somewhere else from the similar location).

I have followed the advised run in procedure. Although I have not babied the bike, I have certainly not ridden it like I just stole it either.

Without trying to sound like a schmuck I have these questions for you all:
1. Could the noise be growing as the engine is loosening up?
2. Has anyone experienced this. If so, could you advise what this noise is?
3. Could it be normal and I am being overly sensitive?

I am going to take it to another dealership across town tomorrow to get their opinion. I do not trust the dealership I purchased my bike at as after the first service, my bike has small scratches on the tank ( which they are not being overly proactive in rectifying the issue although I have called them once a week since it happened and still can not get a tips factory response), it was covered in grease and crap when I collected it and just don't seem to give a damn about my bike nor me as their customer. For my dealership this is not unusual as they have a reputation for this but that is another story. I only bought the bike from these jokers as I picked it up at a very good price . I hope it's not comming back to bite me on the bumb!

Any thoughts you have regarding this issue would be appreciated.

Last edited by mac0478; 02-07-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Patriot60
Cruiser

I have a 2011 FLHX with the 103 and mine doesn't make or never has made any ticking noise. I've had mine in for both the 1000 & 5000 mile service with no issues. As far as the scratches and the crap on it, I personally wouldn't put up with it. You paid good money for your scoot and if they want your business, they will take care of you. We have a couple of dealers here, one is known for thier great sales department and not so good service dept. The other is known for a great service dept but thier sales dept isn't well liked because the price is the price.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 AM
donf610
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know my 103 is is very noisy at the 2800 rpm range. Its fine above and below that range. Its taken a while to get used to it.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:07 AM
weride7/7
Advanced

I have 2 103's. One is a little ticky (limited), one is not(SG).My mech says its normal.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:13 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

My RKC is a little "ticky" too (to borrow the word someone else used).

Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there is a range of tolerences that allows some to be noisier then others. I look at it like this...when I had my Deluxe, it seemed quiter, but there was also no a fairing and windshield for noise to reflect off of. My Acura is really quiet, until you open the hood. Its hundreds of moving parts in combo with explosions....its gonna make a little noise.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I mentioned that noise to my dealer on the 5000 and the 10,000 mile service and they checked it out and told me they couldn't find anything wrong. But after reading on this site for a while I found out that it's engine noise reflecting off the windshield making it sound louder than it actually is. So I took the windshield off and rode around for a few days without it and I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary anymore. The noise got me feeling paranoid that something was going to grenade! Lol! You may want to take it to that other dealer to have them check it out anyway just in case whoever owned it before you got it wasn't pissing around with stuff they had no business touching. But the windshield sound reflection thing was my problem.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Niblet
Banned

I am on my 3rd RKC,, 2'96's and my current is a 103,,,as a aircraft mechanic by trade the top end on these V-twins have always sounded like they have marbles in them if you ask me,,but they all run great so I guess its normal,,,have also been told that these engines dont even get broke in until 20K plus,,,so I just live with it!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

little ticky here also... but definitely not tacky,

if you didn't want the unique noise factor that comes with a harley you should of went with a goldwing or a bmw?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 AM
KWC6
Cruiser

My 2011 ultra limited, now with 9,000 miles has always had a ticking sound. No issues.

Quick Reply: Noisy top end on 2011 FLHR 103