Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D Security System Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:35 PM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default H-D Security System Question

I wanted to put an H-D security system on my 2000 Road King like what is on my 2007 Softail. After posting the question on this forum, I found out what I needed. Now, I bought the parts : 68200-00C security system and 68314-01 install wiring kit (both for the 2000 RKC) they are on their way to me via UPS after leaving my wallet MUCH lighter. Without the instructions in front of me, is this something that I can (or should) install myself, also can I program it myself?I do all of the work on my bikes but this system has me a little worried. How hard is it to do? Can someone chime in that has experience doing this type of install?

Thanks!
John

Old 02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
cubalz
Road Captain

I forgot to add that my bike is fuel injected.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:53 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 683 Posts

It replaces your turn signal module, basically just plug and play. You should be good.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:15 PM
cubalz
Road Captain

If it only replaces that, ho does it keep it from starting without the fob? Does that happen after hooking up the wire install kit?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:48 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

don't want to disappoint you, but you are aware that the security that you bought is not like what you had on your 07? you did not get the hands free setup, you will have to push a button to arm/disarm yours.

also, i looked at the install instructions, man, they sure did take the short cut way on this one:

INSTALLATION
1. Remove the original equipment (OE) turn signal module (TSM) following the TURN SIGNAL/ SECURITY MODULE, REMOVAL instructions in the Service Manual.

2. Install the new turn signal/ security module (TSSM) from this kit, following the instructions in the Service Manual.

3. Perform the tests described under TSM/ TSSM VEHICLE DELIVERY in the Electrical Diagnostic Manual.
so basically, these instructions were totally worthless. you've got to have both manuals (though i suspect that the service manual is gonna say, unplug old, plug in new....)

good luck, if you can find the manuals, you should be good to go

Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
rattlebones
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am fairly sure Skratch is right. I wanted the security system that arms itself like the newer bikes do for my 2001 Road King. I was told by the Harley dealership that you cannot get those for these bikes. You can only get the system that you have to push the button on the fob to arm it. But yes the new module just plugs in and replaces the turn signal module. Then you have the audible alarm that plugs into that.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
jrat69
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you install the alarm on new bikews 2010 up is is just plug & play or do you have to get the dealer to program it?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by jrat69
If you install the alarm on new bikews 2010 up is is just plug & play or do you have to get the dealer to program it?

I don't think so - I think it includes 2 remotes already programmed. All the ECU knows is if it can start or not. The key words here being "I THINK"

Old 02-09-2012, 03:49 PM
trip59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it's like the TSSM I just installed on my 98RK the 'install kit' comes with a new harness to add in. You unplug the turn signal module in the nacelle, plug that into the harness end. The other end runs under the tank to the battery compartment and the TSSM mounts in where the fuel pump/ECM relay were using a bracket. It MUST be installed just how described, as it takes over the turn signal functionality. It connects in at a few points to the main harness/fuse block, etc.

Probably a couple hour job, I had mine apart already to do a MM EFI to carb swap.

The instructions that come with it are way more detailed than what was posted, 6-7 pages, and outline each step clearly.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:55 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I did a TSSM installation on an 04 bagger. It sounds a little different than what you'll need to do (no wiring kit required for mine; the wiring must already be integrated into the bike on the 04's).

As for the "TSM/ TSSM VEHICLE DELIVERY in the Electrical Diagnostic Manual", if you search on that phrase (or some part thereof) on the Internet, you'll find the instructions, which you can download.

I got by with the instructions that came with the security system, the Service Manual, and the download I referenced. Since you've got to do the wiring-kit installation, your mileage may vary. Maybe trip59 can give an insight into how critical having the Service Manual, and the full Elec Diag Manual are...? It sounds like his installation is more similar to your own, than mine.

Alan

Quick Reply: H-D Security System Question