Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about roller cams ans synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Facts about synthetic oil. Hehehe. Alright. First off most synthetics have very high detergent levels,which is why on some older vehicles a leak may develop with synthetic oil use. The molecules are also more uniform and may slip by a worn gasket.
Next. Synthetic oil is not more slippery than conventional oil. Now friction modifiers are added to some automotive oils such as pennzoil,mobil 1,amsoil,royal purple,most every oil stamped resource conserving or energy conserving. This friction modifier is called molybdenum disulfide.
Now oils with moly are more slippery by design,which is why those oils are not good for wet clutches. Thicker oils tend to be moly free however instead of moly the use what's called anti-wear agents. This is usually boron,zinc and phosphorus. Titanium is also proving to be a good anti-wear agent as well.
Now if there are flat spots on a roller assembly that would be a manufacturing defect and in no way caused by oil.
Oil is oil whether synthetic or conventional. Synthetic is typically more pure,no impurities which is why it costs more. That level of refinement is costly. Conventionals tend to be less pure. The impurities are what tend to cause engine sludge.
This whole idea of bearing skate is rediculous. Just about every European automaker and even domestic vehicles use synthetic as a factory fill. Now if this issue was real don't you think with as much testing as they do to engines the problem would have presented itself.
It has to be a manufacturing or engineering defect. Oil is oil man.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Who built the motor?
I would think that this indy didnt because he would have said not to run syn,right?

So has the guy that did build it have a chance to say what happened regarding the leak and flat spots?
the indy who built it is the one making the statements. He is the guy I was talking to you about the other day at your house

Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TUCCI
That Indy sounds like he was abducted by aliens in the 80s and just got back. Havent heard anyone say that nonsense about synthetic oil in like 15 yrs?
+1 on this one. If the oil is too slippery to roll, it's too slippery to scuff. Those in the know understand this. I'm a master automotive mechanic and that old wives tail died out with new Coke.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:32 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by CHILLLS
the synthetic is too slick for the roller bearings, ball bearings are fine but not roller. i even had the dealer tell me that same thing & one of the salesman showed me the crank out of the road glide he had just replaced due to running synthetic. they explained its not good for the touring bike due to the amount of miles we put on them. i know it doesnt make sense but if you know how the different bearings work & could see for your self the effects on the bearings.

just my
You are right, it doesn't make sense, because it isn't true. The right synthetic oil provides better lubrication than any "dino" oil. I've worked with everything from lawnmower motors to military jet engines to 75,000 horsepower steam turbines, and synthetic oil can, and is, tailor made to withstand the unique operating stresses each type of bearing, or combination of bearing types in a machine. "Dyno" oil is not nearly as flexible.

I've got 131,000 miles on my '00 RoadGlide, synthetic oil from the factory and every oil change since. Motor's never been apart, never leaked, never left me stranded. Still running strong.

Anybody that tells you synthetic oil will cause damage to roller bearings either doesn't know what they are talking about, or they are trying to blame the oil for their screw-up.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread is amusing, the thought of oil being too slippery is hilarious.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:52 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I was laughing at some of the responses. Some funny **** right here.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I can see how one would find this funny
but I think it no longer becomes funny when the mechanic that built your bike, whom you believed to be a competent mechanic and builder of the motor tells you synthetic oil cause these problems. Then at that point you start to scratch your bike and wounder, is he right? Did I pull a boner mover and have the wrong guy work on the bike? Cause once these th happen you will have to have the motor repaired. I will be choosing another mechanic. Thanks for all the reaponses.

Last edited by hog95023; 02-07-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

Scratch your head not the bike! Dang cell phones

Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 AM
petewerner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am training people in various parts of industrial mechanics. Lube-Tech is one of my classes. Certified as Electrian/millwright by the State of Oregon in the '80s. I went on to get degrees in these fields, learning alot about what is fact and what is fiction. Synthetic oil is too slippery for bearings is fiction, except where there is some form of clutch that needs friction to operate...
I would bet that there are engineers here that are or have been in the business of designing lube products that would tell u the truth about oils and their function/design limitations. Or bearing engineer/designer would tell u that their bearings LIKE synthetic oils!!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

The mechanic basically said what chillls has posted. I will be going to a different shop for repairs

Quick Reply: ? about roller cams ans synthetic oil