Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting/wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:10 AM
NycNick98
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting/wiring question.

My pops has a 99 electra glide classic and several years back my pops went down on it. We slowly have gotten it back together and did what we needed to fix up all of the problems that his going down did.

The Bike now has power but it wont always start...lack of power to the start on the handle bars. I have moved wires around and it has promoted it to gain power and start but then it would go back out. We also cannot isolate the wire itself. My main questions however is, the power to the radio as well as the horn are also being affected. Does anyone know possibly what harness would be connected to both the radio, horn and also the starter? All other functions work such as lights. Just trying to help trouble shoot what wire harness it may be.

Thank you for your time, not sure if i was really clear, but I figured this would be my last option before taking it to a shop...just trying to do it our selves before dropping bigger money.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

a quick easy work around to the starter is to use a replacment solenoid end cover with a push botton built into it.

It bypasses the start button and relay.

about $30.

-- but in the long term you have to sort this out.

look at the ignition switch- the contacts can burn out esp. if high watt head/spotlight bulbs are swapped in.--- try wiggling the switch when everything is on- see if it goes off

those bikes also had a tip over switch mounted on a bracket that can snap ( it was recalled)- that will shut the bike down.

going through the wiring harness checking it- pull each connector apart and clean the pins and sockets ( some contact cleaner sprays eat plastic- read the label--- apply die electric grease.

I don't have '99 wiring diagram- I'd start at the ign. switch and if everything stayed on while the switch was being wiggled, I'd get out a test light or meter and just start checking

mike

Old 02-06-2012, 02:43 PM
NycNick98
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for the Input. Ill have to look into that bypass to at least get her running. I really just need to sit down and take my time one wire/connector at a time.