Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street/Electra glide fairing on road king?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:58 PM
MegaFauna
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street/Electra glide fairing on road king?

OK, so maybe this has been discussed and I missed it in my search, and maybe not. BUT, has anyone ever put a Street/Electra glide factory batwing fairing on a RK? like, inner, outer, stereo, gauges e.t.c.. Looked at aftermarket options i.e. dead center cycles, hoppe, dragonfly etc, and there are some good options, but would rather not put a non HD fairing on if possible.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

there are more than a couple of threads where someone has converted a road king to a street glide/electra glide. the touring bikes share the same frames, so it's just a question of changing the cosmetics of it. granted, there is a bit of work to do with wiring, and gauges, etc. but it can (and has been) done.

there's also some threads where a batwing has been converted to a sharknose, and vice versa as well.....

Old 02-05-2012, 10:08 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Not that it can't be done, but you will probably have to change the entire wiring harness to accomodate the guages/radio in a factory fairing, you'll need the guages and a radio(you could go aftermarket with those), plus you will have to change the tank console. I'm guessing that this conversion wouldn't be a cheap one to do. All depends on if that's what you want, but I would research this project really well before pulling the trigger to do it.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:10 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it but unless you really love that bike id just trade it

Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 PM
MegaFauna
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wiring and everything is no problem, just curious about what parts I need to bolt the fairing on. Is it just the inner and outer fairing I need? I'm debating which way to go for audio. I might just put some lower fairings on and hide an amp in one of the bags. It's all up in the air at the moment.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

if you go here:

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...idsonparts.htm

you can look at parts diagrams and figure out what you need.

it's all there, wiring, hard parts, instruments.

more work that I'd bother with when you can get a memphis shades ( or whatever) for under $400

mike

Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My budddy just did the exact same thing.........loads of exceddrin migrane needed.....tons of time and more money than its worth......seriously do yourself a favor n sell or trade your rk for the model with the look you want. Its just not worth it.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:49 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gauges, gas tank, two separate wiring harnesses, fairing, inner outer, gauges, radio, speakers,ingition, caps, switches, then comes the hard stuff, you have to totally re-wire your handlebars, again more work.
A Ultra Classic main wiring harness, $800.00
an aftermarket fairing with radio and speakers is around $1,800 after painting, go that route! whole lot cheaper, believe me I know

Old 02-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Blueneck
Intermediate
Location: at the bottom of the world, just a rocks though from the ice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it can be done

if u only want the fairing and dont require the gauges, just use an old harley street glide one some Memphis shade mounting brackets and do some minor plastic welding, hi presto bobs, yer unkle, instant detachable fairing, i have one on my 010 FLHR it rocks

Old 02-06-2012, 03:08 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by MegaFauna
OK, so maybe this has been discussed and I missed it in my search, and maybe not. BUT, has anyone ever put a Street/Electra glide factory batwing fairing on a RK? like, inner, outer, stereo, gauges e.t.c.. Looked at aftermarket options i.e. dead center cycles, hoppe, dragonfly etc, and there are some good options, but would rather not put a non HD fairing on if possible.
You should have bought the FLHTP instead.

Quick Reply: Street/Electra glide fairing on road king?