Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking I need a trailer, Do I?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:57 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shortly after I bought my first touring bike I bought a Wells Cargo 6x10 enclosed trailer to haul it in. My thought process was the same as yours at the time, that I would like it to tow the bike to far-away events, etc. It was a great trailer and had plenty of room for one bagger and all my gear, but what I ended up finding is that I rode the bike to a lot more events than I originally thought I would, and found that having a $3,000 + trailer sitting in the driveway wasn't worth it for the 1 or 2 times a year I would use it. I sold the trailer, fortunately got all but $500 back of what I paid for it, and rented a U-Haul utility trailer with a ramp and wheel chock for the one time I have needed to tow the bike since then.

My point is that if you haven't already, you may want to consider renting at first and see how many times you actually use the trailer before you invest in your own. Its easier not to buy one than to have to sell one

Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Two dirt bikes, two baggers, something in between? Do you mind washing the bikes at your destination, or are they show quality bikes that need to be protected?

Two large bikes will require a 7' wide trailer if you want to haul 'em side by side, or a longer, narrower (6') trailer if you want to haul 'em staggered. Any trailer is going to be easier to load/unload if it has a ramp tailgate. A simple lawn/utility trailer with a drop tailgate & open sides will run you $700 to $1000 new. Less used. A fully enclosed trailer can run several thousand depending on size & accessories.

The enclosed trailers are nice for keeping the bikes clean & can be converted to campers at the events, but they require big vehicles to tow 'em & eat a lot of gas. Even open trailers with fixed tail gates hurt your gas mileage.

Storage is your next issue. Do you have a large place to store a trailer, or do you need a folding unit that you can store in a garage? Answer a few of these questions, & we can help.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
bill1nat
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
How many times a year you going to use it?
At least 4 to 5

Old 02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
bill1nat
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reh13
I've got a Wells Cargo 7 x 12 Cycle Wagon 2 bike trailer for sale on the forum.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gear-...cle-wagon.html
Just curious , why are you selling?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,552 Likes on 2,500 Posts

I have a Continental, but looking around for a 2 bike trailer since I have 2 bikes. Good for breakdowns, and when you live in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico, it's a good idea to have a trailer in the event of a hurricane & you gotta evacuate.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking I need a trailer, Do I?-dsci0885.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Good Advice!

+1 -

I second these wise words.

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Shortly after I bought my first touring bike I bought a Wells Cargo 6x10 enclosed trailer to haul it in. My thought process was the same as yours at the time, that I would like it to tow the bike to far-away events, etc. It was a great trailer and had plenty of room for one bagger and all my gear, but what I ended up finding is that I rode the bike to a lot more events than I originally thought I would, and found that having a $3,000 + trailer sitting in the driveway wasn't worth it for the 1 or 2 times a year I would use it. I sold the trailer, fortunately got all but $500 back of what I paid for it, and rented a U-Haul utility trailer with a ramp and wheel chock for the one time I have needed to tow the bike since then.

My point is that if you haven't already, you may want to consider renting at first and see how many times you actually use the trailer before you invest in your own. Its easier not to buy one than to have to sell one

Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

When I did my initial research when I thought I wanted a trailer - I know that the final decision to buy was going to be a 7x10 or 7x12 in size, enclosed, double axle, Independent torsion suspension axles, V nose. Also make sure it has elec brakes too. This is best for when you plan on pulling two bikes most of the time.

You can expect to pay anywhere between $3,500-$5,000 depending on brand, age, construction type.

If you live in an area like I do, where winter can be pretty bad - the enclosed trailer is good for storage of the bikes also. Also if and when you do use it, it is nice to have an enclosed trailer to keep the bikes clean, tidy, and purdy for when you reach your final destination. And some people set them up as campers - so you can get double usage of the enclosed wheeled boxes. ;-)

HTH

Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 AM
madjimmax
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in MD and go visit my mom in Palm Coast Fl a lot. And all I use is a 6' x 10' landscaping trailer with a laydown gate in the back and it works great and will haul 2 baggers, plus I can use it for many other things around the house. One year I borrowed a buddies 6x10 enclosed trailer to go to Daytona and the fuel cost of pulling it down there was almost double what it usually costs me to pull my landscaping trailer. The only real down fall to a open trailer is that if you hit rain on your way to your destination you'll be detailing once you get there. The one good thing with an enclosed trailer is that you have a mobile garage, but then again a lot of hotels make you park trailers pretty far away which can be a pain getting to your bike. Also with the landscaping trailer if I need to move it around the yard or driveway I can just pick the front up by hand and push it wherever I need it to go.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:20 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

now that is depressing, never thought about a trailer for that reason(evacuation)

Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bill1nat
Hi Everyone, I am thinking of buying a trailer. I started looking online and there are so many choices I dont know where to start. What size and model do you have? Thanks in advance for your time.
The only one who can determine if you need a trailer or not is you!!! I wouldn't expect anyone to tell me if I NEEDED a trailer or not. As far as size, if I were to buy one, it would once again depend on MY needs not someone who neither knows me or my reasons for a trailer. My wife rides a Spyder, I ride a full dresser, I'd probably go for a 8x14 with cabinets, interior lighting, venting and finished interior walls. LED exterior lighting, two axles and electric brakes would also be on the order.

Quick Reply: Thinking I need a trailer, Do I?