Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outer cam bearing thrust washer O ring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Outer cam bearing thrust washer O ring?

Getting ready to do the hydraulic tensioner upgrade and new cams in my 04 Road King. Instructions for the kit say to install the o ring, thrust washer, and bearing inner race onto rear cam. From what I can see this was already done by the cam manufacturer, as this is how it came out of the box. I guess I'm a little confused because the way the instructions are written, it seems like there is an o ring inside the thrust washer, which I obviously can't see. There is also an extra washer in the package with the rest of the roller bearing. I will post pics to try to explain what I'm talking about. I assume everything here is normal, just someone please give me an idea of what it is exactly that I'm looking at here. These are Head Quarters cams by the way.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

HQ's installs the thrust washer/race on the cam for you. You just have to press the bearings into the plate.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So can I assume that the o ring in question is inside the washer behind the race? Any idea if the extra washer is supposed to be used for something?

Old 02-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

I'm working off memory but I believe the o ring is right in the pic, and that is just an extra thrust washer.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:43 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you changing the cam plate to the 07 and up with the newer style tensioners?

The reason I ask is those cams look like they are for your bike with the original tensioner set up not the upgraded set up you stated you are using.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:31 AM
carltex
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Tinman, those look like the old style chain drive cams not the hydraulic cams. You mentioned you were switching over to the hydraulic tensioner setup which would mean a new style cam plate and those cams don't work with it. The chain sprocket on the hydraulic setup is not as wide as the old style. Here is an example from Andrews website. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_f...onCams-pg5.pdf
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_f...ams99-pg11.pdf

Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by carltex
I'm with Tinman, those look like the old style chain drive cams not the hydraulic cams. You mentioned you were switching over to the hydraulic tensioner setup which would mean a new style cam plate and those cams don't work with it. The chain sprocket on the hydraulic setup is not as wide as the old style. Here is an example from Andrews website. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_f...onCams-pg5.pdf
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_f...ams99-pg11.pdf
He'll be fine with those cams if he's using the correct upgrade kit which I assume he is. This kit is intended for the earlier bikes.

Rick

Old 02-05-2012, 08:23 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

My bad, I've got an 06 88" and guess the conversion package is different for our bikes. Nice to learn something every once in a while. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by carltex
My bad, I've got an 06 88" and guess the conversion package is different for our bikes. Nice to learn something every once in a while. Thanks.

If you just want to get rid of the spring loaded tensioners and get the higher volume oil pump this is a good way to go. The other option is to replace everything with the 07 up parts but then you need the "N" version cams as you had mentioned.

Rick

Old 02-05-2012, 09:12 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Egldr05
If you just want to get rid of the spring loaded tensioners and get the higher volume oil pump this is a good way to go. The other option is to replace everything with the 07 up parts but then you need the "N" version cams as you had mentioned.

Rick
I've checked into doing the conversion, cause i just don't want to buy a new bike to get it, and know about the N cams but right now isn't a good time to make plans money wise, fixin to get divorced, if you know what I mean.

Quick Reply: Outer cam bearing thrust washer O ring?