Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGS True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014 | 10:44 AM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

Originally Posted by Dew Me
I bought my PC-V from FM.
As near as I can tell you are telling me what your bike can do and mine should do too, but you've had cam work and I have not. So it is not an apples to apples example.

Interesting about the double gasket. I do not have an exhaust leak but I wish the left header tucked in closer to the bike and a second gasket would help with that. I went though every damn gasket at an auto parts store recently trying to find a thicker gasket that would work. I did find one but haven't installed it yet.
I've tried aftermarket gaskets such as the ones drag specialties sell, but they are made with materials that don't double stack well...they spread out. The OEM SE gaskets work best. A little more pricey but not a big deal.

You know, cams are a bigger deal than most people want to accept. For some reason everyone gets the stage one concept about improved air flow, heat etc...but that's only part of the problem which stems from EPA compliant modifications the moco has been forced to make to meet emissions standards. Stock cams are designed for more efficient combustion. There is little to no overlap and the exhaust valve stays closed "longer" (for lack of a better word and to try and keep this short) to burn more fuel and produce fewer emissions. The problem is increased heat and reduced airflow which sacrifices horsepower. If I'm going to put air breather, pipes and tuner on someone's bike I'm not stopping there. Cams are just as important IMO.

Old 08-06-2014 | 12:00 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

No argument that cams are important. It actually furthers my point that you can't compare your bike to mine. It makes big difference. Yes, I will be doing them as soon as I can.

I'm not talking drag specialties gaskets and I wasn't talking about staking aftermarket gaskets. I was talking about one giant gasket make for a car or truck. I think the one I bought was for an early 80's Chevy S-10. It seems perfect but I won't know till I try it.

Old 08-06-2014 | 03:21 PM
stic2it
Road Captain

Drive2live,

Are you stacking the exhaust gasket? I have problems with a leak on the right side and need a little something extra. My tranny bracket keeps breaking and that's when I get the leak. Mgs sent me a slipon bracket and hope it holds better. I feel the torque when the clamp is on and intact. I ride once, it pops and back to leaking again. When I get back from the beach I'm trying the double exhaust gasket

Old 08-06-2014 | 04:56 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

Originally Posted by stic2it
Drive2live,

Are you stacking the exhaust gasket? I have problems with a leak on the right side and need a little something extra. My tranny bracket keeps breaking and that's when I get the leak. Mgs sent me a slipon bracket and hope it holds better. I feel the torque when the clamp is on and intact. I ride once, it pops and back to leaking again. When I get back from the beach I'm trying the double exhaust gasket
Yeah, double stack em. What I did to resolve the clamp breaking at the tyranny bracket(front header correct?)
is to file or grind the sharp edges of the bracket where the clamp makes contact with the bracket. Really bevel that edge good so the bracket won't score the clamp. I've put 12k mikes on since doing that and no more probs...

Old 08-07-2014 | 01:55 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Well...I love the way the MGS look and I love the way they sound. I'm even happy with the take off and around town. I'm pissed off abot highway though. I used to have no problem getting to 100mph and now I struggle getting to 90mph. Slight hills at full throttle I'm often stuck around 80mph. Worse with a passenger. (Please spare me the comments about me riding too fast)
I too had a problem getting past 90mph with mgs true duals. I liked how they seemed to mellow out in sound on the highway but after comparing them to my 2-1-2's Ill never go back. I think they are onto a great product but there are flaws in the R & D.
1 - the rear pipe 02 sensor being farther back.
2 - the flimsy tranny brkt.
3 - the left side passenger peg needing spacing out
4 - Not being able to use other mufflers with head pipes or vice versa.

In my experience Mike was great to deal with. I enjoyed the true duals for a season but man am I ever glad I got a 2-1-2 system thats tuned and running like a beast. I can easily hit 110mph now and the bike just pulls strong through the whole rpm range. No flat spots at all.

Old 08-07-2014 | 04:17 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

I think TD are what they are are, I have MGS TD.

Hind sight.... Yeah the RD on these needs some fixing as Anthony FLHX mentioned.

I will just run mine until they fall off the bike, Rush TD may be better? 2-1-2 systems
like the power duals I had sort of blubber at times in their sound.

Old 08-14-2014 | 09:41 PM
stic2it
Road Captain

Yeah I saw that corner, I was planning to round it off. I have no issues with getting up to 80 or 90, I live there practically and I have a pretty noticeable leak. Stage 1 now but going to a 107 w/ ported heads kit in a week. I grabbed the se exhaust gaskets and will double stack them next time. That left passenger peg needs to be pushed out slightly more, it is always down and I bump it every day

Old 09-22-2014 | 07:54 PM
MmonizZ
6th Gear
Default Mgs header pipes or full system?

Trying to decide on getting MGS's Pipes alone, so I can use any muffler I fancy, OR buy the whole system, which means I won't be able to use any other slip-ons but theirs. Also, MSG says that if I go with whole system, the performance gains are pretty high, (compared to other setups) but if I go with pipes only, and my choice of slip-ons, I'll only gain half the power that they talk about...

Decisions decisions.....

Also, budget constraints play a role in this decision, so, anyone run the full system? Anyone run just the pipes and what slip ons do you use?

What's your performance, if any have you noticed?

Side note, I've also been looking at V & H's setup too, price is pretty good it seems, but I really like what I've read about MGS, and, they're different, I like to be different, or.......is it special?

Old 09-22-2014 | 07:57 PM
lowlifefalcon
Cruiser

i am running the full true duals system. love it! power gain over stock and over the screamin eagle slip ons that i replaced. order the full system and dont look back. i get people asking me about them all the time. nice mellow tone when cruising and the really bark when you jump on them. best sounding i have ever heard.

Originally Posted by MmonizZ
Trying to decide on getting MGS's Pipes alone, so I can use any muffler I fancy, OR buy the whole system, which means I won't be able to use any other slip-ons but theirs. Also, MSG says that if I go with whole system, the performance gains are pretty high, (compared to other setups) but if I go with pipes only, and my choice of slip-ons, I'll only gain half the power that they talk about...

Decisions decisions.....

Also, budget constraints play a role in this decision, so, anyone run the full system? Anyone run just the pipes and what slip ons do you use?

Side note, I've also been looking at V & H's setup too, price is pretty good it seems, but I really like what I've read about MGS, and, they're different, I like to be different, or.......is it special?

Old 09-23-2014 | 08:37 AM
twhayes99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MmonizZ
Trying to decide on getting MGS's Pipes alone, so I can use any muffler I fancy, OR buy the whole system, which means I won't be able to use any other slip-ons but theirs.

<Snip>

Decisions decisions.....

I'm running the full system on my '12 Limited with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker and TTS tuner, recently dyno'd at 81hp and 101 ft/lbs... Love the pipes, the sound is great like others have mentioned and the performance gains aren't to shabby for the money.

Quick Reply: MGS True Duals