Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGS True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014 | 11:00 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by MGS Custom Bikes
Great questions guys. Here is an explanation of how we make our system:
Our True Dual system is a stepped header with increasing ratios as a result of extensive research and development with countless dyno runs. That coupled with our unique muffler and baffle design is a big part of how we have managed to achieve our industry leading power gains. Our system has been designed on a dyno with power in mind. We do offer a slip-on as well with the standard 1 and 7/8" diameter, but they are not interchangeable with the True Dual system. We see no reason why anyone wouldn't be satisfied with the muffler that comes with the system, as the sound and performance of the MGS True Dual system is usually why people like them in the first place.

2. Our pipes are not ceramic coated on the inside as we approached the heat problem a different way. What we do is take it a step further than anyone else. We actually polish the whole system like its going to be chromed, then we put a ceramic primer first that is baked to 700 degrees. Then the black ceramic coating is put on top of the primer and baked again to 700 degrees. What this does is two-fold, it greatly reduces the heat and also greatly reduces the probability of scratches, which keeps the pipes looking newer longer. What else we'd like to point out is the fact that not only do we ceramic coat the heat shields (like everyone else does) but we also ceramic coat the head pipe, which in our opinion is the whole purpose of a ceramic coated exhaust. Our mufflers are designed in such a way that where the muffler meets the pipe they are heat treated and protect against heat-transfer and discoloration. While I'm on the discoloration subject, most people have experienced this undesirable effect in one way or another. We designed every step of our exhaust systems to be protected from this. For example, most other systems make their tips anodized, which is code-word for 'purple'. Our exhaust tips our teflon coated and will not discolor. It's a more expensive process, but something we feel is important as we will only offer quality products. Our whole system costs substantially more to produce than most of the competition, but again we feel it will pay off in the long run when the riders who install them are 100% satisfied with every facet of our products.
For those 2 reasons I won't use them.

A. I want the option of which mufflers to use.
B. I like the PIPES to be ceramic coated inside and out. I really don't care about the heat shields. If the pipes transmit less heat, the heatshield doesn't have to work as hard.

I do like the look of these... too bad.

I am looking for new head pipes, but love the mufflers I currently have. The search continues.

Old 07-18-2014 | 03:58 PM
desertwolf
Road Master

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
I have a used set of mgs pipes for sale here if anyone is interested.
Looks like you had MGS and now have Fullsac 2-1-2. How would you compare the two? A 2-1-2 headpipe should out perform a dual by a large margin.

Old 07-18-2014 | 04:01 PM
desertwolf
Road Master

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
For those 2 reasons I won't use them.

A. I want the option of which mufflers to use.
B. I like the PIPES to be ceramic coated inside and out. I really don't care about the heat shields. If the pipes transmit less heat, the heatshield doesn't have to work as hard.

I do like the look of these... too bad.

I am looking for new head pipes, but love the mufflers I currently have. The search continues.
Are you moving away from RUSH?

Old 07-19-2014 | 06:39 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Is this a new mgs system? Was anything done about moving the rear pipes 02 sensor closer to the same distance the stock sensor would be? On my old system it was nearly a foot farther back on pipe and wreaked havoc with my tune.
Many tuners have stated the 02 sensors need to be the same distance from exhaust port as the stock pipe sensors are for accurate and optimal tuning.
Unless you're running a piggy back tuner that stays on the bike like a PCV.
I prefer flash tun ers like power vision or tts mastertune personally.

Old 07-20-2014 | 07:32 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by desertwolf
Looks like you had MGS and now have Fullsac 2-1-2. How would you compare the two? A 2-1-2 headpipe should out perform a dual by a large margin.
Love the Fullsac 2-1-2. Just out performs the true duals and is much better to tune. The rear pipe on mgs 02 sensors position just wreaked havoc with my tune. Decel pop drove me nuts. I think the pipe is better suited for pcv than a flash tune.
Most knowledgeable tuners will tell you that the 02 sensors need to be sane placement or distance from exhaust port as the stock pipes.
Mgs are almost a foot further back on rear pipe.
They look and sound great but just couldn't get them tuned right and I have one of the best tuners in the country an hour ride from me.

Old 07-21-2014 | 10:45 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

I've gotta say I'm not as happy with my MGS TD's as I'd like to be. I generally understand 2-1-2's to give you more torque and TD's to give you more HP? Which should equate to 2-1-2's giving you more seat of your pants acceleration and maybe better throttle response around town? While TD's should give you better top end? Higher MPH? I also understood that compared to my stock '09 non-cat 2-1-2's that the TD's would out perform them just b/c the stock pipes are not really meant to be a performance pipe?

Well...I love the way the MGS look and I love the way they sound. I'm even happy with the take off and around town. I'm pissed off abot highway though. I used to have no problem getting to 100mph and now I struggle getting to 90mph. Slight hills at full throttle I'm often stuck around 80mph. Worse with a passenger. (Please spare me the comments about me riding too fast)

Also, I'm less than happy that I went to the expense to mail MGS back all the hardware I didn't use with a note requesting an additional rear peg spacer and I never got one.

Using PC-V so no O2's.

Old 08-06-2014 | 07:32 AM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

I guess we just all have radically different experiences with the same product. I originally used a PCV to tune with my MGS pipes and results were great. Then I installed cams and switched to power vision flash tuner and the results were even better. To the guy who can't get past 90 mph...trust me, the issue is not your headers! And hard to tune? Fuel Moto has supported my PCV and PV. They had to tweak my map ONCE on the PV to get rid of a minor decel pop. Other than that the bike has run like a raped ape. 100 mph is a breeze. I run cross country two up and loaded down...even pull an nline trailer. I've been 155 lbs over the GVWR and never been starved for power. I can outrun stock 103's all day long (wich isn't saying much) and pull hills like crazy. My old Buddy Billy D. had cams and head work done locally at the big shop on his road king. They tuned it and he had same pipes I did. We got out on the interstate and from a rolling start I ran off and left him. The head work he had done should have given him a huge advantage because I'm running stock heads. He was pissed. We ran again and I could hear him hitting his rev limiter every gear. I could also see him in my mirrors! He was convinced. He had me call fuel moto. No more SERT for him. After a FM tune it was like he was on a different bike. The head work he had done has really paid off with a proper tune from Fuel Moto. I can't stay with him now. The point is that the tune is everything. To anyone who has had probs tuning with MGS pipes I say from experience...switch to Fuel Moto cuz your current tuner ain't cuttin' the mustard man. BTW I'm running 96" with FM stage 1, MGS TD's, SE 255 cams and FM power vision. I'll run with ANYBODY who has a 96"er. FM has sold a dozen tuners or so to guys I have run off and left. Guys who thought their bikes ran good. I spent one winter a couple years ago installing pipes and tuners for the guys at work on the weekends. Had 9 bikes in the garage at one point. That happened for one reason only...my bike out ran all of them. So when I hear this and that about a bike not running strong with aftermarket pipes...
1. Check for exhaust leaks. Here's a tip: Double stack SE exhaust gaskets. Why? Because stock headers have tapered ends and use tapered gaskets. Most aftermarket headers do not have tapered ends and need a flat SE style gasket. But they are thin and hard to get a seal. So use two. Easy as pie.
2. Not all tuners are created equal. It's not so much about the device your tuning with as it is about the PERSON who is supporting that device.

Nothing in the world wrong with MGS pipes particularly from a performance standpoint. In fact, quite the opposite is true. They are the top performing duals on the market IMO. Rineharts use a stepped TD header also that performs well, but I personally don't like the sound and from an installers point of view don't like the fit or quality. By quality I dont mean how shiny the cans are! I've run VH dresser duals, Samson duals, two different bassani duals, 2 two diff rinehart duals, kuryakyn duals (V&H lol) and nothing I have tried compared to the fit and performance of the MGS. That's why they are on my bike and all the others gone or piled up in the attic. I'm not a business, not part of MGS or Fuel Moto. Just a very happy customer who has been treated very well by both of these companies and been made a believer through trail and error. Peace.

Last edited by drive2live2ride; 08-06-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: added brand I forgot
Old 08-06-2014 | 08:41 AM
WILDWOOD_1124
Outstanding HDF Member

WOW! Wish I could get my 96" to run like yours does! Stock de-catted headpipe and stock cams must be holding it back. I got a PCV from FM

Old 08-06-2014 | 09:01 AM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

Originally Posted by WILDWOOD_1124
WOW! Wish I could get my 96" to run like yours does! Stock de-catted headpipe and stock cams must be holding it back. I got a PCV from FM
Cam upgrade makes as much diff over stock cams as a stage one upgrade makes over stock breather and stock exhaust. Huge performance gains. All about getting around EPA emissions requirements imposed on moco. Very basic...

Old 08-06-2014 | 10:24 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

I bought my PC-V from FM.
As near as I can tell you are telling me what your bike can do and mine should do too, but you've had cam work and I have not. So it is not an apples to apples example.

Interesting about the double gasket. I do not have an exhaust leak but I wish the left header tucked in closer to the bike and a second gasket would help with that. I went though every damn gasket at an auto parts store recently trying to find a thicker gasket that would work. I did find one but haven't installed it yet.

Quick Reply: MGS True Duals