Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGS True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013 | 07:49 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MGS Custom Bikes
Here is a dyno sheet of a comparison we did. Customer came into the shop with Vance & Hines Power Duals with Rinehart Slip-on mufflers on his 2009 Street Glide. We knew our system would improve his performance, but we never would have guessed the improvement would be OVER 20 FT LBS OF TORQUE! Here is the dyno sheet.

Video coming soon complete with audio clips for those of you asking for it.
Originally Posted by MGS Custom Bikes
You can expect very significant gains if changing from the V&H Power Duals to our system.
Jaime is one of the innovators when it comes to the Power Vision as he worked hand in hand with Dynojet to develop it. I don't have nearly as much experience with the Power Vision (although I am working with Dynojet to remedy that!) but can offer you some suggestions. Dynojet should have some MAP downloads for our system very soon as we will be shipping them our exhaust to test and make MAPS. Until then, you can use your current MAP or go to flashyourharley.com and download the Rinehart MAP. It will run lean, but will be a decent start for you to begin your autotune process. Call me at the shop and I can explain further.
Thanks.
I can clearly see the difference in power, but what the heck kind of tune was he running prior to your dyno session? The blue AFR line is off the chart. (Or it isn't posted there at all.) Any bike running that lean is going to make crap for power, no matter what the exhaust. It appears the line comes back down to a more normal range in the last 500 rpm.

A true comparison would have both sets of exhausts with quality tunes on each, plus AFR graphs for both including correction factors and ambient conditions posted. Go look at HTT in the dyno section and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying these pipes aren't good, I just don't think the dyno comparisons on their website/youtube are apples to apples. I would like to see some independently verified testing, or a complete posting from MGS with nothing edited out.

I'm not saying that these pipes don't perform. Or that they aren't nice. Or they don't sound good. Just that their data is incomplete to verify their claims. I'm betting the owner of the bike threw on a Stage 1 without a tune, wasn't happy with the performance then went to MGS to get some new pipes and a dyno tune. Here's what my bike looked like with a Stage 1 tune running Woods TW6-6 cams before and after a tune:

The red line shows the baseline run with a stock HD stage 1. Clearly not enough fuel for the air coming in. Cams were installed at the shop. I didn't ride the bike like that.

Last edited by JCleary; 05-24-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2013 | 08:16 AM
MGS Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rpking
I have a 2013 Street Glide
If I bought just the slip on mufflers now and wanted to buy the true dual headers at a later date, would the slip on mufflers fit? Or are they a different size for the stock head pipes VS the true dual pipes? Thank You
You can buy the mufflers now and the head pipes later, they will fit as we sell our stepped header design that has been swedged back down to inch and 3/4 for the slip-ons.

Old 05-24-2013 | 12:45 PM
rpking
Road Captain

Thank You for taking time to answer.

Old 05-25-2013 | 03:31 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rpking
Thank You for taking time to answer.
LOL I'm still waiting for mine ;-)

Old 05-25-2013 | 06:53 PM
denalion22
Road Master

Love my MGS True Dual Exhaust... I just had my bike dyno'd all I got is a 2013 RG 103 with an RSD high Flow and MGS TD Exhaust and the SE Super Tuner...

79HP and 97TQ not bad at all with the factory spec motor and no cams...

Old 05-25-2013 | 06:56 PM
denalion22
Road Master

Originally Posted by denalion22
Love my MGS True Dual Exhaust... I just had my bike dyno'd all I got is a 2013 RG 103 with an RSD high Flow and MGS TD Exhaust and the SE Super Tuner...

79HP and 97TQ not bad at all with the factory spec motor and no cams...

I know people will ask so I have added the print out[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-28-2013 | 07:05 PM
MGS Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JCleary
I can clearly see the difference in power, but what the heck kind of tune was he running prior to your dyno session? The blue AFR line is off the chart. (Or it isn't posted there at all.) Any bike running that lean is going to make crap for power, no matter what the exhaust. It appears the line comes back down to a more normal range in the last 500 rpm.

A true comparison would have both sets of exhausts with quality tunes on each, plus AFR graphs for both including correction factors and ambient conditions posted. Go look at HTT in the dyno section and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying these pipes aren't good, I just don't think the dyno comparisons on their website/youtube are apples to apples. I would like to see some independently verified testing, or a complete posting from MGS with nothing edited out.

I'm not saying that these pipes don't perform. Or that they aren't nice. Or they don't sound good. Just that their data is incomplete to verify their claims. I'm betting the owner of the bike threw on a Stage 1 without a tune, wasn't happy with the performance then went to MGS to get some new pipes and a dyno tune. Here's what my bike looked like with a Stage 1 tune running Woods TW6-6 cams before and after a tune:

The red line shows the baseline run with a stock HD stage 1. Clearly not enough fuel for the air coming in. Cams were installed at the shop. I didn't ride the bike like that.

You make some valid observations and I appreciate your comments. The AFR line is off the chart because the gas analyzer wasn't hooked up as we weren't going to waste a bunch of time tuning a bike that was getting the exhaust swapped out, we were just simply getting a baseline run (in hindsight and moving forward, maybe taking the extra few minutes to hook up the sniffer might be a good idea as you pointed out to help avoid some further skepticism). The bike was heated up and run several times to make sure the comparison was in fact apples to apples. The owner had his bike dyno-tuned by another shop that has a very good reputation, so I would hope that it was tuned properly when it came in (again, hooking up the sniffer would have told me; next time I won't be so lazy).
Dyno sheets can be torn apart as you just did all day long, which is why we seek out third party shops and customers to do their own evaluation under their direct supervision where any doubts can be laid to rest or confirmed.
I too hope to see some more independent evaluations of our exhaust as I am 100% confident in our product and the power it produces. If you know any shops that can do an independent evaluation, I would be more than happy to send them a set, I have added more dealers that way than by any other means and it helps to build our reputation when a neutral third party is evaluating if these things work or not.

Again, thank you for your comments, it is always good to see somebody on their toes.

Old 05-28-2013 | 07:08 PM
MGS Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by denalion22
I know people will ask so I have added the print out[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks for posting a third party dyno sheet, it is much appreciated. Glad to hear you like the exhaust.

Old 05-29-2013 | 07:52 AM
twhayes99
Intermediate

Tossing my Dyno up as well, loving the True Duals. By far the best bang for the buck I've spent on the bike.

Attached Thumbnails MGS True Duals-dynotune.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013 | 08:14 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

I don't need to Dyno mine to know that MGS TD and exhaust perform & sound way better than the Rinehart TD a & 3 1/2" exhaust that I took off. I tried to get the tech's at SLC HD to run a free test and tune but they are restricted on what they are allowed to do. It runs so good I didn't feel I'd gain much performance for the price of a Dyno.

Gerald

Last edited by gmc; 05-29-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: MGS True Duals