Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a BMW, interested in a Harley, questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Bigdave12768
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
You will be giving up Rosie O'Donnel for Jennifer Anniston. ie a more fun ride! Everything on a Harley is big,substantial,heavy duty. No plastic & flimsy pot metal. There IS no comparo. You will NEVER go back.
Originally Posted by '05Train
Wait, giving up a 500 pound bike for an 800 pound bike is giving up Rosie O'Donnell for Jennifer Aniston? How does that work? You might want to spend some time working on your analogies......

I understood it perfectly, Read it again. He would rather ride Jennifer Anniston than Rosi O'Donnell. There are some sexual overtures in "ride" He seemed to put plenty of time into his analogies.... I thought it was funny.

If you still need help understanding it. He wasnt talking aboout weight like the OP started with. He was talking looks and handling...

FYI handling was a sexual overture also.....

Old 02-05-2012, 02:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Twray
I have a BMW 1200GS and find it too tall and uncomfortable on long trips, so I'm thinking of getting a Harley touring model, but have a couple of questions..

I have trouble moving the BMW around in the garage and slight inclines and it only weighs 550 lbs., how do you guys move around a bike that is over 800 lbs.?

I understand that the new Harleys run lean and hot due to emission requirements. Can this be helped with aftermarket tuning? I live in the South and don't want a really hot bike.

Thanks in advance for your help....
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. You've got over 40 replies so far and haven't been back to reply to any of them yet!

I have owned both BMWs and Harleys since the 70s, so have plenty of experience of both. There are two answers to your question. One is that the centre of gravity of any Harley is very much lower than your GS, so you have far more leverage over the darned things. Compared with the larger and taller BMWs they don't seem anything like as heavy as the weighbridge tells us they come in at.

The other reason is a strange BMW thing. They reckon the best handling is achieved by placing the centre of gravity on a line from the rear tyre contact patch to the axis of the steering neck. That makes it very high on a bike like the GS. Harley build their bikes with the CofG much lower.

Now ride your GS to a Harley dealer and try out a few test bikes. The real test comes when you get back on your GS, to go home. That will tell you if you can handle a dresser. I still own a Glide, but recently sold my last BMW and don't plan on having another!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:03 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigdave12768
I understood it perfectly, Read it again. He would rather ride Jennifer Anniston than Rosi O'Donnell. There are some sexual overtures in "ride" He seemed to put plenty of time into his analogies.... I thought it was funny.

If you still need help understanding it. He wasnt talking aboout weight like the OP started with. He was talking looks and handling...

FYI handling was a sexual overture also.....
Right, I got all that, except that in every comparison, the Harley's Rosie. It's heavier, slower, generates more heat when it gets going, doesn't move around as well, and would be less fun to be pinned under. Unless y'all are into bigguns, and hey, to each their own.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

rent one!

My 03 bagger is comfortable to ride, and since I have ditched that GD HD suspension in favor of Progressive 440's in the rear and fork cartridges in the front the bike rides ten thousand times better.

Yes Ohlin makes suspension parts for it too, but they are a little out of my price range, just as they are for my rice bikes.

I rented a 10 FLHX last week, I loved the power of the 96 and the 6 speed was nice on the highway, but as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot I was cursing the suspension.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
The only problem I see with owning both bikes, you will have to have a different attire for the BMW. You can't ride it with an HD black Leather Jacket, Chaps and engineer boot's...

I ride a BMW and Harley and avoid branded riding gear for this reason. I don't answer to the fashion police. I'll wear my engineer boots textile suit or leathers when riding either bike. There's even been times when I found myself wearing a Harley tee while riding my BMW. I just don't think about this stuff.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Some BMW gear is black and silver, with orange linings - quite Harley friendly really, as long as you can afford it! I no longer own a BMW, after 30+ years, but we both have their warm gloves.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Some BMW gear is black and silver, with orange linings - quite Harley friendly really, as long as you can afford it! I no longer own a BMW, after 30+ years, but we both have their warm gloves.
You're right.

That's me on the right next to my BMW RT. I wear this black textile suit on either my BMW or Harley.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:38 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

A Harley and a BMW are two totally different 'animals'. The BMW is smooth, refined. The Harley is rougher, and much less refined. If you're the type who likes both ends of the spectrum, with the BMW and Harley at opposite ends, then you'll be ok.

Your GS is a tall bike. No doubt, some of the awkwardness of moving it has to do with its height (and yours). The Harley, even though it weighs more, will put your feet nearer the ground, giving you better purchase. You can get a comfy seat for the Harley, do the couple of tricks guys are doing to improve performance/decrease heat, and be good to go in these regards... (Rent a Harley for the weekend, the model you're interested in, and see how it 'fits' you).

In the end though, you still have the 'technological refinement' of the BMW versus the 'attitude' of the Harley. If you can function equally well in both worlds, then you'll probably be fine with a Harley. But if you require the techno...the Harley probably won't suit you, and you might be better off looking at a touring or sport-touring BMW...

Alan

Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
I ride a BMW and Harley and avoid branded riding gear for this reason. I don't answer to the fashion police. I'll wear my engineer boots textile suit or leathers when riding either bike. There's even been times when I found myself wearing a Harley tee while riding my BMW. I just don't think about this stuff.
I wear full Motorport Kevlar mesh jacket and pants on my RKC. Along with either Wesco or Aerostitch boots.

I've been asked by Harley folks at the dealer whom I know well 'how I could wear this, especially on a hot summer's day'.

My answer: protection! For I've seen Harley riders with Tee shirts and jeans and some with shorts get really messed up on a fall.

BTW, I also wore my Langlitz on the BMW's and Triumphs of the past.

I didn't care what others think back then and I certainly don't give a you-know-what they think now.

Wear what you want, ride what you want, enjoy your ride!

BTW, I no longer am looking at a R1200GS for an adventure bike! Unless I get a low mileage screaming deal.

It's now a Yamaha Super Tenere! Put that in the pipe and smoke that one!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:50 AM
catcher
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW to Harley

As if you don't have enough opinions already, I'll add my two cents worth. I can speak from experience. I bought a new 2004 1150 RT^ BMW because I thought it was a great touring bike from what I had read on the BMW forum. I loved many things about it but I hated the sitting position. On both of my longer trips it killed my hips and I cramped so bad I could hardly walk when getting off. So, I sold it after only a year and bought a 2003 Road Glide and never looked back. I love the sitting position and the ride. It sounds great and is easy on the long trips. Granted the brakes, perfromance and handlinmg are better on the BMW but that is apples to oranges. Overall I love my Road Glide it handles well enough, goes fast enough, but could stop a whole lot better. Still like the cruiser seating position better than the BMW. It all comes down to what YOU want. Good luck

Last edited by catcher; 02-06-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Have a BMW, interested in a Harley, questions.....