Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a BMW, interested in a Harley, questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As others have said the heat is manageable, it has a low center of gravity and is agile when using the engine to move it, use your head and don't take remedial classes at the "School of Hard Knocks".

Rent one for a weekend before you buy. And remember the least expensive part about a Harley Davidson is buying the bike.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:01 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

I used to have a 2002 GS with bar risers. It had the best ergonomics of any motorcycle I've owned or ridden so far and I'm comparing to bikes like an electro glide. My point is I don't think you will find a significant improvement in comfort moving to another bike that cannot be fixed with tweaking seats or bar positions.

Most HD bikes have a much lower center of gravity which can sometimes make them feel lighter than they are. They are also easier to paddle around/backup with the low seat height.

Last edited by fat_tony; 02-03-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 PM
clbking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice question. All the answers are great and true. I had the twin cam '10 GS1200 low suspension, low seat, no ESA. It was the most comfy bike I ever had. I also could go most anywhere and did not fear getting lost and running out of pavement. I'm 5'7" 170lbs., and could plant my feet at stops and in and around parking lots. I've had Gold wings and the K12RS and K12S but this bike was such a utilitarian bike. Pluses are its storage capacity and what ever else could easily be loaded or electrically wired into its battery. Lots of amps there.
Problem: buffering with stock windshield. Knees felt too cramped after 200+ miles. Low seat was too thin so butt ached.
Did a demo ride on a Road King and absolutely fell in love with its handling (slow and normal riding), relative lean angle, comfort of seat and ergos. No buffering, monkey butt, or cramped knees with the floorboards.
Another plus is the HD dealership network all around this country since I like to tour. No problem with its weight in the garage. Easy to work on specially with the service manual and this fine forum. No need to take the bash plate off to change oil lol!
Lots of parts and accessories to keep you busy (or broke). Changed my entire exhaust system so no more heat from my 96 cu in. engine. In stock form it was a bit hot on that (right) side as the cat is in the headers. People de-cat their stock exhaust headers to get rid of the heat. Seems to work.
Yes by all means, either demo one (during the week is better so you can ride longer) or rent one from most Harley dealers where they have the latest models. I think you will like them. Good luck

Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Two different machines. I replaced my Ultra Limited with an R1200RT, but I did extensive test rides on a GS Adventure. Here's my thoughts for what they're worth.

- You feel substantially more heat on the Harley than you do on the BMW. Google CHP's bike tests, and you can clearly see that the Harley substantially hotter than the Beemer.

- While the Harley's low center of gravity really helps moving it around, the fact of the matter is that any Harley tourer is going to be 200-320 pounds heavier than my RT, which is probably 75-80 pounds heavier than your GS.

- A Harley, even a stock one, is going to be much louder than your GS. It's a better sound to my ear (the Harley is), but that's subjective.

- Dynamically, your GS is a better bike in every measure. It'll stop, go, turn, and ride far better than any Harley, no matter how much money you throw at it.

- 5,000 mile service intervals on a Harley, 6,000 miles on a BMW. Gotta do a valve adjustment on the BMW, but that's pretty simple. More fluids on a Harley. Probably no real difference here.

- Looks are subjective, but generally people agree that the Harley's the better looking bike.

- The riding position is very different. Are you going to be comfortable in the more laid-back, feet-forward position?

To me, the GS and GSA are the most versatile bikes on the planet. The Harley Touring bikes excel at carrying two people over long distances in comfort. For any sort of sporting riding, you'll mis your GS, as it'll flat-out clean any Harley's clock on a twisty road.

If you're looking for a comfortable touring bike though, I'm very, very happy with my RT.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:35 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Twray
I have a BMW 1200GS and find it too tall and uncomfortable on long trips, so I'm thinking of getting a Harley touring model, but have a couple of questions..

I have trouble moving the BMW around in the garage and slight inclines and it only weighs 550 lbs., how do you guys move around a bike that is over 800 lbs.?

I understand that the new Harleys run lean and hot due to emission requirements. Can this be helped with aftermarket tuning? I live in the South and don't want a really hot bike.

Thanks in advance for your help....
Welcome to a new world. Your questions are bit limited in scope when comparing the two bikes, and you're going to get more than you ever bargained for in the responses, all well-intended advice that you'll need to sift thru.

I think you're headed for a Harley, enjoy the ride.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
hdman
Road Captain

Well, here's my .02.... I'm a dyed in the wool Harley Head.. Harleys got Class, Soul, and
a 110 year Heritage....... They dont change much..... and it dont get no better than when an Old Timer comes up to ya at the Gas Pump, looks at my 2011 Black Harley
Dresser.. and sez.... " Had one just like her son, back in 83".... Nope. It just dont get no better Bro............................... hdman

Old 02-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Well Mr. TWray, you have been given wonderful advice and opinions from folks that know. I personally agree with everything the other posters have shared with you. Lots of folks have ridden the rest, and in some cases still do. I've never owned a BMW, but I have test driven 3 different models: K1200gt, K1300gt, R1200rt. I've owned the Yamaha FJR1300A Sport Tourer. Loved them all. I've owned three Harleys...a 2000 Road King, a 2004 Ultra Classic, and now a 2010 Ultra Classic Limited.

Sometimes I get really pissed at Harley. The heat, the handling, the vibrations, the pathetically low horse power. But you know, I still hang on to the brand because despite the fact that more and more of the Harley parts are made in China and Japan, it is still an American designed bike, assembled in America, with a "soul" that cannot be duplicated by any other brand. I know that might sound somewhat romantic, but I confess.
Do rent yourself a few of the different models. Ride them around for a bit and see what you like. Welcome to the forum and continue to ask questions. Lots of mature riders here that are happy to help!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, like others have mentioned they are completely different bikes and renting one for a weekend would be a good way to get an idea. Some dealers will even deduct the cost of the rental from the purchase price, just ask around.

Are they heavy - hell yes! While you don't want to let one get away from you moving it around, if you use a bit of common sense you'll be ok. I learned a long time ago it's sometimes better to sit on the bike and duck walk than it is to walk beside it and push it, especially if I'm on uneven or slippery surfaces. With that said, they are very easy to master low speed turns due to the center of gravity.

And yes, they are hot. You can spend a couple of grand to cool them down a bit, things like different headers on the newer bikes to eliminate the cat, as well as oil coolers and fuel management systems help, but they still put off some heat. I'm in Texas and as long as I'm moving, I'm ok. If I'm stuck in traffic during rush hour when it's 103 out I suffer, but no bike is comfortable in those conditions.

Oh, and one other thing, you mention the BMW doesn't fit you right. With Harley, there are an almost endless combination of seats, handlebars and foot controls that will allow the bike to be customized to fit you and your style of riding. Yes, you have to spend money, but there are a lot more choices that you get with other bikes. I've looked at the Goldwings, but they just don't seemed to be made for tall riders. And there are only a few options out there to try to make it fit, with Harley there are way too many to count. A touring bike should fit you good enough that you can ride for 8 hours a day for a week straight, and not be beat up. It's not that hard to get a Harley set up to do that, with a good seat, you're halfway there.

Last edited by bluffalobob; 02-03-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, they're all good. Like to add a GS Next.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,082 Likes on 12,187 Posts

Rent one. You'll probably go running back to the GS and hug it. It will feel like a 200 lb dirtbike after manhandling any Harley around town. You'll probably get a speeding ticket because the BMW gets to illegal speeds faster than most Harleys get to 30.

But.....after awhile, something might draw you back. You'll rent one again and it won't seem so slow. The handling will seem better too. Not great - but better. You'll learn to accept a hot crotch at stoplights in lieu of hot shins while rolling. You'll love electronic cruise control and the adjustable back support. You marvel at being able to flat foot at stoplights. You'll wonder how you ever got along without being able to put a full face helmet in the tourpack. You'll start to rev at stoplights.

Then you'll start thinking about Road King vs Ultra vs Road Glide. Black or some other color? The sales people will start to know you by name.

At that point your hooked. Resistance is futile.

(Yes - I had a GS - great bike, but not a Harley)

Quick Reply: Have a BMW, interested in a Harley, questions.....