Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me outta Rinehart TD's...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:57 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

I can't talk you out of it the RH true duels is my favorite exhaust

Old 02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=iclick;9344578]Some like the sound of the TD's, but they will hurt performance to some degree.

Really, TD's hurt performance? How do you arrive at that conclusion, my man? Not arguing here, just wondering, since you're that only one I've ever heard make such a broad claim.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:55 PM
torkrollin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was looking at the V&H dresser duals and seen the V&H power duals and really like them. anybody got any info on them?

Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 PM
TaterSaladonaRoadking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find what you like and go with it. Every idiot on this forum has done their own independent research and the all have bought the best product out there. I love my td and to me they look the best, but I'm just another idiot!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by TaterSaladonaRoadking
Find what you like and go with it. Every idiot on this forum has done their own independent research and the all have bought the best product out there. I love my td and to me they look the best, but I'm just another idiot!
Best post in this thread. Nuff said, you have the answer!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:50 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

[quote=Leftcoaster;9348412]
Originally Posted by iclick
Some like the sound of the TD's, but they will hurt performance to some degree.

Really, TD's hurt performance? How do you arrive at that conclusion, my man? Not arguing here, just wondering, since you're that only one I've ever heard make such a broad claim.
That's not a secret, a lot of people know about this, but hurt performance may be a little misunderstood. True duals do not reap the benefit of scavenging therefore they give up some low end torque, which is more desireable to get a heavy touring machine moving. The trade off is they carry HP a little further out. Basically true duals shift the TQ/HP to the right a little bit. Not necessarily bad just different performance, people like duals for the sound not performance, anyone performance oriented will tell you 2:1 is the way to go. You can't have everything, where would you put it all?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:35 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Yes, they do reduce performance compared to a system with a crossover because reversion forces are not controlled as well, which as Fabrik8r said is manifested mostly in the low-end of the performance equation. Fuel Moto sells all types of systems including TD's and have done hundreds of dyno-tunes for many years on all kinds of configurations, and if anyone wants first-hand info on this I would recommend contacting them or any other experienced dyno-tuner for more info.

Last edited by iclick; 02-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by MGS Custom Bikes
The MGS true dual exhaust system produces an increase by 12+ foot pounds of torque on a stock bike.
Your chart comparison looks good, but almost anything will manifest a big jump over a stock system. I assume you are changing the AC as well, which is a big factor in any Stage 1 performance gain.

TD's don't perform as well as a non-cat 2-1-2, 2-1, or the older stock systems ('08 and earlier), all other factors being equal. IOW, both with the same AC and muffler upgrades and a good tune. Whether any given rider can feel the difference is another matter, and I think most buy these systems because of their unique stereo sound and cosmetic appeal. If there weren't gains to be made from using a crossover pipe HD would not have spent the extra money engineering these into stock bikes for decades.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TaterSaladonaRoadking
You're not an idiot at all, of course. Like cams or most anything else, exhaust systems are full of compromises, and cosmetic appearance is most important to you. The next guy might prefer a better performance bump with another exhaust configuration, but neither decision is wrong if the rider's priorities and needs have been satisfied.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Yes, they do reduce performance compared to a system with a crossover because reversion forces are not controlled as well, which as Fabrik8r said is manifested mostly in the low-end of the performance equation. Fuel Moto sells all types of systems including TD's and have done hundreds of dyno-tunes for many years on all kinds of configurations, and if anyone wants first-hand info on this I would recommend contacting them or any other experienced dyno-tuner for more info.

I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree 'cause there's no way any stock 'Y' pipe system can make more power than a TD with stepped headers. You're offering your personal opinion and claim it as fact and it just isn't true.
I'm also a big fan of Fuel Moto and they do indeed 'know their stuff'. And it's quite true that a 2-1 will produce more power than a TD. And it's also true that the Rinehart TD moves the power a little to the right, but the difference at say 1500-2000 rpm is minimal on a stock motor and nearly imperceptible.
Your claim that a stepped header TD 'reduces power' is pure bunk and not supported by any data I'm aware of.

Quick Reply: Talk me outta Rinehart TD's...