Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid frame heat deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:37 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 664 Likes on 529 Posts

i used the rj"s go on easy stay on don't crack or fade,and u can easily reach the backrest adjuster,american made (all vet company) with all american materials.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:23 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say that I snugged the bolts pretty good, but I'd put money that under those metal top clips that (are covered anyway) the paints all chewed up and scraped away, no way around it....I bet the ultras that have them factory installed have to be the same way......tight metal clips and painted metal don't mix that well.......

Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
One thing you can use on nuts and bolts that will work like thread lock is wax. I learned this old trick while shooting archery as the points were always loosening up from the inserts in the arrows. Works great as a thread lock while also working as an anti-seize.
Wax will never take the heat under there. It will drip away and be gone after the first stop light.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I gotta admit, the painted ones look sweet. But I opted for painless/easy, albeit more $$, for the Capt Itch deflectors. They can come off very easy for cooler spring/fall rides when more heat is appreciated....

Last edited by troop; 02-04-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:01 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RJ's are the best. Nothing to paint, no pain in the *** fastners. Match the seat. Their so good HD would copy them if they could.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by baust55
i got the Captain Itch Crotch Cooler for my 2008 FLHRC looks great ! damm nice well made product.
Originally Posted by santajim
Do yourself a favor and get the crotch coolers from Captn. Itch. They are freakin' awesome.
Originally Posted by troop
I gotta admit, the painted ones look sweet. But I opted for painless/easy, albeit more $$, for the Capt Itch deflectors. They can come off very easy in summer heat ...
I just don't like the look of the Capt Itch unit. It has the look of just "thrown over the frame" clutter.
IMO it just takes away the clean look of the ride and directs you to look at the deflector.
If I ever install a shield, I want it to just fade away and not look like it is the center of attention.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:55 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
I just don't like the look of the Capt Itch unit. It has the look of just "thrown over the frame" clutter.
IMO it just takes away the clean look of the ride and directs you to look at the deflector.
If I ever install a shield, I want it to just fade away and not look like it is the center of attention.
I agree... that why I got the factory ones, they look like they belong plus like another poster said it hides that space in the rear fir a cleaner look ......

Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dlongo8241
I agree... that why I got the factory ones, they look like they belong plus like another poster said it hides that space in the rear fir a cleaner look ......
They do look like a thrown over pice that doesn't fit in but I haven't seen one in person so my opinion might change. Do they rub on the covers on both sides, look like they come darn close? I agree the factory ones look more like they belong.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:14 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
They do look like a thrown over pice that doesn't fit in but I haven't seen one in person so my opinion might change. Do they rub on the covers on both sides, look like they come darn close? I agree the factory ones look more like they belong.
if you are asking about the factory ones, then no they don't rub at all. DL

Old 02-04-2012, 07:34 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dlongo8241
if you are asking about the factory ones, then no they don't rub at all. DL
No DL, I was referenceing the aftermarket ones. I know the proper factory ones don't rub. Thanks

Quick Reply: Mid frame heat deflectors