Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info wanted on '12 RKC pricing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The bars I have are "heritage style" bars. Not true Heritage bars. True Heritage bars sit up taller than even the ones I have. Mine are a huge improvement over stock, but I still wish I had the real deal. I inquired recently about getting a set and they brought out a set for me to try. Deal breaker was the cost to modify them what with having to be notched for the TBW. $800.00 just for the labor. I said no thanks.

If you're getting true Heritage bars in your deal, congrats and I'm sure you'll love them. If they're the heritage style bars like mine, you will still like them, but they won't be up near your shoulders. I rode mine for a week with the stock bars and the difference is amazing! Still, I wish I had gotten true Heritage bars.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 AM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
The bars I have are "heritage style" bars. Not true Heritage bars. True Heritage bars sit up taller than even the ones I have. Mine are a huge improvement over stock, but I still wish I had the real deal. I inquired recently about getting a set and they brought out a set for me to try. Deal breaker was the cost to modify them what with having to be notched for the TBW. $800.00 just for the labor. I said no thanks.

If you're getting true Heritage bars in your deal, congrats and I'm sure you'll love them. If they're the heritage style bars like mine, you will still like them, but they won't be up near your shoulders. I rode mine for a week with the stock bars and the difference is amazing! Still, I wish I had gotten true Heritage bars.
What's the difference between the true and the kind you have?

Are the "true" Heritage bars the ones that come stock on the Heritage Softy and the kind you have an after-market part?

Old 02-04-2012, 11:46 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DC4MVP
What's the difference between the true and the kind you have?

Are the "true" Heritage bars the ones that come stock on the Heritage Softy and the kind you have an after-market part?

They're not after-market. They are HD. But they are designed similar to earlier versions of the Heritage Softail Classic's bars. The 09 and new HSCs have different bars. They are taller (about 12") and a different wrist angle for the grip area.

Now there are those here that state the new HSC bars will fit the King with no modification. But, the dealer showed me the bars and they have to be notched (precisely) for the TBW, and they state that the wires and cables will also need to be extended. Thus the high cost labor charges.

To save $800 labor, I'll keep the bars I have. Like I said, they are a huge improvement over stock. And after sitting on mine, several RK owners have gone in and had their's changed out too.

Here's a couple of pics to show my posture with the stock bars, and the new bars. I'm 5'11" tall.

Stock bars... Note hunched over posture, forward position of the shoulders, and arms extended to reach the bars.

Heritage style bars. Note more upright position with straight back and relaxed arms.

Last edited by DannyZ71; 02-04-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

I see.

The bars I like are the stock ones on the 2012 Heritage. I'll probably stick with the stock RKC bars this year and perhaps switch over in the fall or next spring if I don't like the stock bars now.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

MSRP + tax/title is what I'd start out with and try to get down from there, that's the absolute top end to pay for one. You can do better, but the best deals are usually on leftover models. I got mine for approximately that with no delivery charge, + tax/title, and that was in August of 2010 when the 2011's were just rolling in.

You can't compare out the door price directly because different states have different sales tax rates.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DC4MVP
$19,225 (tax/title included) including free delivery (which should be free anyway, dangit!) and he said he'd take some money off the new handle bars I'm getting thrown on it right off the bat..
You did fine with the price! Darn good in fact.

I bought a 2011 RKC and I know my price and yours.

Now go out and ride the bike!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 PM
bthinnes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the exact same bike in the same color in October. You got your scooter for about 100.00 and some change less that I paid for mine. Congratulations. Enjoy and ride safe. As others have said, as long as you’re satisfied and happy just ride in the wind and let the braggers talk. Talk is real cheap. :-)

Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Sath
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you got a decent deal. I had the same question when I bought my SG. When shopping I noticed different prices for what appeared to be the same bike. When I investigated I found that options were the main reason. Security, CC, ABS, Spoke wheels, even color. In 09 any color other than Black was a $600 dollar option. Sales tax and registration vary state to state too so if you are trying to weigh out the deal you got everything should be considered. When I bought my Limited I shopped around Nickle and diming the dealers and vice versa. After I signed the papers I stopped thinking about the deal and moved on to riding.

Enjoy your ride

Sath

Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you did fine. I bought a 2011 RKC last year, this time and paid MSRP. I learned one thing about telling people what you pay. Some A-hole always has to brag about how they paid less. Frankly, most of the time I think its idle chatter BS. Some people just have the need to rain on other's parade. If you like the bike, who cares. 10 years from now it will not make a difference.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:26 PM
JRP267
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

where did you buy it? I got mine at zylstra in elk river. 2012 black RK with cruise 17,600 + tax title lic.

Quick Reply: Info wanted on '12 RKC pricing