Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought hd LED headlight. Disappointed. See why

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bought hd LED headlight. Disappointed. See why

I was going to buy the Trucklite LED headlights. Read all the great reviews. I ended up
buying the HD ones because the reviews, the pics and videos seem to indicate that the light disperses better ( meaning you see farther away mostly on the sides). Well , that ended up being true. No disappointments there. The problem is that I I no longer see
well at night because of my eye's light absorption is poor.

I need to see clearly several feet in front of me on the hiway not on the sides. Yeah,light dispersion on the sides could help seeing someone on the side of the road or a deer but that is the unusual case. The most commoncase is debree on the road in front of you comming at you at a very high rate of speed and the HD lights do not ilumenate very strongly past 20 feet in front of the bike BECAUSE it is dispersing the light to the sides. However, the Trucklites seem , based on the pics and videos, to put most of the light energy in front of the bike which is where you need it most. I hope this helps those of you looking to get LED headlights.

I would say the HD LED lights are a bit better than my regular lights even with a PIAA H4 but not worth the $500.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,928 Likes on 19,373 Posts

Sounds like an expensive lesson ... thanks for passing it on.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Lancemchn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have any experience with the LED headlights, not super crazy about the "unlit" look, but have the dual bulb HD light with HIDs in it and am THRILLED with night vision. Both in front and peripheral.... JM2C

Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need extra light directly in front of your bike, My brother bought halogen lights that bolt onto your lower legs. Work great.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:13 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

lot more expensive lesson than my experiment with an HID lightbulb in the stock housing/reflector. Sounds like the same results as yours. Very good lighting to the left and right, but down the road no better or perhaps worse than the factory.
My $150 HID Kit was removed after a week and boxed back up and put on the shelf as a failed experiment.
Actually had considered a Harley upgrade, but not the LED - too much dinero for me.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancemchn
Don't have any experience with the LED headlights, not super crazy about the "unlit" look, but have the dual bulb HD light with HIDs in it and am THRILLED with night vision. Both in front and peripheral.... JM2C
I thought the dual bulb kit used standard halogen bulbs?

Old 02-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my HD LED lights (headlight & passing lamps) and it lights up the road WAY further than my PIA bulb equipped OEM headlight with much better side to side coverage as well.

I will probably go with the newest generation of Trucklite's LED on the wife's bike

Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Beach
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your adjustment on your light. I have the HD led light, and its the best change I've made. I have a large lighted field of vision in front of me

Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have the HD LED lights and find them a great improvement of stock. My LEDs project quite a bit further than the Halogen, both to the front and to the sides of the road. I purchased LEDs for the headlight and spot lamps because I too HAD problems seeing at night. Not any more!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Artexman
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 25 Posts

+1 for the HD LED headlight, I agree it is over price but much better than stock.

Quick Reply: Bought hd LED headlight. Disappointed. See why