Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought hd LED headlight. Disappointed. See why

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

The engine guard mounted HD fog lights put a lot of light in front and on the sides of the bike, they are also well made. The fogs along with the spot lights put out an incredible amount of light, for the first time I have a motorcycle that gives me the lighting that most cars do.

added: the fog lights do not put a lot of light down the road just front and sides, but when I switch to high beams its a whole lot of light.

Last edited by EricD10563; 02-02-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:05 PM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truck-Lite

Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
I thought the dual bulb kit used standard halogen bulbs?
The Dual Bulb Kit indeed does use standard halogen bulbs. H11 and H9. As a matter of fact I tried to use bulbs with a whiter light and found the headlight works better with the original bulbs but the headlight has to be aimed right.

If you look at the graphs in the following short-cuts you will see that using the LED headlight should give you a wider path of light and just a slightly shorter distance of light than the Dual Bulb headlight. Both of which are still better than the OE Headlight.

LED lights are whiter than Halogen which is slightly yellow. You can see quite easily the difference in colour if you compare them to each other. Apparently, LED light is closer to the colour of natural daylight.

I presently use the Truck-lite passing lights with the Dual Bulb Headlight. I found when I first started using the Dual Bulb Headlight, I wasn't impressed with it until I adjusted it properly. The MOCO's instructions for aiming the light are a good start but you have fine tune it from there as there are variables such as rider weight, height and position on the bike itself, as well as other factors. You may actually have to readjust when you load up your bike for road trips or change tires.

Another note of interest is Truck-Lite is introducing a new LED headlight with only 3 LEDs in it, Phase 7. It has a wider angle (45 degrees) of light and no blank spots and brighter than the Phase 6. If it's not already out it will be real soon. It costs about 2/3 the price of HD's and is more visible to oncoming cages in the day light. From the looks in the pictures I've seen it looks more like a conventional Halogen light only whiter and brighter. Rumor has it has a $300.00 price tag.

To the OP I would suggest before you give up on the very expensive LED headlight you purchased that you try aiming it more to your particluar circumstances. I do believe you will find a point at which you become very impressed and happy with the LED headlight.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...eam_Charts.pdf

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US..._High_Beam.pdf

Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VERY happy with my HD LED headlight and AUX lighting! HUGE improvement over stock, the dual halogen and the HD HID...I've had all of them!

Steve

Old 02-02-2012, 01:47 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm happy with the Truk-Lite LED's since they are way more visible during the day and significantly improve night vision as well. I understand the HD LED's are a little better at night but invisible during the day. They also cost double what the TL's cost.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jberg
I'm happy with the Truk-Lite LED's since they are way more visible during the day and significantly improve night vision as well. I understand the HD LED's are a little better at night but invisible during the day. They also cost double what the TL's cost.
I think "invisible" may be a little bit of a stretch....

Old 02-02-2012, 02:06 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I need to see an eye doctor. i might be going blind

Old 02-02-2012, 02:07 PM
clbking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check alignment and aiming as I am super happy with my HD LED's.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:50 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Okay, I'll take it back. I know "invisible" is a bit of an exaggeration. Even when they're off I can still see them.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:58 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted my setup, Truck-lie 7" headlamp, and HD driving lamps.
Also purchased Custom Dynamics 2" chrome LED driving lights which give more of the side lighting you are talking about, I have the best of both worlds.
Can see debris close and far away.
I live near a park where there are lot O' deer running around, so lighting is very important to me!

Quick Reply: Bought hd LED headlight. Disappointed. See why