Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS 660 or 665?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GPS 660 or 665?

OK, here is my situation... while my '09 Street Glide is at the dealership getting a number of mods, I am also having a HD 665 GPS w/ XM installed.

Here is my conundrum... I already have the in-radio nav module (which I do not like at all, hence, the want for a new GPS) However, I also have the in-radio XM module which I am very happy with. My dealer ordered me the 665 and told me there is value in my XM module for resale on eBay. He also told me I could get the XM weather overlay on the GPS which is nice but in no way a necessity. (I really don't need it) So, my question is, are the XM radio functions on the GPS operated via the GPS itself, or via the hand controls and radio head, as they are with the in-radio XM module? I do not wish to have to go to the GPS to change stations etc as I am very much used to scrolling stations, etc using the hand controls. If this is the case, I'll just go with the 660 for the GPS functions and leave my in-radio XM module in tact. PWIW, I'm going with the fairing mount with the leather dash pad deal. What I guess I really want to know is what is a better set up for GPS and XM... a 660 with in radio XM module or a 665? Any help with this would be appreciated.

Last edited by dgdamore; 02-01-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I also just went the this decision making on the 660 or 665. I went with the 660 and added the NIM to hear the cammands theought the speakers. I usually alwas use the hand controld for radio functions as well. I was most interested in the GPS itself. I have heard of issues witht he xm antenna mounted under the fairing not reciving very well and worse if you have a amp in there. I wanted to keep it pretty GPS oriented and stick to the radio for all music functions. I did put in a optinal microDS card in the GPS to increase the amout of storage. I think it was like 16 bucks online. I usually use the radio on the bike for my burned mp3 discs then just use the handlebar buttons. I am very happy with the 660. I had mine done like the CVO bikes and am very pleased witht he style and function of it. I am now planning routes on the ride planner and downloading them onto the 660 for this years Laconia trip. Reduces the times looking at the maps. This is my forst GPS and I use in in the truck as well. I attached a few before and after photos. Hope this helps. Jeff

Attached Thumbnails GPS 660 or 665?-pb100002.jpg   GPS 660 or 665?-pb150003.jpg   GPS 660 or 665?-pb190002.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the 660 because I already had a lifetime Sirius account. I didn't bother doing the internal wiring thing. I just use the HK aux input.

I like the 660 for a number of reasons. I bought lifetime map updates from Amazon for $70 and a few 16GB micro SD card for audiobooks and mp3 files. Keep in mind, the cheapest SD memory isn't always the best. Get a high quality high speed brand. I spent weeks on the road over 10,000 miles on a long trip with mine and noticed a dramatic performance difference in cheap memory versus my Transcend brand cards.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:56 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey Shrug, I followed your allaska pade when you did it. that was a great trip. Thats a good idea about swapping different cards. I will plan on that. I also am planning a 8k+ trip for next year. Thats why I went the the 660 setup from harley as well. I plan on a round trip cross country loop (southern, up cali coast, and Northern rout back) I plan on using my Ipod touch and the Zumo for most things. I will defintly get better grade cards for this trip like you said. Thanks Jeff.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmmm, I think I'm going to tell him to cancel the 665 and stick with the 660. I do intend on getting the NIM though. Thanks guys. It really is a nice look with the leather dash.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgdamore
Hmmm, I think I'm going to tell him to cancel the 665 and stick with the 660. I do intend on getting the NIM though.
Consider the cost of the module and think about whether or not you want to hear that annoying GPS voice interrupting your music and telling you to turn left. Garmin's Lane Assist feature is pretty good. I practically never have the GPS instructions audio on. A short 1/8" cable from the 660 to the Aux port cost me $3, is removable, and equally functional.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

The wifey gave me a 660 for Christmas and admittedly I havent spent a lot of time with it. Couple questions, I don't seem to have the lane assist and I don't have mine wired to the radio so I am constantly looking at the screen.

The previous owner already had the mount on the batwing so I just put my 660 in it. So, if I understand correctly, I either get the NIM and hear the annoying voice through my radio constantly or use the aux plug and only plug it in when I really need it, correct? Why no lane assist? Appreciate any help and yes, I know, read the instructions.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shrug
Consider the cost of the module and think about whether or not you want to hear that annoying GPS voice interrupting your music and telling you to turn left. Garmin's Lane Assist feature is pretty good. I practically never have the GPS instructions audio on. A short 1/8" cable from the 660 to the Aux port cost me $3, is removable, and equally functional.
Definitely worth considering. Can the voice commands be turned off or on at will?

Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned the 660 for 2-3 years....love it. I would say this is the most useful item I have purchased for my bike. I have a XM roady I use for the bike, truck, shop, office...I pay one subscription and use it 24/7.
I also keep the audio turned down on the GPS...I went with the fairing mount and did not connect it to my audio system on purpose. I do not want that stupid girl telling me she is recalculating my route everytime I turn off on an adventure.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:16 PM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 660 and the HD XM module. I can listed to XM on those occasions when I don't need a GPS. I believe you will have to display your 665 all the time in order to use the XM receiver. When not using the 660 I store it in one of the saddlebags, out of sight. When parking the bike I don't have to do anything to secure the XM module which is under the fairing. If you already have the XM Module, no need for a GPS with built-in satellite radio. I also use the fairing mount and it works great!

Quick Reply: GPS 660 or 665?