Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS 660 or 665?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just got the 660 a few weeks ago and have only played with it a few times. The lane assist is pretty cool. For example, on a double left turn, it positions you in the correct lane for the next turn. Unless there are different versions, I would think your 660 would offer lane assist. Have you used it on an Interstate?

Regarding an earlier question, is connecting a wire from the 660 to the aux input all that's required if you want to hear the directions through the bikes speakers?

Originally Posted by brandss
The wifey gave me a 660 for Christmas and admittedly I havent spent a lot of time with it. Couple questions, I don't seem to have the lane assist and I don't have mine wired to the radio so I am constantly looking at the screen.

The previous owner already had the mount on the batwing so I just put my 660 in it. So, if I understand correctly, I either get the NIM and hear the annoying voice through my radio constantly or use the aux plug and only plug it in when I really need it, correct? Why no lane assist? Appreciate any help and yes, I know, read the instructions.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 AM
rmw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The lane assist view/page automatically displays when it is available for an exchange and no where near all exchanges are covered. I've had my 660 since last May and I've seen the lane assist pop up only in major cities, Louisville, Indy and Minneapolis. In my home area, nada. If you have the manual, info in on page 18.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Zumo 550, but my brother has the 600 (the one w/o XM). We discuss both on my blog: swriding.blogspot.com

Old 02-03-2012, 07:42 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

I've been using Garmin GPS since the original Street Pilot. I used to have a 2610 for my RK but got a Zumo 450 for $150 on another forum and bought lifetime maps for $75. Every GPS I've ever owned, including the one in our '11 Grand Cherokee, I shut off the voice.

I use my iPod for music so no need for XM - even though I love the Sirius in my Jeep. Lane assist, really? Are you kidding me? Nuff said, I won't get into how stupid you have to be to need that.

I'll eventually upgrade the 450 but for me, I mainly use my GPS when I take off with no destination in mine in the GA mountains and just ride. Nice to be able to find my way to a gas station or back to civilization. It's nice on long trips like to Sturgis too. The last trip we made to Sturgis, I pre-programmed all of the HD dealers withing 50 miles of our route. Comes in handy if something goes wrong.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:44 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

I went with the 660 and the NIM just to keep the clean look while I'm riding. I don't like having any dangling wires. I know it was 150 bucks for the NIM just the hear the lady tell you to turn here etc, however, she already caught me doing to much sightseeing on a long day and that reminded me that i had a turn ahead. So that helps me out on those long rides. I don't even use the GPS on local roads and such. I got this set up to do the large trips and the NIM will just give me a good idea that im not off track with out having to look at the GPS. But the wire is a option if you don't want the spend the $$. Either way it was a great addition/tool to keep you on your way. I have been doing the map thing for all my riding years and although I am good at it, it does get old having all those different states or road atlas etc. Jeff