Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild 1's on my 12 Street Glide????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Wild 1's on my 12 Street Glide????

I have been waiting for some money to come in so I could get my new bars. I have talked to Shawn at Dr. V-Twins. So here we go. I know there have been several threads on this, but I'm going to try to gear this one towards my choices....lol..

Anyways, I'm 6-3 on a 2012 SG. I want bagger bars that are about shoulder height or slighlty above. (not much though)... I had the wild ones (WO572 - 14") on my 07 RKC and loved them. I can't decide between WO577 - 12.5" or WO576 14"... Anyone have these please post.. or anyone with some advice please post. Thanks.

Now the wiring. These bars will be easier to pull wire unlike the Monkey Bars. However, I can't decide whether to just buy the extension kits for all of the wires, or just cut all the wires, staggered or course. Buy me a large roll of 18 gauge wire and make my own bundle of wires with lables because all the wires will be the came color, and pull them through the bars with enough hanging out of each end. Solder the grip half of the stock wires onto the wire extension, pull the excess through the bars and then solder the other end with the other half of the stock wires. It would be a little cheaper, but I don't know if the cost vs. the extra work would be worth it.... Also, I don't know how this will affect the TBW sensory... Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Next will be the ABS. I'm buying all new lines.. Top and bottom. I know you are not suppose to get air in the ABS.... I'm not sure, but I heard you can force fluid through the caliper end to push any air up through... Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I figure the worse case scenario I would get a little air in the line, or box and have to ride it to the dealer and pay them to bleed it... Right?.. Again, advice greatly appreciated.

I have decided on the PM XL contour grips to replace stock... along with black pearl magnum lines all the way around... Everything will be black. Thanks

I know this is long and some of it is repeated, but please post. Thanks in advance,...

Murph

Last edited by murph; 02-01-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
DocO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my WO577's on my 2010 FLHX. I'm quite a bit shorter than you though, but it's mainly my legs that are short, not my trunk. Anyway, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't buy the wire kit. I'd just get a roll of wire and go to town. The reason being is that I soldered every connection anyway, and it was more of a PITA it re-pin the connectors than it was worth. We did the cut and solder method with a friends Road King, and it worked perfectly for 4 years. I would probably have saved some time if I had just cut and soldered in new wires on mine. The "kit" just makes it sound so much easier, since it's.. well.. you know.. a kit.

One thing I did have to do with the 12.5" bars on my bike though was to add mirrors. The bars are just about the right height for your arms to be covering the fairing mounted mirrors. I found I was constantly ducking my head and lifting my arms to see them. I bought a set of Slipstreamer mirrors. I have excellent rear viability now.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:10 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the opposite problem (5'6") but yet on my '02RK I have 12" Chubby's (I'll have to look up the model #'s). I have a '12 SG coming in about 3 weeks and I'm expecting I'll have to change the bars to get a bit more comfortable. I would have thought extending the wires for a TBW bike would impart additiona/different resistence signals. I like the idea of doing it yourself; cheaper, tailored to your setup, etc.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I wouldn't waste money on extensions, do like you said, it will work fine, and save you $50!
I did buy several colors of wire, to make it a little easier though.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:12 PM
frankiefire702
Road Master

If you want the shoulder height the 12.5 will come up short. I have the 12.5 and I'm 6'1". They are below my shoulders. Go 14" if I were you.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Got the 12.5s on mine. At 6ft with them as far forward as they will go they are still a little below my shoulders. Good thing with the 12.5s is I didn't have to extend any wires. Just rerouted the fairing side of the harness down each side of the radio and plugged in underneath. TBW was long enough to stay with original routing.

Attached Thumbnails Wild 1's on my 12 Street Glide????-013.jpg  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
tat2fatboy
Advanced

Duraglide, that bike is sexy

Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member

thanks for the replys. This all helps.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:01 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member

Need more replies.. Please

Old 02-04-2012, 11:26 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member

Quick Reply: Wild 1's on my 12 Street Glide????