Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROAD TRIP!!! Packing Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM
TheSinistral
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROAD TRIP!!! Packing Advice?

I am gearing up for Sturgis and I need some advice on packing my crap (tent, sleeping bag, clothes, etc) as rain-proof and comfortable as possible without scratching the saddlebags.

I do not have a Tour Pack, just a tall HD passenger backrest, so I have considered this:

Buy the clear saddlebag protector film and the large leather duffle from Dr. Itch and just strap that down, along with the tent and sleeping bag. The protector should keep the duffle from rubbing the saddlebag covers.

Any better ideas, such as purpose built luggage? What about the leather saddlebag covers? Seems like I have seen those on "Crap I hate.." lists so I am wary...

Any ideas appreciated...

Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

This is what my bike looks like packed for a 2 week trip. If you are solo, fill the saddlebags first with the heavy stuff. Anything on the seat should be laid down lengthwise, NOT across the seat. This keeps your bags safe, and also allows you to get into them. A rack helps for the tent.

Go to WallyWorld and buy vacuum storage bags (Space Bags) They will keep your stuff dry.

This is a surprisingly well made bag and not a lot of money http://www.motorcycleleather.biz/sto...&productId=327 Again, lay it down on the seat lengthwise. More aerodynamic that way, and lower center of gravity.

Remember, laundromats are your friend. So don't get nuts packing clothes. And you will be buying T-shirts at the rally. And don't forget LEATHERS. Just in case.

One last thought.....keep your sleeping bag on the bike when you are not sleeping in it. If you ever get caught in a Black Hills hail storm, you will understand why. And you will be wanting to buy me a beer for that advice if you get caught in hail, in the middle of nowhere.

Not my video, but........My softail was parked just across the street, on the other side of the building, (second half of the video) from this in 2010.

HAIL SUCKS..... AND REALLY, REALLY HURTS I was on my bike, laying over the tank trying to protect it. I was parked in the second row to the left of the station wagon. You can almost see me flinching

http://youtu.be/zMCuZ6H94l0

The aftermath

http://youtu.be/kPDO-uiVawE

Last edited by shooter5074; 02-01-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always pack old clothes on long road trips and just throw them away after wearing. That way you don't have to worry about laundry and you make room for the crap that you buy.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:57 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

There is nothing wrong with using UPS to send yourself a box of the stuff you'll want there--- and send it back home when you are done.

I have Pals who do that

some stuff will fit in your saddlebags, i use a thermarest pad which fits right on top in the saddlebag- they make different models, I lucked out and found that I already had one that would fit.

My little 1 man tent I was also able to get inside the saddlebag, just not the poles, which I stashed elsewhere.

I have the large T bag with is great.

sleeping bag makes for a good back support.

practice the pack a few times

keep leathers etc. where you can get at them with out a complete repack

lots of trashbags for water proofness

take off the saddlebags and weigh them so that you have evenly distributed pack, so you don't fight a lean the whole way there-

I just go over the pack, over and over and find there are things I want every day, and stuff I have "just in case" like something to eat if I get somewhere and the restaurants are closed ( like Mexican Hat after 8 pm)

Rapid City SD has a big ol' walmart and sams club if you forget anything, or if there are consumable items you don't need to carry.

water, set your self up so you have plenty of water in the saddle- I try to drink a liter an hour on the road, and gatorade at every fuel stop in the desert, less in nice places. but the wind really wicks the moisture out of you. Wearing a jacket reduces this- I found the HD 3 in 1 is really really good and allows me to adjust for weather hot/cool, dry/moist
So, water bottles where you can get to them like the crash bar bags

Think about closing out your riding day by 5pm, that gives you time to set up, get clean eat etc.
in the evenings you'll hear bikes going from motel to motel or cruising campgrounds looking for a vacancy.

if you have a HOG membership, it comes with free basic road service through Road America- call and get the $20 upgrade for unlimited towing to the nearest dealer- which i used twice on my trip in 2010 ( 2 blow outs) the tows would have cost me $160 and $240 out of pocket.

If riding with Pal's put together a comprehensive tool/fix kit to share.

If travelling light the ipod Touch makes for dandy internet browsing and email, free wifi at mcdonalds, starbucks, KOA and other locations- my ipod touch has a .pdf of the 2009 service manual on it.

your may want to stick 4 rubber furniture feets on the bottoms of you saddlebags so you don't have to look for a soft place to set them down if you take them off.
If you worry about having the pins rattle out, replace 1 or both with speed nuts and wing bolts, ace hardware $9

and it you are riding through Lusk, WY Northbound on 85, stop for gas and fill up.

also consider installing a detachable mounting kit and seeing if you have a Pal who can lend you a tour pak for the trip ( I see cheap tourpaks on the classifieds here on the forum from time to time ( but that's just me, I like having the tourpak)

WATCH your stuff at fuel stops, I ran into a rider who had all his gear taken at his first gas stop ( flagstaff), while he was inside

Mike

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-01-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For long trips I use the Harley Premium Touring Luggage, though they have changed them since I bought mine in 2009.
Mine has a rain hood that rolls out from the bottom but even in being in the rain all day my stuff has stayed dry. For a week long trip I have about 1/3-1/4 of the bag left open that gets loaned out. I also just have it hooked to my sissy bar so it is sitting on my passenger seat and I get a back rest.
To maximize space roll all your clothing, I actually roll a Shirt, socks and underwear together so I just grab one roll and have clothes out. My right saddlebag fits my chaps and coat and my left one is just open for putting my helmet or misc stuff in. The biggest thing is not over packing which takes practice.
Never been camping on my motorcycle so I don't have much input for packing camping stuff.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:41 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

One of things I mount to my bike for trips is the Harley Passenger Grab Rail 97026-09 you can strap items to the seat easily with it and it over hangs over the saddlebags to keep things off of it.

BTW it come off with two nuts and thats it, well you have to remove the seat to take it off.

Last edited by EricD10563; 02-01-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

Here's my old Road King packed for 10 days of Sturgis. The large T-Bag holds a huge amount of stuff and has a snap on cover over the top to strap stuff to it. The smaller T-Bag on the passenger seat held sleeping bag and pillow along with some other stuff. Tent strapped to the top of the small T-Bag. Tools, air mattress, pump, shoes, etc went in the saddle bags. I could get everything packed up in about 5 minutes and the bike rode just fun like this.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:12 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer

Thanks for the replies, all! Some really good ideas....

That's a good idea to mail the tent to myself but how do you mail something to Sturgis without a street address? Can you simply ask that it be held at the post office, or what, exactly?

Thanks again,

Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSinistral
Thanks for the replies, all! Some really good ideas....

That's a good idea to mail the tent to myself but how do you mail something to Sturgis without a street address? Can you simply ask that it be held at the post office, or what, exactly?

Thanks again,

UPS to the local office as a "will call"..................... or just buy a cheap tent in Rapid City, and leave it at the campground when you come home. A lot of people do that, and some of the campgrounds donate the ones that aren't trashed to the Boy/Girl Scouts.

A tent actually won't take up that much room on the bike. Look at the back of my bike in my previous post. That's an 8x8 dome tent. We always stay in Rapid City in a cabin... the tent is just in case we can't find a motel on the way out or back.

Best advice. Don't over think this. Your best item to pack is your credit card.

Last edited by shooter5074; 02-01-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer

Originally Posted by shooter5074

Best advice. Don't over think this. Your best item to pack is your credit card.
A helluva good point! I owe you a beer.

Quick Reply: ROAD TRIP!!! Packing Advice?