Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner seat vs. Road King stock seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:59 PM
dldave1978
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sundowner seat vs. Road King stock seat

Before having to go to work this afternoon, I spent some time installing new “Heritage Style” bars on my 2011 Road King. Took me about 2 hours – that service manual is sure handy!

Along with my handlebar purchase, I bought a Sundowner seat: my dad has a ’99 Electra Glide and I like the way his stock seat has a lot of lower back support. It is a really comfy seat. I bought the Sundowner hoping to replicate that back support. I only had about 15 minutes after installing the handle bars, reinstalling Unique Cycle Speakers, and putting the seat on to take the bike for a quick spin before having to get ready for work. I am not noticing much difference between the Sundowner and my stock seat.

What do you all think? Do I just need some break in time? Has any else switched from Road King stock to Sundowner? Is there that much of a difference?

I know there are a lot more expensive seats out there to choose from but I was hoping to save some $$$.

The bars are great by the way.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:03 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

The back rest is by far the best investment I have made. Still using the stock seat on my 11 RKC but was thinking about getting the Sundowner at some point, but maybe not.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Congrats on the upgrades, I went Heritage bars and Sundowner seat on my '11 FLHRC and noticed very little difference on the seat up front. The big difference in on the rear, very obvious when put side by side. Overall, I still like it.
As for the bars, feel free to loosen and lean them back or whatever after a few rides for your comfort, as long as they don't touch the tank lock to lock. Last, I twisted the controls on the bars to my liking, getting the brake fluid reservoir a little more level, then match up the other side.
Ride Safe.
BTW - I went with the adjustable back rest, $ well spent...

Old 01-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've tried various HD seats in the past. The problem I've found with most all of them is the seat pan is not strong enough to support around the edge's. That's why I switched to a Mustang. JMO

Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Dave, just like PoohBah mentioned, feel free to move the Heritage Styler's back and forth till you get them perfect. I have the same bars and have moved them several times, each time they get better and better, just a stellar choice IMHO. Recently at the end of last riding season I put on a HD Sidekick seat for around town looks, (can't be comfy, look at the thing), and have to roll the bars way, way back because I now feel I'm riding on the rear brake light haha. Anyway, if you roll them back watch the clutch cable because it puts a ton of slack on it now. Comes deadly close to the front fender!!!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dldave1978
Has any else switched from Road King stock to Sundowner? Is there that much of a difference?
I replaced the stock seat on my RKC with a Sundowner seat several months ago. I've had the Mustang Wide Touring and Harley Hammock seats on my bike, and I can tell you that for me the Sundowner is the most comfortable of them all. You won't notice a difference in seat comfort until you ride for several hours. THe RKC stock seat was OK, but after a few hours it was a butt burner. The Sundowner seat really shines on long trips. Another plus to the Sundowner seat is that the passenger seat flairs out just enough to stop my saddle bag lid from hitting the 4-point docking hardware!

DJK

Last edited by djkolp; 02-01-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,087 Likes on 3,646 Posts

To me the road king seat always felt better than the Electra Glide seat..feels like a SUndowner.... With that said, the backrest would be a better addition if you want back support... the passenger part of the sundowner is really the benefit part like others have said.... I just installed a Sundowner on my Electra Glide and WOW! i had a Mustang tour and this is much better...i had to use a sheepskin on the Mustang but not on the Sundowner...

Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made the change from the stock road king seat to the Sundowner and like it much better. it sits me lower and is deeper. I tried to like the stock RK seat but it is going to stay on the shelf until I decide to get a different bike. I too have the heritage style bars and like them. I also use a stock 2011 street glide seat when I want a sleeker look to the bike and I like that even more than the Sundowner.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 AM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Switched from stock to Sundowner only for my wife's comfort. Both are equally comfortable for me though I slightly prefer the stock seat's looks.