Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scallop or Feathering rear tire...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 AM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alame
I would recheck the tire balance, if your continually running the correct tire pressure what else is there left if it ain't the road surface
I got a 10000 mile coming up, I may see if they will check the balance.
Thanks

Old 02-01-2012, 11:27 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 12limited
You said your first 407 did feather also...What about the tire you are running now? Did you change brands or go back with the HD 407?
I noticed the Dunlop website recommends the 407-408 and another tire. The American Elite. They are considerably cheaper than the dealers 407 HD branded tire and has all the same specs...height, width, tread depth, load carrying capacity. Anybody tried one of these. I am attracted to the $100 less cost. It is not that I cannot afford the HD branded tire offered by the dealer...just why pay extra for that HD on the sidewall.

Thanks for the reply.
I put the American Elite on. I don't have enough miles yet to know if it's any better than the 407 with the "feathering" effect.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM
BADBREW
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the American Elite on since last spring. About 9k on it now. Noticed last time out starting to get a slight rumble noise when leaning. The 408/407 I had on sounded like I had run off the road on the rumble strips when leaning at 9k. The American Elite tread life is better than the stock tire, and seems to handle better.I don't know anyone that has not had premature cupping with Dunlops on a HD Touring bike. I'm no expert could be air pressure, doubt it, but MAYBE IT'S THE TIRE.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM
12limited
Tourer

Originally Posted by BADBREW
I've had the American Elite on since last spring. About 9k on it now. Noticed last time out starting to get a slight rumble noise when leaning. The 408/407 I had on sounded like I had run off the road on the rumble strips when leaning at 9k. The American Elite tread life is better than the stock tire, and seems to handle better.I don't know anyone that has not had premature cupping with Dunlops on a HD Touring bike. I'm no expert could be air pressure, doubt it, but MAYBE IT'S THE TIRE.
Glad to hear you are having good luck with the American Elite...
I have a buddy with a 09 street glide...the front tire started feathering and the dealer replaced it at about 8000 miles. he still has the original back tire with 16K on it. I have not seen it in a while..but it has to be pretty worn with that mileage on it.

I hope it is the tire in my case...I may try to get them to replace it with a black wall. That be really good...
I hate the looks of them thin white wall tires anyway... If you gonna go white wall...go wide white wall...but not on my bike.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My OEM Dunlop was scalloped bad and howling at 17K miles. Took this pic to illustrate the issue. Other than the "howling", my concern was that the scallop affect meant that there might be more "moments" when there is no (or less) rubber on the road. It was down to 3/32 anyway so I swapped to the American Elite.. About 6k on the Elite so far and no issues. I run 40 - 40 psi on the tires and 45 -50 in the rear shocks. I'm 250lbs and ride mostly 1-up.

Pretty easy to check even if you can't really see it... just run your hand backwards against the rotation of the tire and you'll feel it if it's cupped.

Last edited by Clint55; 02-01-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:40 PM
12limited
Tourer

Mine is not that bad yet...
LEt me know how the American Elite works out for you.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I was about to say I run mine at 42psi and have no problem, then went to the garage and checked. lol

Mine looks like Clints photo with just under 12000 miles.

Watching this thread now.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser

Ok, I'm on my third tire from Harley because of this crap! You can stand behind the bike, and see the dirt on the tread where it is hitting the ground, and on the side walls as you say are clean! No dirt. I don't mean mud, just where it hits the ground when riding the bike. On my first tire, stock, off the show room floor (2010 EGC) that tire went to hell early, like 5000 miles. I didn't say much to the dealer.....YET...Then it started roaring and maken noise..(at the time I didn't know it was the tire) People riding beside me could hear it too. The wife on the back started getting where she would notice it. I never told her about my thoughts on the noise. One, she wouldn't know what I was talking about, and two, she'd be on my *** to raise hell about it. At 13,000 miles I could not stand it. I'm not one to complain allot, but I went to the dealer when I saw the tire with the funky pattern where it was hitting the ground and the dirt from the road getting worse and the VERY loud noise it was making. I did some reading on the subject so I had an idea of what may be happening. Come to find out, Lots of bikes were having the problem for the last few years. (not sure how far back) He agreed but could not do anything. He said that so many tires were doing that, that they, all Harley Dealers had to stop replacing them because even people that didn't have the problem were coming in and getting new tires. Well, I called H-D in Milwaukee...Home office..Told customer service what was happening and I wanted a new tire. It was and still is under warranty. They him hawed around, asked me 40 questions, then gave me a reference number. i took it back to the dealer, and he replaced it that day. No problem... 5000 mile later, the same thing. I didn't wait this time. Told him , look...The same thing is happening. I said I know what to do, call home office bla bla bla...He said, NOPE, you don't have to do that anymore. They have the ok to replace it again without all the hassel. GREAT! Same tire again I asked??? He said, yes, that was all he could do. Well, I'm still under warranty, and I am not forking out more money if I don't have to, so replace it. He did...Guess what? Piece of chit is happening again. It's winter, and before May 8th,(warranty is out) I will be back one more time. I'll get another summer of riding before I have to buy my own. Front tire is/was cool. I put an E3 on at 20,000 miles. I like it alot. I will put one on the rear when it's my turn to buy it.. So if it looks like a kinda diamond pattern when hitting the ground, (you can see it where the dirt is on it) take it to them if it's under warranty. But you are right, you can rub you hand across it and WOW, it's really uneven. Cupping may be what it's called, but I call it crap! Go get you another one and another one till warranty is out, then get away from that Style of tire. I will for sure.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
12limited
Tourer

WOW... I may have to talk to the dealer about this.

You know I used to run the E3 on a metric touring bike...I got good mileage for a narrow tire (12000 max compaired to 5-7500 on Dunlop 404 )they always...ALWAYS would feather on the side of the tread...the part that never touches the ground unless you are really in a curve.
I got to where I would change them early when they strated making a noise when you get the bike off center. I thought it was the design of the tire. I always wanted to try the AVons cobra or Venoms but others that rode the same metric touring bike was having problems with small hair line cracks appearing on the sidewalls around 3000 miles. I thought it was an old tire (early date code) but I saw some that were only a few month old doing this. Avon has supposed to fix this issue...not sure.

I hope the E3 works for you. IT really improved the handling on my old metric bike...totally like a different bike.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 12limited
WOW... I may have to talk to the dealer about this.

You know I used to run the E3 on a metric touring bike...I got good mileage for a narrow tire (12000 max compaired to 5-7500 on Dunlop 404 )they always...ALWAYS would feather on the side of the tread...the part that never touches the ground unless you are really in a curve.
I got to where I would change them early when they strated making a noise when you get the bike off center. I thought it was the design of the tire. I always wanted to try the AVons cobra or Venoms but others that rode the same metric touring bike was having problems with small hair line cracks appearing on the sidewalls around 3000 miles. I thought it was an old tire (early date code) but I saw some that were only a few month old doing this. Avon has supposed to fix this issue...not sure.

I hope the E3 works for you. IT really improved the handling on my old metric bike...totally like a different bike.
Yeah, don't just give in. I don't suggest going in there raisen mortal hell, just be cool and talk to them. Especially if it's the dealer you bought the bike from. I was honest, and didn't let on I knew that there was a problem with other bikes. I did tell him it was to the point in the roaring and kinda jerking around when going into corners tho. And it was! The wife finally told me she would not get on it anymore till I did something about it. She make the payments, so I did. Hell, All I am doing is driving Miss Daisy really. She pays for it, and the trips we go on..LMAO...Who cares!!!!!!! I get to drive!!!

Quick Reply: scallop or Feathering rear tire...