Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:57 AM
TW
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had a few with the old frame, but I prefer the new frame that my current RK has.

I also prefer the 6-speed, as this is my travelling bike.

Attached Thumbnails Harley Road King-2009-flhr-21.jpg  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got an 05 RK that I bought new. It's paid for & I've got too much invested to buy new. Never rode new frame bikes so I can't say.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 AM
StumpyJr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Frame

Went from an 03 FLHRKC 28,000 to a 2010 SG now with almost 20,000....IMHO...big difference in handling. I Like the 96' with a few tweaks, ( PCV, V&H'S power duels, full flow air, and dynoed). For some reason I wanted to go faster with age.....and I certainly am now!

"Speed safely"

Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by CoreyMoCo1
I agree with KCFLHRC. Have to go with new touring frame.
Another vote for the better handling that comes with the '09+ frame.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:06 AM
tigerapple
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King

Great to see all the replies. Thanks everyone!

Spoke to some owners of the RK and one very experienced mechanic. He does not think the new frame is going to make much of a difference to my kind of riding. Seems like the concern from him n some owners is the reliability and ease of maintenance of the late models compared to the early models. EFI engine vs carb model...new throttle....etc. There is a good chance that the 97 engine can be rebuilt to higher hp, new carbs...etc. I think what im really keen about is the opportunity to build something to what i like. On the 2010 model, im going to be parting with lots of cash on the bike n more to customize it to what I love. Based on a early calculations, rebuilding the engine, carbs, tank design, wheels..etc. on the 97 will still cheaper than the 2010 model.

Im leaning more to the 97 as i get to build something special. On the 2010, im going to be limited on that. Im going to do abit more homework and i do appreciate everyone's inputs. Cheers!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 AM
fzggm4
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Harley Road King

I traded my 08 Ultra for an 11 Road King. I personally can tell the difference between the frames. I ride a lot of 2 up and the new bike seems to be a lot more stable and tight around curves.
So what is the color of the newer bike you don't like?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for the 2010. You are going to make it yours anyway, so paint is an option. The new frame is worth it to me (and many others if you decide to sell later). They have the CAT in the header, so if the exhaust already isn't updated, I would look at getting a new header for it.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 AM
HeHateMe
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have two softails and a Roadking. I love my Softails, at one point in time I had 3! But damn the Roadking is just too damn comfortable!!! I have absolutely no fatigue once I get off of it. It certainly is my favorite bike of the bunch, but no way in hell I would part with my softails. Good luck to you, and you should go for the '09 and later model.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Al.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 RKC. Love it, last of the Evo's.
Not as much new electronic stuff to break down.
Easy to work on.
May have to check all your rubber parts like brake lines, tires, fuel lines etc for break down or rot esp if it's been kept outside.

I bought mine last year,it was garage kept and in like new condition.
Rebuilt the rear master cylinder will do the front because of the age and replace the brake lines.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
OK here's the deal:

1. The '97 will have the best resale value, in terms of being able to sell it for close to what you paid. I'm assuming you can get it around the 6-7 grand mark (what they're going for around here) and 5 years from now, assuming you maintain it, should not be worth much less. It will also be a PITA to source parts, and many accessories sold today won't fit it. Prolly have the best motor in terms of longevity.

2. The '010 has the new frame,IMHO not worth the hubbub unless you're a canyon carver at speed. Normal riding,you won't notice the difference. It also has the TBW, which I would ABSOLUTELY NOT own--way too unpredictable, and the lag is annoying as hell. Hard to clutch away from a stop as throttle input "feel" is gone, and easy to stall out. I want my hand connected to my EFI with a cable, not a digital signal. Not to mention the heat issue. '010 is the best looking & smoothest riding (because of the TBW & IDS) out of the 3, IMHO, but will have the worst resale in terms of the "hit" you will take compared to what you pay for it.

3. I would go for the '03. Prolly get it for around 9grand,I guess, keep it for a few years & take a 1 or 2 grand hit. Plus it will be easy to get parts, has throttle cables, and the 100th paint looks great.! ESPECIALLY if it's gunmetal.
I havent felt any of the ailments your describing on the TBW. No lag, unpredictability or feather etc

Quick Reply: Harley Road King