Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new law

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 AM
nickel dime
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new law

I just heard on the radio that Virginia is trying to make it legal to ride 2 abreast in the same lane. While I'm all for looking at breasts, riding bikes side by side doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. I think I'll stick with riding in a staggered pattern.

It is a good thing that they are thinking of loosening a traffic law rather than tightening one.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

IMO the width of the lane (and shoulder) and who I'm riding with has a lot to do with how I feel about it. Lots of the roads I ride on are narrow with no shoulder, I wouldn't ride side by side on them even if I was the guy next to me.
I see pictures posted from California in the posts about lane splitting. The lanes there look a lot wider (at least 50%) than where I ride.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:38 AM
clbking
Cruiser

Now if more states legalize lane splitting that would be great.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:40 AM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Had no idea it wasn't legal there. Surprised we didn't get pulled over, then.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:40 AM
huddle
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The proposed law is to allow 2 bikes to be side by side while waiting at traffic stop lights, stop signs or while waiting in backed up traffic. The reason for this proposed change is that there is a small town named Crewe in VA that is writting ticket for any bikeers that do any the above. This law would not allow you to ride side by side on the Highway.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 AM
nickel dime
Cruiser

Originally Posted by huddle
The proposed law is to allow 2 bikes to be side by side while waiting at traffic stop lights, stop signs or while waiting in backed up traffic. The reason for this proposed change is that there is a small town named Crewe in VA that is writting ticket for any bikeers that do any the above. This law would not allow you to ride side by side on the Highway.
That makes more since. Virginia tries to legislate everything you do in life.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I grew up in SoCal and have witnessed lane splitting. It was at least once a week that you'd see a rider down on the local news. The way these guys ride is nuts. And dont even start with its the cages fault. When you are riding between cars in traffic traveling 20-30 miles an hour faster than the flow, its "YOUR" fault when someone doesnt see you and changes lanes in front of you. As far as sharing a lane side by side, thats stupid as well. If you need to take evasive action for whatever reason...doesnt even have to be a stupid cager, can be something blowing onto the roadway etc...you've got nowhere to go when you have someone beside you. So lets here it from all the "I have excellent riding skills" guys who can split lanes safely haha. Its just stupid to put yourself in a position to have an accident that you can blame on the cager. Truth of the matter is that if you werent lane splitting, there wouldnt have been an accident. Just sayin

Old 01-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Eric Moore
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I do it all the time.... L.E.O.s do it to...I wont do it with a unsure or new rider.. it takes trust.. I dont split lanes though

Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

The day is coming where everything we do down to the air we breath is going to be legislated...We may not be alive when it happens but it will the writting is on the wall.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep, Fairfax Motorcycle Police do it all the time. Even when turning of one street onto another. They look like they are in a Police motorcycle competition. But I would love it if they would relax the lane splitting for when traffic is traveling below a set speed like 15mph. Really sucks when you get stuck in stop and go traffic. In Germany I was pulled out of the traffic by two motorcycle police during a stau (traffic jam in Germany). They pulled the bikes out and we followed them to the next exit.

Quick Reply: Possible new law