Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new law

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Riding two abreast is cool, you get used to it. You just have to pay attention.

As far as lane sharing is concerned (it's not lane splitting), it's perfectly fine if you're following the guidelines and not being an asshat. There's so much traffic here in CA that if we couldn't lane share I'm not sure I'd ride half as much.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While listening to the Fox (106.9) this morning, they said the bill passed the House and is going to the Senate...

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/01/hous...e-2-abreast-va

Last edited by Olde Skool; 01-31-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 AM
DocO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in VA and have been riding two abreast and side by side at stop lights and stop signs for years and years. I've never had a problem with it. Even pulled up beside a motorcycle cop at a light before and we commented on each others bikes. Any locality that chooses to enforce a stupid law like that is retarded. Here's hoping this passes the other house and is signed into law!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

lane splitting, legal in Ca. under certain conditions.

If you know what you are doing it is great, however it's the rider's liability in case of a collision, and responsibility to know the regulations.

In general, lane splitting ( between lanes of traffic headed in the same direction) is permitted at no more than 10 MPH faster than the other traffic, and no faster than 35 MPH.

you get really good at watching stalled driver's heads and looking for front wheels turning- anticipating a lane change.

never had a spill or came close to one.

Ca. drivers are used to this, and many many drivers ( esp with bike stickers in the window) will give a little more room, and I've seen drivers pull their mirrors in as a courtesy.

This also allows bikes to work to the front at intersections.

Before the car pool lanes were put in on some of the major freeways, lane splitting really was a must

sharing the lane, rarely, only with a good riding Pal- more relaxing for both of us to stagger and have more room.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-31-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll stick to my staggerd pattern, but its good to know when we ride through

Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Lane splitting is pretty much accepted as standard in the UK. I see no problem with it and do it all the time but you do have to be at a heightened state of alert.

As MK states above, you do tend to look ahead and read the signals, for example if there is a gap opening up for drivers to change lanes. All I ask is that the drivers show their intention and drive according to that intention. Sadly that is not always the case but, fortunately for me, it always has been so..

I will say that I find driver lane discipline in the US shocking compared to the UK and EU, so when I am in the US I don't lane split. That said, I am always out there on hols and relaxed anyway so why bother

Old 01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I had no clue that this was illegal anywhere.
Try riding the "roller coaster road" (back road to the Weirs) during bike week in NH
at night! Two bikes abreast in each lane going both ways at night on a narrow winding road going 50-60 mph, with a bunch of drunken morons can pucker you up pretty good! I don't mean just a few bikes either.
I swear I missed a few mirrors by inches or less! I try to stay away from that road during bike week at night. Puckered up so good I couldn't **** for 2 days...LOL

Last edited by Ragtop; 01-31-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM
PWFD
Road Master

I've driven side by side of my riding buddies for years. If you know your rider and feel comfortable with them by your side I see no issues with it. I guess I didn't know this wasn't allowed in all 50 states. In all of them I've toured in I've always done it and never been pulled over. Guess I should check the local laws before traveling a bit better?

T

Old 01-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

I seen that on the Local news last night. Don't really have a opinion other then I don't know to many people that I trust enough to ride side by side with.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM
aidansdad
Cruiser

We (6 bikes) did a road trip to CBBT last year and made sure to stay staggered once we hit VA. However, we did lane share at lights and stops. Don't know how we'd have kept the group together if we stayed staggered at stops.

Quick Reply: Possible new law