Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, the perfect Road King Bars without going Ape'chit

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Sqr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
The perfect Road King Bars? ...well to me they are, my 3rd set of bars and I've finally found 'the ones' (purchased bike new in July 2011) stock bars had to go, tried the HD Heritage 'Style' bars, they were ok pulled back to the max (I like my bars parallel with the forks) and still able to use stock lines, but the wrist angle was awful, not all into the Ape hangers but on some bikes they look awesome.

I went with Santee 11" mini-apes (pictured) I did the entire install myself, internally wired controls, TBW throttle side was a little tight but got through ok,
went +6 with clutch cable and brake line, the entire job cost approx. $315
Santee Bars- $100 from J&P /Magnum Black Pearl clutch cable & brake line from DRVTWIN $200 / solder, heat shrink tubes, #18 primary wire $15 from Radio Shack.

This job was a challenge and at times intimidating but a great learning experience and I'm very happy with the height and comfort (perfect wrist angles),
and the 1¼" diameter of these bars give a much more beefy look that a Road King should have.

Santee 11" mini-apes
:
Drilled for Wiring
Diameter: 1-1/4″
Center Width: 10″
Height: 11″
Rise: 11″
Width: 33.75″
Pullback: 11″
Without Dimples

what is the part number of the bars?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 PM
JimmyBlack79
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job man, suits the bike well.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:29 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Like it! Nice looking King!

Old 05-01-2014, 08:54 AM
flewbyu
Advanced

Looks great. I believe I would like to have some slightly taller bars on my FLH. BTW, I'm catching that light shining on your work bench back there. Shine on Broher.

Last edited by flewbyu; 05-01-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Missouri Snowman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really like that springer in the back with the 18 apes....sweet scoot....Finally, the perfect Road King Bars without going Ape'chit-bike.jpg

Old 08-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

somebody asked me about my bars so I resurrected an old thread I started when I finally found ... "the Bar"

Old 05-15-2016, 09:35 PM
meat_ball
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
The perfect Road King Bars? ...well to me they are, my 3rd set of bars and I've finally found 'the ones' (purchased bike new in July 2011) stock bars had to go, tried the HD Heritage 'Style' bars, they were ok pulled back to the max (I like my bars parallel with the forks) and still able to use stock lines, but the wrist angle was awful, not all into the Ape hangers but on some bikes they look awesome.

I went with Santee 11" mini-apes (pictured) I did the entire install myself, internally wired controls, TBW throttle side was a little tight but got through ok,
went +6 with clutch cable and brake line, the entire job cost approx. $315
Santee Bars- $100 from J&P /Magnum Black Pearl clutch cable & brake line from DRVTWIN $200 / solder, heat shrink tubes, #18 primary wire $15 from Radio Shack.

This job was a challenge and at times intimidating but a great learning experience and I'm very happy with the height and comfort (perfect wrist angles),
and the 1¼" diameter of these bars give a much more beefy look that a Road King should have.

Santee 11" mini-apes
:
Drilled for Wiring
Diameter: 1-1/4″
Center Width: 10″
Height: 11″
Rise: 11″
Width: 33.75″
Pullback: 11″
Without Dimples
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but this one is exactly what I am after! Here is my thread asking for answers and while those good folks gave me things to ponder, your change in bars seems to be what I am looking for. I have some questions for you about your install if you wouldn't mind asking.

Do you happen to have a DIY on this or did you follow a tutorial online? I am looking specifically for the clutch and brake line extension. Are you replacing the entire clutch cable and brake line or is the "+6" just a 6" extension on them?

Also, are these the bars you installed?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:08 PM
Wolf4dk
Cruiser

Love the color!!!! Got a 09 with the root beer. And my apes are set nice for my size. Not too high, but not low either.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:21 AM
dplantz
Intermediate
Default Great post!

03 RK Classic all pretty much stock
Been thinking bout this for years, and I really like this look. Gonna keep this post for my reference guide. thanks again for the detail and pics

Old 05-16-2016, 11:11 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

GREAT post... im all to familiar with this issue... 2015 RK i think 5 bar attempts just put on what i hope will be the last pair saturday... Carlini 12" evil apes...so far so good.. but it started raining so i havent given them a proper test ride yet...really like the look though....ive had dirty birds that were comfortable just didnt like the look and they were a little wide...big johnsons, went with the harley cvo road king bar , bad wrist angle ,made my hand go numb, a set 2 weeks ago... too wide and not enough pull back... the good thid was i started to figure out how much pull back i wanted , the width and the wrist angle problem is you cant tell the wrist angle very well from pics .

Quick Reply: Finally, the perfect Road King Bars without going Ape'chit