Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, the perfect Road King Bars without going Ape'chit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:01 PM
08KING
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good looking scoot, GO BLACKHAWKS

Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,659 Likes on 2,537 Posts

I could never understand why people don't like stock RK bars--I'm on my 3rd King, stock bars on all of them, and found them very comfortable, and they looked good, too.

Yours look great, BTW!

Old 12-13-2013, 04:30 AM
WillyD
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me on mine (03 classic) if I want to try to sit up straight, my arms are extended almost completely out and within about 15 miles my left elbow starts to ache. I only have about 1000 miles on it since buying it back in October. If I want to get a bend in my elbow I have to lean forward and then that starts bothering my lower back. I like the look and the grip is fine with the stock bars but it's not very comfortable in the long run...

Old 12-13-2013, 09:04 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I switched out my stock RK bars with a set of Wild 1 513's. Very similar to the stock bars with the exception that it's internally wired and a thicker bar.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 AM
WillyD
Tourer

Originally Posted by austinslider
I switched out my stock RK bars with a set of Wild 1 513's. Very similar to the stock bars with the exception that it's internally wired and a thicker bar.

Dave....How do they compare on pullback versus the stockers? I seriously have been looking at those 513 as well...

Bill

Old 12-13-2013, 09:28 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,659 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Originally Posted by WillyD
For me on mine (03 classic) if I want to try to sit up straight, my arms are extended almost completely out and within about 15 miles my left elbow starts to ache. I only have about 1000 miles on it since buying it back in October. If I want to get a bend in my elbow I have to lean forward and then that starts bothering my lower back. I like the look and the grip is fine with the stock bars but it's not very comfortable in the long run...
It seems to me that since 2000, they changed the bars on RKs every few years; so yours may be different. Also, you can see from my sig pic that I run a very low profile Stripper seat, which puts me down into the bike more like a Softail, rather than perched on top of it. I kept this seat throughout all of my RKs, giving the new owners the stockers; that may have something to do with the bar comfort. Plus, the farthest I ever go is Daytona; about 130 miles, so that may be a factor, too.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:42 AM
WillyD
Tourer

Originally Posted by dickey
It seems to me that since 2000, they changed the bars on RKs every few years; so yours may be different. Also, you can see from my sig pic that I run a very low profile Stripper seat, which puts me down into the bike more like a Softail, rather than perched on top of it. I kept this seat throughout all of my RKs, giving the new owners the stockers; that may have something to do with the bar comfort. Plus, the farthest I ever go is Daytona; about 130 miles, so that may be a factor, too.
How do yours fit you for reach? I am 5'10" and definitely do not have short arms...I have wondered about different years and different bars and have even seen in HD catalog where they have bars that claim to shorten the reach versus stock...

Old 12-13-2013, 09:45 AM
WillyD
Tourer

Here is a pic of me on the bike a couple weeks ago...You can see my left arm is pretty extended and my back fairly straight here...If i could come back 3-4 inches it would be a nice fit...

Attached Thumbnails Finally, the perfect Road King Bars without going Ape'chit-riding-gear.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 10:19 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WillyD
Dave....How do they compare on pullback versus the stockers? I seriously have been looking at those 513 as well...

Bill
I think the pullback is about 2 inches more. The biggest difference BTW the bars though is the width. It's a little wider than the stockers. But it's really comfortable.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:53 AM
WillyD
Tourer

Thanks...Those are on my list to pick from...

Quick Reply: Finally, the perfect Road King Bars without going Ape'chit