Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No radio sound with engine running???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012 | 06:42 PM
Suedekustom
|
6th Gear
Default No radio sound with engine running???

I am beating my head against the wall here...I recently sent my HK to Iron Cross for repair and decided to add the Hogtunes big ultra kit with rear speaker pods and a set of Heat Demons while The cold weather is here. I have struggled with pinched wires on both the heat demons and volume - wires in the left controls. I thought I had it all figured out and went for a ride tonight...radio sounds awesome with just the key flipped on, when I hit the start button the radio loses power then comes back on. With the bike running I had no sound. Once home I took the fairing off and could not find any loose connections. Started the bike and same scenario except the radio does emmit sound with fairing off. It is a really tight fit on the fairing with the amp, xm,and overlay harness in there. Does anyone have any ideas on this one? Thanks

Old 01-30-2012 | 06:47 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

you'll just have to go over your work.

once the bike is started and the radio comes on, try turning it off then on again to see if that resets anything- I assume that power for your amps etc is on relays?

mike

Old 01-30-2012 | 07:35 PM
Suedekustom
|
6th Gear

Ok, I rerouted the wiring as best I could due to connectors, zip tied everything in as tight as possible and reinstalled fairing. It fits a little better now, but not as well as before all the add ons. Everything seems to be working...supposed to be nearly 50 again tomorrow so I'll take it for another ride and hope for the best. Radio still turns off while starting, I bought the bike new in 06 so I should know, but I guess I never paid much attention until I made all these changes.

Old 01-30-2012 | 09:26 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Funny the things you don't notice until there's a problem--the radio shutting off when the starter is engaged is normal.

It may take you a few times of relocating wires and reinstalling the fairing (making adjustments to the wire routing each time) until you get to the point where there is virtually zero interference when reinstalling the outer fairing--at least that was my experience--about 5 or so adjustments to the wiring when I'd have the outer fairing off. I found putting as much of the wiring/connectors along the sides of the radio worked well.

Carl