Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm in a fog.... anybody else running with cloudy lenses

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default I'm in a fog.... anybody else running with cloudy lenses

OK so why do the headlights and spots on Harleys get that cloudy haze? I asked this question to a bunch of vendors and dealers last year in Daytona. They all looked at me like I was crazy. Nobody knew anything about it.

So I can't be the only person. Is this an upstate NY thing that no one else gets? Should I call Erin Brockovich to find out what is in the air here??

Anybody else experiencing this? Anyone know the cause and cure? I have it on my ultra and fatty.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is it's because something inside the bulb evaporates when the lights are on and hot and when the light is off and cools, it condenses on the lens and makes it look foggy. A similar thing happens to cars and truck when new and all the chemicals evaporate out of the plastic and settle on the windows and makes them look foggy and smeary.

I found a way to clean my lights and maybe it will work for you too.

What I ended up doing was to remove the light housings, both the headlight and the two spot lights, and putting some isopropyl alcohol (IPA) inside the lens and then swishing it around until all the surfaces were rinsed. I then poured the IPA out and put in fresh and did it again.

After dumping the second rinse, I used my air compressor to gently blow air into the lens to dry the IPA. If you try to wipe it out, you'll probably leave fuzz inside or damage the finish on the reflector.

It took a couple minutes to get the inside dry and when it was, the inside of the lens was as clear as when new. After that, just put everything back together.

The IPA will evaporate cleanly and not leave any residue behind.

You could probably use something like a hair dryer if you don't have access to an air compressor.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gitarded
OK so why do the headlights and spots on Harleys get that cloudy haze? I asked this question to a bunch of vendors and dealers last year in Daytona. They all looked at me like I was crazy. Nobody knew anything about it.

So I can't be the only person. Is this an upstate NY thing that no one else gets? Should I call Erin Brockovich to find out what is in the air here??

Anybody else experiencing this? Anyone know the cause and cure? I have it on my ultra and fatty.
Yes, it is caused but the weather and the heat of the bulbs. Autos and Trucks go thru the same thing. I know, I see it most everyday. I am retired, but work at Wal-mart part time as a service writer to make a few bucks to gas the hog up and buy extras to go on it. You can buy the kits there, or they will do an auto for $39.88. Personally, I'd give it a try myself before I paid that much for the little passing lights on the bike. Never the less, it DOES happen, and mine are doing the same thing. (2010 EGC) I'll get one of the techs to slick mine up here before summer. Won't cost me a thing. They look just like new and will last just as long as the new cars originally do. The bike, well, mine is two years old in May and needs fixing... It's not just a NY thing.. I'm in north Ga..

Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks guys good to know I am not alone.

Morris... I thought you meant IPA beer. I would drive around with black headlites before I sacrafice a beer (smile), especially an IPA.

Fat Mike... any idea what is in the kit? Could it be alcohol?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Fogged driving lites standard issue for 10+ yrs. in all states and overseas.

Last edited by checkers; 01-30-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Morris9982
My guess is it's because something inside the bulb evaporates when the lights are on and hot and when the light is off and cools, it condenses on the lens and makes it look foggy. A similar thing happens to cars and truck when new and all the chemicals evaporate out of the plastic and settle on the windows and makes them look foggy and smeary.

I found a way to clean my lights and maybe it will work for you too.

What I ended up doing was to remove the light housings, both the headlight and the two spot lights, and putting some isopropyl alcohol (IPA) inside the lens and then swishing it around until all the surfaces were rinsed. I then poured the IPA out and put in fresh and did it again.

After dumping the second rinse, I used my air compressor to gently blow air into the lens to dry the IPA. If you try to wipe it out, you'll probably leave fuzz inside or damage the finish on the reflector.

It took a couple minutes to get the inside dry and when it was, the inside of the lens was as clear as when new. After that, just put everything back together.

The IPA will evaporate cleanly and not leave any residue behind.

You could probably use something like a hair dryer if you don't have access to an air compressor.

Hope this helps.
The process of the chemical "deal" is Ozone. Your "fix" is the best way to clean them and well stated.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:30 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fat Mike
Yes, it is caused but the weather and the heat of the bulbs. Autos and Trucks go thru the same thing. I know, I see it most everyday. I am retired, but work at Wal-mart part time as a service writer to make a few bucks to gas the hog up and buy extras to go on it. You can buy the kits there, or they will do an auto for $39.88. Personally, I'd give it a try myself before I paid that much for the little passing lights on the bike. Never the less, it DOES happen, and mine are doing the same thing. (2010 EGC) I'll get one of the techs to slick mine up here before summer. Won't cost me a thing. They look just like new and will last just as long as the new cars originally do. The bike, well, mine is two years old in May and needs fixing... It's not just a NY thing.. I'm in north Ga..
Fat Mike, what he is talking about is on the inside of the glass lense, I believe those kits fix the outside of the plastic/lexan type bezels.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 1986 FL I used a Harley sealed beam headlight and Wagner spot lights. Never had a problem because they were "Sealed".

I had installed a newer Harley headlight but replaced it with the sealed beam from a Heritage Softail.

My 2010 Ultra Classic spot lights are getting some fog inside. I might try your "Fix" soon.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser

Originally Posted by checkers
Fat Mike, what he is talking about is on the inside of the glass lense, I believe those kits fix the outside of the plastic/lexan type bezels.
ooooppssss..... I haven't investigated my bike closely, but that could be right. What I was talking about is on the outside. On the autos, the beams are sealed, and they can only be cleaned from the outside. Scratch my idea!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Topcop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Buddys EGC had that haze. I took the lights apart, cut a small piece of a soft cloth, poked it in the opening the bulb goes in and then took an old toothbrush and used the handle to wipe the haze off. Took just a few minutes and they "looked like new". This worked for us. Your mileage may vary. Happy Trails....

Quick Reply: I'm in a fog.... anybody else running with cloudy lenses