Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering head bearing service

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Steering head bearing service

Just a heads up. 13k on the RK now, and decided to do the maintenance while winter's here.

Bought the HD grease and started pumping 'til I could see grease squeezing out, and must have had to fill the neck from near empty. Apparently all they do at the factory is the bearings - they didn't pack the neck on mine anyway.

Would have done it before this, but it's not recommended (I believe) 'til the 10k mark.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Old news, Dude.
Ready yourself to forever be wiping greasy drool from your forks, etc. Because all of that unused grease will separate and bleed out of the steering head for quite some time to come.
HD really should put two grease-zerks, one at each bearing. They would only need an occasional pump of grease to satisfy those bearings.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

If, if ,if it starts running out just reach in there with a Q tip and clean it up. Down here in the heat mine hasn't run one bit.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Just a heads up. 13k on the RK now, and decided to do the maintenance while winter's here.

Bought the HD grease and started pumping 'til I could see grease squeezing out, and must have had to fill the neck from near empty. Apparently all they do at the factory is the bearings - they didn't pack the neck on mine anyway.

Would have done it before this, but it's not recommended (I believe) 'til the 10k mark.
You could have possibly saved yourself some time and cleaning up later if you had searched this forum. This has already been beat to death in several threads. The service manual maint schedule says to fill it full until grease runs out top and bottom at the 1K mile service. one of the reason's for the 1K mile service! they check your neck bearing adjustment and fill it full of grease. I did my own as I don't like HD's grease. I used a high temp wheel bearing grease. Haven't had any leak out in two years. It's an empty chamber between the top and bottom bearing requiring it to be pumped full to keep both top and bottom lubricated. If it's not full, over time the grease will move out of the bearings. Just doing a couple of pumps at the center fitting does nothing for the bearing's. Has to be pumped full!!

The following users liked this post:
Weeboy1 (12-24-2022)
Old 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
The service manual maint schedule says to fill it full until grease runs out top and bottom at the 1K mile service. one of the reason's for the 1K mile service!
Interesting. The 1k svc. was the only one I had done as it was part of the purchase agreement.

I've done everything since then and this is the reason why.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Interesting. The 1k svc. was the only one I had done as it was part of the purchase agreement.

I've done everything since then and this is the reason why.
Don't blame you there, that's one of the reason's I bought a service manual and started doing my own service. I know it's done right. Any question's you have can be answered here also. Great bunch of guy's on this forum.