Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Inner Fairing...Talk me into it

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:12 AM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painted Inner Fairing...Talk me into it

I entered the winter fully planning on painting the inner fairing and getting the LEDs switched to blue this winter. I think it's a huge impact mod and love the way it looks. The bike's been stored in a buddy's warehouse and I haven't gotten to it yet. If I don't jump in soon it's not gonna happen.

I'm not the most mechanical guy in the room but I can follow directions and it looks like the PDF I've found, as well as the step by step on the forum, should get me through it. My buddy is very mechanical so I expect to be able to get through it.

Any reason not to jump into the project?

If you've done it, what was the downside...worst part?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 AM
devious56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good idea

I just recently had mine done, and can't come up with any downside. For my money, it was the best thing I have done to my bike, for the amount of money spent.

I live in N.E. Florida and there is a guy here who will provide you with a painted inner fairing for $300.00, any stock Harley color, and $400.00 for the candy and an pearls. On top of that, he will deliver it to your house for you to look at, and if you don't like it, will drive off. If you do like it, he will then swap it, and do all the work, in maybe an hour and a half at the most. He doesn't need (want) any help, and brings everything he will need with him, and is very careful and meticulous.

On top of that is just a great guy to meet and deal with. If you are close, his name is Paul Barber and he can be reached at 904-626-1788, and can be found on Craig's List.

Good luck on your decision, and I don't think you wll be disappointed it you do it.

David

Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Blue Duck
Road Master

The only down side (if you can call it that) is time. I did not find it difficult at all. The only problem I had was I could not get the speedo and tach guages to fit flush so asked the question here and found out I needed the two rubber seals that were still in the old inner fairing. I used the step by step found on here and my service manual. I say go for it! Makes a big difference.

Duck.

Attached Thumbnails Painted Inner Fairing...Talk me into it-dscn1282.jpg   Painted Inner Fairing...Talk me into it-dscn1291.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 AM
knewt5
Road Master

WOW....wish I lived in FL!!!

I actually have one more question. I have the chrome trim rings around the gauges that were installed before I got the bike. Do they attach to the gauge face or to the inner fairing? Wondering how much of a pain in the *** they might be to remove if they are attached to the inner fairing

Old 01-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in the process of having HD do mine, Moco vs painter for me was matching the color and doing the install.. the scratch it the own it.... Worth the investment I think

Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Hope this helps!

There's nothing bad about adding an inner. On a colored bike, it's almost a must-have item. You'll never know just how incomplete the bike looks until you add it.

Install-wise, it's not super difficult, but does require some inclination to mechanics and tool-usage. I can't imagine you being unhappy with the end result.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 AM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best cosmo upgrade you can do for the money! The worst part is removing your igniton but there is a very helpful video floating around on these forums and on youtube. Dont wait a minute longer in my opinion!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM
devious56
Cruiser

I was worried about the chrome rings when I did mine, and it seems they are attached to the guage and not the fairing. They definately weren't a problem and stayed with the guages when swapped.

The installer told me the only problem he found was the big chrome piece around the radio and a hair drier would loosen the adhesive enough to be able to take it off.

Go for it.

David

Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 AM
JCCASH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy having my inner batwing painted:

Attached Thumbnails Painted Inner Fairing...Talk me into it-sg2011103b.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM
knewt5
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bushy
I am in the process of having HD do mine, Moco vs painter for me was matching the color and doing the install.. the scratch it the own it.... Worth the investment I think
How much is that costing you ?

Originally Posted by devious56
I was worried about the chrome rings when I did mine, and it seems they are attached to the guage and not the fairing. They definately weren't a problem and stayed with the guages when swapped.

The installer told me the only problem he found was the big chrome piece around the radio and a hair drier would loosen the adhesive enough to be able to take it off.

Go for it.

David

You had someone do it for you...what was the total cost?
Great info...Thanks!

Thanks for all the great pics...keep 'em comming, I'm gretting re-energized for the project!

Last edited by knewt5; 01-30-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Painted Inner Fairing...Talk me into it