Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King wind beat me up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my two cents, worth nowadays about a half a cent. I have battled the same issue. On my Heritage, had the fork wind deflectors, even though I hated the look. When I got the SG I went with a recurve shield from LRS as well as the deflector between the forks. It solved the issue totally. One other thing I will mention. If you wear a half helmet, as I do, try taking off the mini shield. It seemed to grab the wind and cause some buffeting as well. Good luck solving the issue. Whatever it takes to ride longer is ok in my book

Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed the baffle & the wind deflectors & it's like night & day. Attached are a couple of pics.

Clay

Attached Thumbnails Road King wind beat me up!-baffle-custom-.jpg   Road King wind beat me up!-wind-deflectors-custom-.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Fork baffle made a nice improvement for me. Didn't have any big wind issues myself but put it on just to try it and made a noticeable improvement.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM
harleybob815
Supporter
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

gotta flip my stinkin fork baffles around. hittin my crash bars! oh well only takes a few minutes. Love the results though!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went with the low profile, mostly because I don't like looking through the windshield. It takes the wind up and over. No issue with wind coming up from below.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Al.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandss
If you wear a half helmet, as I do, try taking off the mini shield. It seemed to grab the wind and cause some buffeting as well. Good luck solving the issue. Whatever it takes to ride longer is ok in my book
Thanks for the tip!

I have the small visor on my half helmet. Took it off yesterday, it made a noticeable difference.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I find buffeting threads interesting as we all have so many different experiences. At 6' and using the stock RK windshield and just the fork baffle which was stock (not the walrus tusks) I have a very calm air pocket with little to no buffeting. No extra stuff needed. Just lucky I guess.

Interesting though, I have a detachable bat wing, and that gives me much more buffeting. Comes up from under the wing and hits my chest. But it does keep my hands warmer and gives me tunes. But I prefer the stock windshield anyday.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the harley walrus tusk fork deflectors come on/off easy if you want to change the look? For instance, for 80% of my riding its short haul at 60mph and there is no buffeting so I don't need them. If I want to take off on a 800 mile ride over two days, they might be kind of nice.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 AM
gwvulcan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God forbid a biker deal with wind. What kind of pansies are riding nowadays!

If you don't want wind get a sports car (and not a convertible). But I guess that is why forums exist so the people can "air" their issues. I am to busy enjoying the ride to worry about the wind.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy, am I ever glad I have absolutely none of these listed challenges. I just jump on and ride but I got to keep eyes in the back of my helmet to watch all the crazy cagers zipping around and tailgating just out of view.

Quick Reply: Road King wind beat me up!