Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about head pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 PM
RAYCE_FLHP13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about head pipes?

So I'm in the market for some new exhaust. I've found lots of good deals on here but have a question... is there a difference between a gutted 2010 stock head pipe vs. An aftermarket head pipe? I'm not too worried about power gains but more about a truer/deeper Harley sound. More noise if I add some slip ins or a full stage 1 setup.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

an after market pipe may be somewhat better and probably cost 3 times as much, so that's your call.

For my $, I'd be putting along with a gutted H-D header.

some riders seem happy with the stock 2010+ muffler once the cat is gone.

true harley sound: one of these days I'll have to record my panhead- the noise from the valve train and the gear driven cam/idler/timing/generator is almost as loud as the pipes!

Mike

Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many prefer to swap the stock (cat) headpipes for after-market (non-cat) headpipes, so they can keep their stockers in case some new crazy emissions laws are enacted.

I personally swapped out the stock headers on my 2011 RGC for some True Duals for three reasons; (1) because I wanted take care of the heat issue, and (2) because I prefer the look of True Duals, and (3) because I like the enhanced sound that True Duals offer. You obviously have other after-market header options than True Duals, but the heat issue alone is a good reason to swap out the headers on newer HD's.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 PM
PGDredd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what year your stock stuff is, but I have my complete 2011 exhaust I'll sell you if you want the header.....no miles on any of it, it was all removed and replaced before I took the bike home from the dealer.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:42 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Just gutted my head pipe on my 11 RKC. Not for performance but the heat. There is a big improvement in sound with the stock mufflers just by doing this simple mod. Cost me $35 to have it welded and about $30 for new exhaust gaskets and muffler clamps.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Yeah gutting the Cat def increased the db a couple #s not excessively tho.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Yeah gutting the Cat def increased the db a couple #s not excessively tho.

Agreed, I think the sound is just about right. I'm not into loud so it's just about perfect.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 AM
yoyoman05
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Just gutted my head pipe on my 11 RKC. Not for performance but the heat. There is a big improvement in sound with the stock mufflers just by doing this simple mod. Cost me $35 to have it welded and about $30 for new exhaust gaskets and muffler clamps.
i have a 2011 sg with a stock head pipe.. i was thinking of gutting the cat..was it hard to do?..do i have to get it retuned afterwards.. ?. i already have a se stage one download on it with a set of se supertrapp slip ons

Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PGDredd
I don't know what year your stock stuff is, but I have my complete 2011 exhaust I'll sell you if you want the header.....no miles on any of it, it was all removed and replaced before I took the bike home from the dealer.
Excuse me for jumping into this thread, but I would like to know if your right side stock muffler that came off your SG has a cat. I recently went back from a 2into1 exhaust to a stock system off a 2011 SG. I gave my stock system to a friend. I didn't like the looks of the stock muffler's that came off my 2010 RK. I liked the tapered slightly slashdown look of the 2011 SG muffler's. I got them from a local Dealer. He said they had just sold a 2011 SG and the guy didn't want the stock system.

To answer the OP's question. I've been both route's with exhaust. If I were going to gid rid of the cat, I would spend the money and get a FuelMoto headpipe or Fulsac X-Pipe. There's been a lot of question's about Cross Talk between the 02 sensor's with the cat removed from the stock header. Plus you will gain maybe 5 HP with a tuned header. JMO

Old 01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
DXHD $100
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was in the same place trying to make a decision I had a Harley tech who runs his dealership's Nito drag Bike tell me that the after market head pipes are great but in all reality on a stock bike you are paying around $100 to $150 per Hp depending on what brand you buy; that sold me on gutting my Cat.

Quick Reply: Question about head pipes?