Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins 3-3 review

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 PM
pscyclepath
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ohlins 3-3 review

Put these shocks on about 1500 miles ago so I think i'm ready to review.
First off, Install was a breeze. No spacers needed, bolted right up.
Sag was pretty close so i decided to go with it during break-in.
They suggest 14 clicks out on sweep but i went 13 just to keep it weird
On the first ride I braced for the bump at the end of the driveway but it never happened. The bike went over smooth and controlled...
OK, So after bout 500 miles or so I did the zip tie method to dial them in.
Made sense to me cause you just wanna keep the bike weight neutral.
Also played around with the sweep adj. Anyway i got them dialed in real good and began making preload adjustments 1/2 turn at a time.
Long story short,these things are amazing. I don't understand how they can do this with so little travel.Rear wheel is always in contact with the road and acceleration is smooth no matter what the road surface.

OK so 2 up,
Dialed the shock in the same way with OL on the back. Tweak here, tweak there and they were good to go.
This is where these shocks really shine. Sudden big bumps are absorbed without trauma and the rest of the road feels like a billiard table.
So ya, the are worth every penny and i am not a rich man.I wouldn't trade them for 2 grand worth of chrome!.
Anyway, Thanks Howard for great shocks and a good orientation to the world of high performance shocks in general.really de-mystified the subject for me. Hope your healing well.
So next i'm gonna do something with these forks. The Ohlins really make the stockers look bad(cause they are).
I think that's gonna be fabric8ters mode(Intiminator with recommended s stack and single rate spring. It makes sense to me and at $300 I won't feel so bad if it don't work as well as i want. Bet it will though.
PM questions if you wish. will tell you how the front end comes out when i get time to do.
Ride safe...Ant

Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Another pair of 3-3s here. Had mine about 3 years now. An additional benefit my wife and I have found is that having a smoother and more comfortable ride means we can travel further each day and still feel fresh, but on extended tours we can also travel many more days without feeling tired. So the improvements go way beyond our expectations. We have not bottomed out once with ours, despite hitting some pretty awful bumps and holes.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:29 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pscyclepath
Put these shocks on about 1500 miles ago so I think i'm ready to review.
First off, Install was a breeze. No spacers needed, bolted right up.
Sag was pretty close so i decided to go with it during break-in.
They suggest 14 clicks out on sweep but i went 13 just to keep it weird
On the first ride I braced for the bump at the end of the driveway but it never happened. The bike went over smooth and controlled...
OK, So after bout 500 miles or so I did the zip tie method to dial them in.
Made sense to me cause you just wanna keep the bike weight neutral.
Also played around with the sweep adj. Anyway i got them dialed in real good and began making preload adjustments 1/2 turn at a time.
Long story short,these things are amazing. I don't understand how they can do this with so little travel.Rear wheel is always in contact with the road and acceleration is smooth no matter what the road surface.

OK so 2 up,
Dialed the shock in the same way with OL on the back. Tweak here, tweak there and they were good to go.
This is where these shocks really shine. Sudden big bumps are absorbed without trauma and the rest of the road feels like a billiard table.
So ya, the are worth every penny and i am not a rich man.I wouldn't trade them for 2 grand worth of chrome!.
Anyway, Thanks Howard for great shocks and a good orientation to the world of high performance shocks in general.really de-mystified the subject for me. Hope your healing well.
So next i'm gonna do something with these forks. The Ohlins really make the stockers look bad(cause they are).
I think that's gonna be fabric8ters mode(Intiminator with recommended s stack and single rate spring. It makes sense to me and at $300 I won't feel so bad if it don't work as well as i want. Bet it will though.
PM questions if you wish. will tell you how the front end comes out when i get time to do.
Ride safe...Ant
I have decided to go with the Ohlins as soon as my tax refund gets here! Looked at the Progresive 940 but did not like some of the reviews I read about them. For a few extra $$ I will buy the Ohlins once!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 PM
pscyclepath
Cruiser

One thing I now know for sure, You can't get really good suspension off a shelf.
Way to many variables. I know your gonna love these things. The more i ride on them the better they get. Enjoy, Ant
Guess i should mention 2010 s/g

Old 01-30-2012, 04:09 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior

Is there a discount provided to forum members on the Ohlin shocks?

Old 01-30-2012, 04:13 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRanger
There was when I bought mine.

masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I am saving my strip club money for a second set for the new Ultra, have the HD premium on there now from last Ultra, man there is no comparison at all Phlins all the way. You know if I am skipping out on the strip clubs for a few weeks they have to be good. I contemplated switching the set I have now from the Dyna but they are dialed in perfectly, I mean perfect, I will be disciplined for once and wait til I have the cash.

masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Give Howard a call

Originally Posted by TexasRanger

Old 01-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I am saving my strip club money for a second set for the new Ultra, I will be disciplined for once and wait til I have the cash.
If ur waiting until you make enough at the strip club for a set you'll prolly never get um.. JK

Old 01-30-2012, 04:34 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

love my #3's , best purchase I've done

Quick Reply: Ohlins 3-3 review