Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 sg rear fender assy on ultra ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:00 PM
My Fix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 sg rear fender assy on ultra ?

Does anyone know for sure if the 2012 sg fender , fascia , brake light assy , will swap out on a 2012 ultra limited . I have a new 2012 ultra limited and " HATE " the rear fender bumper and light assy ! Is it just a matter of swapping them out , or is there modifcations or what ? I'm thinking just a wireing harness ? Thanks for any " NOW FOR SURE "info .

Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM
OldFordTrk1
Cruiser
Default I'm not a big fan of the.bumpers either.

Spent about an hour today walking around the dealership looking at the exact same thing. That street glide rear end is sweet. I've been looking for some type alternative to the bumpers, front and rear. I've one found one but didn't like it either. I've even thought about replacing the rubber bumpers with an exotic wood. However I will need to find someone better than i at woodwork.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 AM
My Fix
Cruiser
Default Help Please !

I know some of you guys have done this or know about it . any input would be greatly appreciated !

Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am just now completing this exact mod on my buddy's new 2012 Road Glide Ultra.

Yep...it can be done, but it is expensive and time consuming! We have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $600.00+! You also have to drill 6 big assed holes in your rear fender...just a little nerve racking! LOL! I am waiting on the last component now which is a 2009 tri-light. I could not get the 2012 version to work because of a wiring harness mismatch issue. There is a lot to it...but off the top of my head you will need a paint matched fascia unit, 2009 tri-light asssembly, 2009 light bar (which will use the components from the 2012 light bar), 2009 tag light assembly, 2009 tail light lense, 2009-2012 tag bracket assembly and a bunch of nuts, bolts and misc brackets.

If you would like...I can post some pictures and a complete parts list when I get the tri-light this week and install it. Confident that will be the last part...but I just want to make sure.

It sure makes a HUGE difference...and looks killer!

PM me if you have additional questions.

Steve

Old 01-30-2012, 10:37 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Kuwait until May, but for those of you interested, I will be selling my 2010 SG rear fender/fascia with upgraded Tri Bar and Curved License Plate. So if you guys have some time to wait, I can hook you up.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 AM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJE8
I am just now completing this exact mod on my buddy's new 2012 Road Glide Ultra.

Yep...it can be done, but it is expensive and time consuming! We have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $600.00+! You also have to drill 6 big assed holes in your rear fender...just a little nerve racking! LOL! I am waiting on the last component now which is a 2009 tri-light. I could not get the 2012 version to work because of a wiring harness mismatch issue. There is a lot to it...but off the top of my head you will need a paint matched fascia unit, 2009 tri-light asssembly, 2009 light bar (which will use the components from the 2012 light bar), 2009 tag light assembly, 2009 tail light lense, 2009-2012 tag bracket assembly and a bunch of nuts, bolts and misc brackets.

If you would like...I can post some pictures and a complete parts list when I get the tri-light this week and install it. Confident that will be the last part...but I just want to make sure.

It sure makes a HUGE difference...and looks killer!

PM me if you have additional questions.

Steve
I to am very interested in this swap out. I almost did not buy my 12 limited due to all that stuff on the front and rear fenders.
Did you modify the road glide ultra's fender or replace it with the street glide fender? If I remember correctly the road glide has a lot cleaner rear fender that the Ultra classic or the Limited.
Why did you have to drill the big *** hole for?
We have to deal with the holes in the rear fender from that light that is mounted on the tip of the rear fender.
I was hoping someone could tell me if the ultra or limited rear fender could be replaced with the street glide fender. I see a lot of them on fleabay for sale and temped to grab one, most come with tail lights, turn signals and the side fascia with the bottom tri-light.

Thanks for jumping in and letting us know what you did.

Attached Thumbnails 2012 sg rear fender assy on ultra ?-dsc_0108-large-.jpg  

Last edited by 12limited; 01-30-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 AM
SCJE8
Club Member

Originally Posted by 12limited
I to am very interested in this swap out. I almost did not buy my 12 limited due to all that stuff on the front and rear fenders.
Did you modify the road glide ultra's fender or replace it with the street glide fender? If I remember correctly the road glide has a lot cleaner rear fender that the Ultra classic or the Limited.
Why did you have to drill the big *** hole for?
We have to deal with the holes in the rear fender from that light that is mounted on the tip of the rear fender.
I was hoping someone could tell me if the ultra or limited rear fender could be replaced with the street glide fender. I see a lot of them on fleabay for sale and temped to grab one, most come with tail lights, turn signals and the side fascia with the bottom tri-light.

Thanks for jumping in and letting us know what you did.
I used the existing Road Glide Ultra fender...the Ultras have a tail light, the Street Glide and Road Glide Custom do not. The owner does not mind the tail light assembly, per se...but when I installed his quick detach kit for the tour pack (which started all of this), he hated it because it was totally ***-ugly!

I am pretty sure a Street Glide fender will fit the Road Glide Ultra setup.

As far as the holes that needed to be drilled...the fascia unit is held on by a series of 2 stud (with 3 mounting points each) brackets on each side of the fender and the fender stabilizer bar that is mounted under the fender and attaches to the saddlebag mounts on both sides. The stud brackets require 3 holes each starting near the bottom of the fender and going up the fender about 10 inches, or so. That's the 6 holes I was talking about.

I hope this answered your questions...

Steve

Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 PM
jfarrar30
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were to use the complete set up off a street glide , fender and all what would need to be changed?

Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
blockzilla
Cruiser

just get the complete setup off of a street glide or road glide custom , and it'll bolt right on any 09 or newer touring bike including Road Kings , and you dont have to drill any extra holes , its a direct bolt on ..you might have to change the wiring plug on the new fender setup with the one off of your old setup depending on the model , but it is color coded the same and easy to swap out , (just remove pins from one and insert into the other ) I am about to remove the complete " stock" rear fender/fascia/lights etc.... from my brand new chrome yellow FLTRX (Road Glide custom), to put on a different setup , I am going to be selling the whole shooting match for $350.00 shipped in Cont USA.....(does not include the chrome license plate frame ) if someone on here is interested ... PM me

Last edited by blockzilla; 01-30-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 PM
SCJE8
Club Member

Originally Posted by blockzilla
just get the complete setup off of a street glide or road glide custom , and it'll bolt right on any 09 or newer touring bike including Road Kings , and you dont have to drill any extra holes , its a direct bolt on ..you might have to change the wiring plug on the new fender setup with the one off of your old setup depending on the model , but it is color coded the same and easy to swap out , (just remove pins from one and insert into the other ) I am about to remove the complete rear fender/fascia/lights etc from my brand new chrome yellow FLTRX (Road Glide custom) (shown here with my new tourpak), to put on a different setup , I am going to be selling the whole shooting match for $375.00 .(does not include the chrome license plate frame ) on EBAY BUY IT NOW unless someone on here is interested ... PM me
This is a hell of a deal for $375.00! For you guys wanting to do this modification...just get it painted! This kind of setup for this price does not come along every day!

Steve

Last edited by SCJE8; 01-30-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Additional Information...

Quick Reply: 2012 sg rear fender assy on ultra ?