Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog Discount?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:27 AM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hog Discount?

Hoping for some help with a question. Bought my RKC in June and love it. It was my first HD. Anyway with the purchase I was given 1 year membership in H.O.G. It seemed like a pretty good deal at first but I haven't found that many dealers that take it. The dealer I bought my ride from has H.O.G. rides but won't give the discount. My question is, is there any rhyme or reason as to which dealers give the discount and which ones don't? Last weekend A dealer in Ottawa, Il told me they give the discount only to the local chapter, and the shop was nearly empty at noon on Saturday. I told the manager that I would spend my money at "my local shop" and walked out. Does anyone else have a prob with this practice?

Old 12-14-2006, 12:31 AM
jmorton10
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hog Discount?

I just buy everything from one of the 20% discount online dealers.

~John

Old 12-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not too happy with H.O.G. Back in June I paid for a 3 year membership and they emailed me my member number and listed the items I would recieve in the mail. Well so far all I get is the magazine. Not even a membership card. I only bought it for the discount on my insurance.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you read your membership materials, you'll see that there is no such thing as a "HOG discount" as far as Milwaukee is concerned. Whether or not a discount is offered to HOG menbers is a decision made by each individual dealer. Most dealers offer 10% off to the members of their own chapter, but they don't have to. But having a national HOG card "entitles" you to absolutely nothing in the way of a discount. Technically, they're in the right. You're in the wrong to expect that it's the norm at any dealership. But somebody at one of those shops should have explained the situation to you instead of letting you walk out of the store unhappy.

Welcome to the wonderful world of H-D.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:40 AM
Max96
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Out here on the east coast, I was suprised that Mike Famous HD right over the Delaware memorial Bridge gives a discount on shirts and stuff like that with your HOG card. No discount on parts or bikes though...

Old 12-14-2006, 02:10 AM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's entirely up to the dealer to discount or not to. Most dealers limit theirs to their local HOG chapter but not required to. It's just good business. On of the key reasons HOG was started nationally, then internationally was to have a loyal fan base. Discounts are Public Relations. The better dealers offer discounts to MRO members, especially if a conference is being hosted closeby. On the Illinois note, Hall's didn't offer during the ABATE seminar. Many left their t-shirts, etc. on the counter and walked away. Menard's has $2 t-shirts if all you need is cloth.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:29 AM
rj164
Road Master

I found out that the discount is up to the local dealer, most only give it to there HOG members, some very few will give it to the national HOG members, just have to ask. if they say no, you can take your business somewhere else, I also look when the dealer is have a 15 to 29 % off sale, than it's for everyone.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:35 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

10% at my local dealer. Zanotti HD NO sales tax, 20% or better on parts, 35% on apparel...guess who gets my business!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:58 AM
LockNut
Cruiser

From what I understand, the folks behind the counter work on commission. So it is in their best interest not to give the discount. The fellow I deal with constantly lets me know what the 5% does to him.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:09 AM
two dogs
Cruiser

I just print off my shopping list from Zannoti and carry it to my local dealer, I let them know prior that I would like to keep my business in the hood but I didn't have to. Most times they match the discount on parts and clothes.

Quick Reply: Hog Discount?