Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made some sacrifices, but the bike stays!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 PM
updraft
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made some sacrifices, but the bike stays!

So we've had some changes at work lately, and while I haven't been 'downsized' like some, the changes aren't really to my liking so I've been stressing about possibly having to sell the bike in preparations for taking a pay cut and transferring jobs.

Well, it took selling off a whole bunch of other crap, and making preparations to sell the car and get into something cheaper if something has to happen, but I've managed to save the bike regardless of what happens. I was without a bike for about 10yrs, and have only had mine since April, so there was just no way I was parting with it. The GF isn't real happy, but hell, the bike's paid for, and I don't think I'll ever be done paying for the GF...haha (kinda).

So I'll state it here: Hi, my name is Steve, and I'm an addict!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Back in late 2005 I had a baby on the way, a new wife, not a lot of money and needed a second car. I thought I didn't need my clear title Harley ('03 Softail Standard) anymore because I wouldn't have time to ride it. Well, I traded it for a used SUV and by the next spring, every time I heard a Harley roar past my house, which is all the damn time, I was sick. I put up with the frustration and feeling of complete inadequacy for about a year until I could take it no more. In the spring of '07 we bought our present bike, an '07 Electra Glide FLHT. I even took a loan out to get it, which I always vowed I would never do just to get a bike. But I am glad I did, got it paid off 3 years early and the wife will go before the bike does. I plan on it being the last Harley I will every buy or own.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 AM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that. I recently had to move to follow the work. and sounds like I will do it again in the next year. Sometimes **** gets tough. I am glad my wife lets me feed my addiction. and she packs her stuff and follows where I go. Good thing cause she would probably ask for the Harley if we ever got a divorce.

My name is Tyler and I have a addiction, sad thing is it started early I'm 26. :-)

Old 01-29-2012, 12:45 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

my wife would go before my bike ever does..i dream of living off the bike anyway..

Old 01-29-2012, 03:24 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
my wife would go before my bike ever does..i dream of living off the bike anyway..
I like the way you think!

Old 01-29-2012, 04:52 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Hi I am Santa and I have an addiction also but mine didn't start until I was 60.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck I've been there that's why I always sacrifice in the beginning by paying cash for non essential items.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am NOT addicted. I'm in complete control of my....

Never mind.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 AM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. I sold mine of and did not ride for fifteen years. I would do the same thing you did. I would not let it go without a massive fight to keep it. Hope times get better for you.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 631 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeMeDo
Good luck I've been there that's why I always sacrifice in the beginning by paying cash for non essential items.
I think thats the point of the story. For some us this IS AN ESSENTIAL item. And I for one see nothing wrong with financing a dream. If some of you have cash for this kind of stuff, more power too you. As for me, I would have lost 20 precious years of riding had I waited to pay cash.

Quick Reply: Made some sacrifices, but the bike stays!