Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012 | 06:02 PM
qtrracer
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks

If you have read my posts in the past concerning ABS brakes on HD's you know I have been on the fence with ABS since my purchase of my ABS equipped '08 FLHX. Well today I got a big surprise while taking some canyon roads in my area. While entering a turn at admittedly higher than the posted speed I was still braking upon entry and I encountered some road irregularities that triggered my ABS to disengage so I didn't slow down like I had anticipated but that wasn't the surprise. The surprise was when the ABS let the brake re-engage at almost the apex and the front wheel crabbed........it was quite the shock. Don't post on how I caused the incident, or how I was going too fast. I have ridden many other non ABS bikes in the same canyons so I know what to expect. I now will be de-activating my ABS as soon as possible. I don't care how many other lives ABS has saved, it's is still too unpredictable on these bikes for me to trust it with my life. You guys do what you want, I'm out on this system, King, we were right!!!

Old 01-28-2012 | 06:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

They worked just like they should. It's you that needs to learn how to ride and use ABS in turns.

Old 01-28-2012 | 06:12 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer

Originally Posted by qtrracer
If you have read my posts in the past concerning ABS brakes on HD's you know I have been on the fence with ABS since my purchase of my ABS equipped '08 FLHX. Well today I got a big surprise while taking some canyon roads in my area. While entering a turn at admittedly higher than the posted speed I was still braking upon entry and I encountered some road irregularities that triggered my ABS to disengage so I didn't slow down like I had anticipated but that wasn't the surprise. The surprise was when the ABS let the brake re-engage at almost the apex and the front wheel crabbed........it was quite the shock. Don't post on how I caused the incident, or how I was going too fast. I have ridden many other non ABS bikes in the same canyons so I know what to expect. I now will be de-activating my ABS as soon as possible. I don't care how many other lives ABS has saved, it's is still too unpredictable on these bikes for me to trust it with my life. You guys do what you want, I'm out on this system, King, we were right!!!
I've never had the opportunity to "test" my ABS. I don't "plan" too but I'm sure I will one day.

I especially don't plan to test the ABS by entering turns at "higher than posted speed" while "braking" - to be clear, that's going too fast and braking while turning.

I especially won't do this while riding "in the same canyons so I know what to expect".......except for those "road irregularities".

This doesn't sound like much of a case against ABS, at least IMHO.

Old 01-28-2012 | 06:17 PM
qtrracer
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
They worked just like they should. It's you that needs to learn how to ride and use ABS in turns.
The system is for couch riders only, not aggressive riders. The fact that you responded this way tells me A. That you want ABS and B. don't push at all when riding. I love it when someone tells me I need to learn how to ride.

Old 01-28-2012 | 06:19 PM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't like anything that takes control away from the rider/ driver. ABS has only to lock up once to end a life. If you like it, cool, I don't.

Old 01-28-2012 | 06:22 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

I'm still on the fence with the ABS and I don't disagree with you at all. The only time I've ever felt my ABS is in situations similar to yours where road irregularities were the culprit and the bikes reaction, although not downright scary, did get my attention. Once the ABS actuates in situations like described, you and the bike become less in control and any decent rider could do better without the ABS. I've also considered disabling mine on a few occasions.

Now for the majority of riders, ABS is probably a nice feature for panic stopping in a staright line. But for the smaller population of riders with some racing or other high performance riding/driving experience there is no such thing as a panic stop. Brakes are never meant to be "mashed" as hard as you can under ANY circumstance and experience keeps many of us from ever doing so.

Old 01-28-2012 | 06:23 PM
TexasJR
Tourer

I think over the course of many miles, there are far more instances where the ABS might save your life, than instances like this that make it a little uncomfortable or shall we say, increase the pucker factor.

Old 01-28-2012 | 06:25 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

I can see the point, some other manufacturers allow the abs switched off for a track mode.

so maybe that's what we need a switch.

Mike

Old 01-28-2012 | 06:28 PM
qtrracer
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I can see the point, some other manufacturers allow the abs switched off for a track mode.

so maybe that's what we need a switch.

Mike
I agree with that assessment 100%

Old 01-28-2012 | 06:34 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with the OP but I still like having ABS for the 96% of the time, I agree with the OP that Harley's ABS kicks in to early and too long for 4% of the time or less for my riding style.

I disagree that the OP needs to learn how to ride and even more with riders who haven't tested how ABS feels when engaged and is waiting for an awh Sh$% moment to find out.

Quick Reply: This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks