Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012 | 12:26 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer

I've had those unwanted ABS activations going over bumps while slowing down, always just the rear, and it takes longer to stop than you planned. I hate those moments! Usually I just grab more front, which has never given me an iunwanted activation.

But I think you're missing the main point that shows the value of ABS: Although there are moments it activates when you don't want it to, you could always control those moments by riding safer in the first place. But ABS makes those dangerous moments YOU CANNOT CONTROL much, much safer. Which ultimately makes motorcycling much much safer. For example:

As in the OP, you're coming hot into a curve and encounter surface irregularities. ABS activated when you didn't want it to and you had a pucker moment. THIS IS SOMETHING YOU COULD HAVE CONTROLLED by entering the curve at a speed slow enough to anticpate traction challenges until you can clearly see the tarmac and identify there are no problems. If you come in too hot expecting no gravel or sand, then ABS is definitely a problem. But that's you're fault and it is something you could have controlled.

But when a deer jumps in front of you in straight line cruising, this is BEYOND YOUR CONTROL and ABS is a huge benefit.

Driver turns left right in front of you, this is BEYOND YOUR CONTROL and ABS is a huge benefit.

Driver pulls out in front of you, this is BEYOND YOUR CONROL and ABS is a huge benefit.

There was a time when I also wanted to deactivate my ABS, but after thinking it through, I'm glad I have it and would not want a bike without it. It makes the situations that are beyond your control much much safer.

Old 01-29-2012 | 12:32 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

In 1975 80% of the motorcycle fatalities were in the youngest age groups <29 by 2009 the older age group fatalitles exceeded the younger group.

To many guys that I know practice looking good than learning how to ride their ride and when you exceed their limit then they say you ride too fast.

"Meanwhile, if motorcycles have become less popular among young people in their 20s, the two demographic trends would explain why the share of motorcycle deaths represented by the 50+ age group is increasing, and was greater in 2009 than the younger age group’s share of deaths."

Instead of duck walking the bike, taking bad lines, being unable to turn a bike around, thinking that the rear brake is the primary brake, people should be honing their skills. IMHO

BTW I still like having ABS

Old 01-29-2012 | 12:36 PM
wingman05
Road Captain

Once it saves your bacon, as it has mine, you will be sold on ABS! The ABS works as advertised if the bike is ridden responsibly.

Old 01-29-2012 | 12:40 PM
qtrracer
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by psychocircus
4x4 said perfect, i have abs, they work just fine. i push mine pretty hard, im not a couch rider as you say but two things you said stand out above all else
1. your speed was too great entering the turn.
2. you started braking in the turn. which is what caused you to go down, not the abs.

like the guy said, learn how and when to use brakes( abs or otherwise)

the fact you responded this way to his comment tells everyone else here you how clueless you really are...

not bashing you really, but its not the abs systems fault, you two crucial mistakes...
Actually had you really read my original post you would have come away with some things that would have addressed your comments. I said my speed was greater than posted, not too great. I think that even the most casual rider can and does navigate turns at higher than the posted speeds given for a turn without much fuss. I never said I started braking in the turn, I said I was still braking upon entry and some of that had to do with the ABS deactivating the front brake before the turn due to the poor road surface(heat had cracked and wrinkled up the asphalt) and not let me slow down as I had anticipated I would so I kept on the brakes into the corner, not continuing to brake would have meant blowing the turn. And I never went down, I was leaned over and when the ABS let the front brake re-activate the front wheel crabbed to the left(I was in a left hand turn) and before I went down I let off the brake. We may only find the faults of some things when using them at their limits. And because many use the HD touring bike equipped with ABS at below these limits they would likely not have experienced this but that doesn't make the system flawless or my riding at fault. I think that for most the system can be very valuable but if a rider is more aggressive than the parameters that the engineers took into account when designing and programming this system, what I reported on may happen to others as it happened to me.

Last edited by qtrracer; 01-29-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2012 | 12:48 PM
Clocker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EricD10563
In 1975 80% of the motorcycle fatalities were in the youngest age groups <29 by 2009 the older age group fatalitles exceeded the younger group.

To many guys that I know practice looking good than learning how to ride their ride and when you exceed their limit then they say you ride too fast.

"Meanwhile, if motorcycles have become less popular among young people in their 20s, the two demographic trends would explain why the share of motorcycle deaths represented by the 50+ age group is increasing, and was greater in 2009 than the younger age group’s share of deaths."

Instead of duck walking the bike, taking bad lines, being unable to turn a bike around, thinking that the rear brake is the primary brake, people should be honing their skills. IMHO

BTW I still like having ABS
And, that generation in 1975 are now the guys in the 50+ age group. Interesting.

Old 01-29-2012 | 12:54 PM
molinoman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TO34
There are a few issues at play when it comes to HD and ABS, the ABS on a HD is for the sofa riders (which I have moved on to). It really is more for the wet slick foul weather issues one would have to deal with. IT is NOT for aggressive riding in any factor because 1st the "low rent" suspension. H-D should of addressed that issue. Then moved forward with development of the ABS.
Don't believe me go jump on any BMW with ABS and push it hard across the track (because I wouldn't want to be blamed for a ticket.) That is how motorcycle ABS should work. I really do like Harley but, just a reminder to the Op it is a Harley, slow down enjoy the scenery. Wana go fast in the corners, should of got a different bike.

Btw +1 on trail breaking always a good thing to master no matter the ride.
TO34 got it right!

Dennis

Old 01-29-2012 | 12:58 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Clocker
And, that generation in 1975 are now the guys in the 50+ age group. Interesting.
I agree but many that I've known did not ride much when they were in their 20's and then got rid of the bike and then the kids got older and they got their dream bike and then thought they had 35 years of riding experince, not. Then the first piece of equipment they got was a vest and a HOG patch.

Old 01-29-2012 | 12:59 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by blusmbl
I'll 2nd a few of the comments placing the blame on the suspension. I'm surprised at how bad the stock suspension is on the touring bikes...it's not all that plush, but doesn't handle larger bumps either. On smooth roads I'm happy with the ABS performance... on rougher roads (where car ABS still works fine) the bike doesn't do as good of a job, because the tire isn't being kept in good contact with the road.

Now you guys have me thinking of wiring up the ABS power circuit to the accessory switch in the nacelle.
You could just wire a little micro toggle switch into the front wheel sensor wire. No need to take power off the whole system.

Old 01-29-2012 | 01:11 PM
molinoman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlueKite
Not sure why anyone would want to ride a touring bike "aggressively", I thought the whole point was to chill out and enjoy the scenery, but each to their own.

What this thread highlights - yet again - is the poor state of the stock suspension on these bikes. Is it really too much to ask HD put decent quality shocks on these bikes considering their price point? Perhaps they should stick a few hundred quid on the price and give the customers the quality components stock, but frankly, they should have got that when they paid top dollar/pounds for a new bike.

There's no good reason why people who've just parted with 20 grand for a motorcycle finding themselves on the Ohlins website within weeks looking for an upgrade. The bike should be at the top of its game OUT THE DOOR.
And another good statement making a great point. I don't even have a Harley yet but I am constantly amazed (and it isn't just Harley) that most bikes seem to need to have their shocks upgraded when that should be the one thing on the bike that should not have to be or if you just have to have the greatest "suspension" system on your bike then buy it but not because the original suspension is that bad.

Dennis

Old 01-29-2012 | 01:57 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kingkingking
You could just wire a little micro toggle switch into the front wheel sensor wire. No need to take power off the whole system.
Not disagreeing with you outright, all I can say is that, in my experience, any time you cut the signal from the feedback device in a closed loop control system you can expect seriously unpredictable results.

If you are 100% certain this disables the entire system and reverts to non ABS then I will accept that, but if in doubt then I would not advocate this approach at all.

Quick Reply: This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks