Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012 | 09:09 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Devil Dog
The biggest downside to ABS brakes on Harleys is that you're forced to take it to the stealership to have them bled properly (they need to connect it to their "Digital Technician" in order for the solenoids to open up so that all the fluid may be flushed through).

I do my own work, so if anybody knows a way around this, I'd love to hear it.
Remove all the old fluid from the master cylinder reservoir, fill with fresh, and bleed the system being careful to not let the fluid level get low enough to suck any air. I think this will work good enough. The next time the solenoids open when the ABS engages will allow the fresh in. Very little old will be left in the system. If you are really fussy you could re-flush the system after the ABS engagement.

Last edited by dswansbiker; 01-29-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2012 | 09:14 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kingkingking
If you just follow the front sensor cable up into the nacelle (fairing) - there is a connector thats really easy to get to.

You unplug the front sensor and that disables ABS on both axles.

Its quicker than pulling the fuse. To reactivate ABS you plug the sensor back in and you have to cycle power off and on for the ABS to work again.
Good info. It should be easy to add a switch to this. I would like the ability to switch it on and off at will. I hate it in bumpy curves, but it did save my *** last year. Up till then I thought it was a stupid accessory.

Last edited by dswansbiker; 01-29-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-29-2012 | 09:58 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

"ABS brakes are for the unskilled rider, not for me. I'm much too good of a rider to need or want ABS brakes. I like to ride 'aggressively' (defined as entering turns too fast for the conditions) and I am proud of that."

Such arrogance! The kind of arrogance that gets people killed. I hope that is not your fate.

Old 01-29-2012 | 10:10 AM
psychocircus
Road Master

Originally Posted by qtrracer
The system is for couch riders only, not aggressive riders. The fact that you responded this way tells me A. That you want ABS and B. don't push at all when riding. I love it when someone tells me I need to learn how to ride.
4x4 said perfect, i have abs, they work just fine. i push mine pretty hard, im not a couch rider as you say but two things you said stand out above all else
1. your speed was too great entering the turn.
2. you started braking in the turn. which is what caused you to go down, not the abs.

like the guy said, learn how and when to use brakes( abs or otherwise)

the fact you responded this way to his comment tells everyone else here you how clueless you really are...

not bashing you really, but its not the abs systems fault, you two crucial mistakes...

Old 01-29-2012 | 10:28 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by coolerman69
Preach on brother! I have said the same thing all along. Experienced riders dont need ABS and most of us dont want it.
I'd disagree with that, too. Most people can stop fine in the dry, and experienced people can very marginally outbrake the ABS system in most dry road situations. It's the "oh crap" moment in a misty rain crossing an oil soaked intersection where it can help just about everybody. If you think you can stop better than ABS in that scenario, you're just kidding yourself.

I agree it has drawbacks, and I wouldn't want it active in an aggressive riding situation, but for regular commuting to and from work or on lazy touring I'm glad my bike has it.

Old 01-29-2012 | 10:29 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

Just to add my 2 cents

Yeah I hate the way bumps set off the abs while braking, but sure love the way it keeps the rear wheel from locking in "less than ideal situations" in my everyday commute.
I don't know, but to me the plus's out weigh the negatives

Old 01-29-2012 | 10:47 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

Some people believe that their "skills" can overcome the laws of physics. They do crazy things and often wind up injured or even dead. Then they blame their failures on their equipment or others when the real culprit is their own recklessness.

Old 01-29-2012 | 11:03 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

ABS has saved my bacon for sure. Had a Kamikazi deer try to take me out last year and there was no time to do anything but find as much brakes as possible, immediately. I have had the ABS kick in when I didn't like it. Coming to a stop on loose or bumpy surfaces can cause it to activate. Still I love it. A touring bike is not supppsed to be a track bike. It can be done, but why?

Old 01-29-2012 | 11:26 AM
Recycled
Road Captain

A lot of interesting comments.
The best advise given thus far is the benefit of upgrading the suspension to maximize tire to road contact. That is great advise whether you were intending to keep the ABS or not.
I don't much like the idea of turning it off with a switch because nobody can predict when you will need it. Thats the whole point of ABS, to activate when traction is lost. If you have no traction, you have no control. Mine has kicked in a couple of times to my benefit recently. Once on a sand blown stretch leading into a tight turn and a flash frozen bridge overpass. Both times I was oblivious to the road condition when the ABS activated and served as an early warning more or less. Point being, if you don't like ABS eliminate it altogether and just ride the bike within its and your limitations and just hope a panic or surprise situation doesn't get the best of you when ABS could have helped.

Old 01-29-2012 | 12:03 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
From: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians

Wow, lots of future organ donors here.

Quick Reply: This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks