Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012 | 09:44 PM
TO34
Road Warrior

There are a few issues at play when it comes to HD and ABS, the ABS on a HD is for the sofa riders (which I have moved on to). It really is more for the wet slick foul weather issues one would have to deal with. IT is NOT for aggressive riding in any factor because 1st the "low rent" suspension. H-D should of addressed that issue. Then moved forward with development of the ABS.
Don't believe me go jump on any BMW with ABS and push it hard across the track (because I wouldn't want to be blamed for a ticket.) That is how motorcycle ABS should work. I really do like Harley but, just a reminder to the Op it is a Harley, slow down enjoy the scenery. Wana go fast in the corners, should of got a different bike.

Btw +1 on trail breaking always a good thing to master no matter the ride.

Old 01-28-2012 | 09:46 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

I like ABS for what its intended for. Its helped me in a rapid stop in a low traction, wet road situation. Day to day situations where the truck may pull out in front to me kind of stuff. That said, there is a reason that race bikes don't have ABS. Riding very aggressively applies forces to the bikes and wheels that makes the system think its locking up when in fact its not. You probably use a lot of front brake entering the corner which lightens the back of the bike. Hit a bump and ABS thinks the wheel is locked when in fact its not. You lose braking. I agree with the post that it would be nice to have a switch. People can say what they want but anybody who has any track time under their belt will push these fat pigs past their limits. Its a little crazy but fun.

Old 01-28-2012 | 10:13 PM
NickD
Road Master

I want "steel" between my throttle and intake, not electrons.

I want nothing but brake fluid between my pedal and pads. I'm my own ABS system.

Old 01-28-2012 | 10:16 PM
ltmdl90
Road Captain

They saved my life During ocean city bike week last year.

Old 01-28-2012 | 10:36 PM
coz300
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lh4x4
They worked just like they should. It's you that needs to learn how to ride and use ABS in turns.

Ya, You needs to learn how to ride... Bullshit.. If I want to grab some hard brake, I don`t want some device taking over. It comes on when not expected. It may be good for the unskilled in a panic situation but no thanks for me.

Old 01-28-2012 | 11:05 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior

1986 bagger..never a ABS. Highsided If you knew what cars did when we went out-of-control,. . ... ... .. . . . Pumpming the brake.

Morris code to live another day.

Last edited by oppirs; 01-29-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-28-2012 | 11:11 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

There are some videos on YouTube and elsewhere where people have locked up the rear wheel on a bike, then the bike goes sideways (which it always will when the rear wheel locks up) then when they let off the brake a little too late the bike highsides and throws them off and chaos ensues. This is one of the biggest reasons ABS is on bikes, to prevent going down hard in situations like this. Although the guys in this post who have shown us how big their internet dicks are obviously are way too skilled to need ABS so more power to them.

I am not a highly skilled racer type, but I did have to go through a very difficult 2 week Harley Davidson police motor school several years ago and I thanked God that we had ABS on the training bikes ('09 Road King Police bikes). We had to do hundreds of rapid braking with turn outs and without ABS, some of us would have highsided or crashed for sure. My personal bike does not have ABS but I wish it did. Fortunately my department's '09 Electra Glide police model does and it has had to work for me a few times.

Old 01-28-2012 | 11:39 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

I think you should pull the fuse and take total control of your brakes.

We have some bumpy roads here and I've had lights turn yellow at the wrong time. I'll grab enough brake to stop myself before getting to the light without engaging the ABS but I'll hit a bumpy stretch and the ABS will engage and my expected stopping distance is out the window. I'll wind up in the middle of the intersection while the light turns red if I stay on the brake, so I roll on hard and blow the light.

I don't ride very aggressively so I'm mostly satisfied with my ABS. I just hope a car doesn't pull out in front of me or turn left in front of me under those conditions.

ABS is pretty new to HD so maybe they'll work it out soon.

Down shifting while on the rear brake can cause the ABS to engage.

Last edited by smithbrl; 01-28-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2012 | 11:43 PM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member

I do agree with qtrracer and I have experienced the exact same thing. Though I am in support of ABS the H-D system does need improvement but instead of turning it off, I am trying to live with it's limitations.

Old 01-29-2012 | 12:04 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by smithbrl
I think you should pull the fuse and take total control of your brakes.
If you just follow the front sensor cable up into the nacelle (fairing) - there is a connector thats really easy to get to.

You unplug the front sensor and that disables ABS on both axles.

Its quicker than pulling the fuse. To reactivate ABS you plug the sensor back in and you have to cycle power off and on for the ABS to work again.

Quick Reply: This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks