Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012 | 07:11 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

qtrracer, if your writing above is accurate and you went into the turn so hard that you activated your ABS I hope you realize you would have locked your wheel without them. The fact that they came on in a curve says you were riding beyond your ability. But you know this by your statement about not needing anyone to tell you how to ride because your not going to listen. And you're right, you only need someone to follow you and call 911. Man up and learn from your mistake and stop blaming technology.

Ride well, accept advise,

Jim

Old 01-28-2012 | 07:12 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member

..first they took control of the brakes away..then they took control of the throttle away...and some folks call these "improvements!"......keepin my 05, that's for sure...

Old 01-28-2012 | 07:32 PM
qtrracer
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Badfinger
qtrracer, if your writing above is accurate and you went into the turn so hard that you activated your ABS I hope you realize you would have locked your wheel without them. The fact that they came on in a curve says you were riding beyond your ability. But you know this by your statement about not needing anyone to tell you how to ride because your not going to listen. And you're right, you only need someone to follow you and call 911. Man up and learn from your mistake and stop blaming technology.

Jim
I have taken much advice from many different qualified sources. I have ridden over my head enough times to know when it happens. This was not one of those times. I can tell by the comments made by some that they have ride much differently than I do. I will ride well, Thank you for the well wishes.

Old 01-28-2012 | 07:51 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Badfinger

Jim
You are perectly entitled to your opinions but many of us will disagree. Just remember they are only opinions and not necessarily right or wrong for every other rider. When it comes to riding styles, what works best for one is not necessarily best for everyone.

The OP was expressing a phenomenon with the ABS system that many other riders, including me, have experienced. ABS is not always the savior and can be a safety issue in itself under certain conditions.

No need for the OP to "man up". As for learning from his mistake (if you even call it a mistake), he did! He learned that he could negotiate the situation he was in better if he didn't have the ABS and therefore decided to disable his ABS. I'd say he learned pretty well.

Old 01-28-2012 | 08:01 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by qtrracer
If you have read my posts in the past concerning ABS brakes on HD's you know I have been on the fence with ABS since my purchase of my ABS equipped '08 FLHX. Well today I got a big surprise while taking some canyon roads in my area. While entering a turn at admittedly higher than the posted speed I was still braking upon entry and I encountered some road irregularities that triggered my ABS to disengage so I didn't slow down like I had anticipated but that wasn't the surprise. The surprise was when the ABS let the brake re-engage at almost the apex and the front wheel crabbed........it was quite the shock.
I've had this happen to me. Getting the latest ABS software downloaded at the dealer helped somewhat but upgrading my suspension helped the most by keeping the tires in contact with the road while braking on bumpy surfaces.

Old 01-28-2012 | 08:01 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

qtrracer, I've got a question about this, how did the ABS reengage in the apex of the corner? Are you saying because of the irregularities that you had to stay on the brakes all the way into the apex to wipe some speed because the ABS was kicking in? Haven't experienced this yet, but curious as to the conditions. Definitely not good with it reengaging in the apex.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2012 | 08:06 PM
Red9
Road Captain

Never liked it in a car, won't have it on a bike.

I guess I've always just found it kind of hard to understand a safety feature designed to accept (and promote) operator panic... wtf?

Been riding since the late 70's and have found that paying attention is the best safety feature money can't buy.
Can only think of one time I got on the brakes hard enough to momentarily lock up the rear but even then never came close to highsiding or laying it down.

I know a lot of people won't like this but I wonder how many riders realize the amount of braking power there is in the front brake.
Or... when the front brake shouldn't be used or used sparingly.
Or how easy it is to lock up the rear on a bagger under hard braking.

I guess what I am trying to say in a nice way is I've rode with a lot of people over the years and I can't believe how many of them should be walking.... lol

I honestly believe a lot of riders get into bikes at a later age and think since they been driving vehicles for years they know how to safely operate any highway machine so they won't take the time or put in the effort to learn.

Just my .02.

Old 01-28-2012 | 08:17 PM
Bushrider
Tourer

I like to go pretty hard at times too but I haven't experience this. Maybe I'm just getting old and slowing down.

I'm sold on ABS especially for high latitude and altitude where you can encounter icy conditions any time of the year.

It is no substitute for care and skill but it's turned some "oh sh*t" moments into "no big deal".

Last edited by Bushrider; 01-28-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2012 | 08:25 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NMNSG08
personally i think abs has it's place,but not for agrressive seasoned riders.
I've disable all ABS in my newer vechicles. Older drivers know how to power slide. ect. I really never liked ABS, All drive, traction control.

But I can understand the youngerfolk can't drive w/o ABS unless they experienced an old '75 Ford LTD/Caddy in the winter w/balding tires.

Last edited by oppirs; 01-28-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2012 | 08:33 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by qtrracer
The system is for couch riders only, not aggressive riders. The fact that you responded this way tells me A. That you want ABS and B. don't push at all when riding. I love it when someone tells me I need to learn how to ride.
If you are applying your brakes while in a curve and not before, 4X4 is correct, you need to learn riding technique.

Last edited by checkers; 01-28-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks