Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012 | 02:53 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I have a 21" front and my ABS works fine, I've already had the chance to try it on I-75 when a nice person decided they wanted to get in my lane while I was doing 70 and they were doing about 40, lol, though I wasn't laughing at that time. All of us have our opinions, but I'm sticking with my ABS.

I wasn't suggesting not having the ABS. I was saying it makes its flaws more apparent on a taller wheel.

I could make my ABS misbehave with the 21", not so much with the 18". This could be the effect of the height or the contact patch. Probably both.

Old 01-31-2012 | 02:55 PM
davewear
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Pretty good description. Like you stated though, it's very different when you are out there doing it, not watching or reading about how to do it. The first time you miss the apex at speed is pretty telling on if a guy is gonna like it or just go through the motions. The new kid that really has impressed me is the 2010 125 champ Marq Marquez. He finished 2nd in points MotoGp 2 in 2011(his first year in gp2) and no pointed in 3 races due to crashes and didn't race the last 2 Gp's of the season(due to surgery needed after a crash in practice in maylasia). The kid has a real talent. He will be back with Repsol in the GP 2 class this year
no doubt moto 2 is good racing! gonna be interesting to see how crt and motogp mix.... poor edwards......

Old 01-31-2012 | 03:17 PM
firefighter156
Road Master

Originally Posted by qtrracer
If you have read my posts in the past concerning ABS brakes on HD's you know I have been on the fence with ABS since my purchase of my ABS equipped '08 FLHX. Well today I got a big surprise while taking some canyon roads in my area. While entering a turn at admittedly higher than the posted speed I was still braking upon entry and I encountered some road irregularities that triggered my ABS to disengage so I didn't slow down like I had anticipated but that wasn't the surprise. The surprise was when the ABS let the brake re-engage at almost the apex and the front wheel crabbed........it was quite the shock. Don't post on how I caused the incident, or how I was going too fast. I have ridden many other non ABS bikes in the same canyons so I know what to expect. I now will be de-activating my ABS as soon as possible. I don't care how many other lives ABS has saved, it's is still too unpredictable on these bikes for me to trust it with my life. You guys do what you want, I'm out on this system, King, we were right!!!
Do as you wish. I'll leave mine intact

Old 01-31-2012 | 03:20 PM
qtrracer
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by davewear
no doubt moto 2 is good racing! gonna be interesting to see how crt and motogp mix.... poor edwards......
Yes the crt idea is kinda cool but we shall see how it is utilized, no more 2st 125's, 1000 cc's for this year for GP and yeah that on colin.

Old 01-31-2012 | 04:43 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

I still miss the 500's

Old 01-31-2012 | 05:02 PM
davewear
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by turn8a
I still miss the 500's
No doubt, that was fun watching. Wish they'd get rid of TC in motogp but it has been trickling down to production bikes quite successfully and I guess that's the point....

Old 01-31-2012 | 09:48 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain

I have been reading this post and agree that there are points to both sides. It reminds me about seatbelt discussions of old, in the beginning many would say that they knew someone that was alive because they were not wearing a SB. There will always be exceptions, however the facts are that you are better off wearing a SB then not wearing a SB. I think the same goes for ABS, there will always be the exception were having ABS isn't as good as not having it, but in my opinion those are exceptions and the odds are better if you have ABS